Women’s World Cup 2023

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Tracking for sure, and watching the games that are at reasonable times! Go USA!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
My eldest son has been watching and giving me unsolicited baseball-level statistics about it. It’s summer, so like the 24 hours of Le Mans I’ve been letting him watch it all. Gotta let him pursue his passions when he can.

He can hardly wait to watch Sunday’s the match on the 1st.

EDIT: Been on vacation since June, lost track of days.

Last edited:

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes. Our daughter plays and I grew up playing so our family has enjoyed watching together.

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My eldest son has been watching and giving me unsolicited baseball-level statistics about it.
I’m that guy in my family. They much prefer me talking about high press vs mid block than fishing adventures/misadventures though!

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My eldest son has been watching and giving me unsolicited baseball-level statistics about it. It’s summer, so like the 24 hours of Le Mans I’ve been letting him watch it all. Gotta let him pursue his passions when he can.

He can hardly wait to watch Sunday’s match.
Which match?
US team needs to play better than they did against Netherlands if they want to repeat. I’m blaming coaching. Several strong teams including Germany who impressed me.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Who saw the Irish get an Olympico, one of the most perfect corner kicks possible. Only 3rd player in WC and first for women.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Which match?
US team needs to play better than they did against Netherlands if they want to repeat. I’m blaming coaching. Several strong teams including Germany who impressed me.
Apparently the first is a Tuesday and not this Sunday. I think it’s Portugal?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Yeah, I've been tuning in. It's been interesting to see the youngsters on the team. As Robert mentioned, they sure started slow. But man, once they got it goin, they look super fast (albeit still a little sloppy). It seems like the key players on this team are just young (outside of the obvious).

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yes, watching. A daughter played before switching to basketball, so I learned to appreciate the game then. When I was a kid there was virtually no soccer in Western Washington.
One report from a bar owner I read was that their turnout is significantly larger than for the men’s Cup matches. Glad to hear it’s coming around for the women. They’re certainly aggressive.
I remember some of Kate’s matches against boys teams. Invariably the boys would wink at each other, confident and every one of them a primadona. The girls played as a team, and kicked ass. The thunderstruck boys usually rallied in the second half. Good times.

Last edited:

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I thought our ladies played well. They broke down defensively one time. That was one time too many.
LaVelle made a huge difference. Her passing changes the game. Kid can't stay healthy though.
Netherlands were very good at taking professional fouls in the midfield. Our ladies need to find a way to score when the opposition plays as defensively as the Netherlands did. I think Lavelle is the key in doing that.
Sophia Smith is a fantastic player.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I watched the Vietnam match (which should have been far more than 3-0) but missed the Netherlands one.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I thought our ladies played well. They broke down defensively one time. That was one time too many.
LaVelle made a huge difference. Her passing changes the game. Kid can't stay healthy though.
Netherlands were very good at taking professional fouls in the midfield. Our ladies need to find a way to score when the opposition plays as defensively as the Netherlands did. I think Lavelle is the key in doing that.
Sophia Smith is a fantastic player.
In the US, women’s soccer is played at a higher level than the men’s team…ditto for tennis…

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Really? Not buying it
The US Women’s team have won four of the last eight World Cups…the US Men’s team?…to quote my Spanish teacher “Eduardo, you get a zero”…

Serena Williams has won more majors in tennis than all the US men combined since before Andy Roddick won the last one, the US Open in 2003…
Not even mentioning Gold Medals at the Olympics…

Last edited: