Winter Subalpine Hike

A half-day this Friday spawned an instinct to hike something out of town, high enough to keep the temps a few degrees cooler and crowds away. The trail was severely overgrown and at times made me side step or carry the tube but an empty trailhead had me bursting with glee.

F215A7FE-382B-4F7D-9C1F-CB1DE35FA0A0.jpeg

3DB82E3C-2DBE-481F-933A-B34FE456ED35.jpeg

When these Cumberland tubes went on sale for $99 I bought two. An ability to inflate via mouth, patchable, and a relatively tough nylon exterior makes a no brainer when bushwhacking. Also when deflated can be made to a small footprint, probably more suited to this trail. After a couple mile hike, the lake was deep and cold no place to test an off-season storage hole. Glad I brought the pump and thankfully no patching was required.

97EDFC2E-979A-42D0-B251-949E45DBC801.jpeg

As a first fish a 12-14in cuttie had my choice of a 4wt well suited, maybe not so much for what was to come.

7FEA7AC5-0D16-4E58-BC64-2D3C37E7C24D.jpeg

Some time lapsed but I would see a rise every 30 minutes about the lake, with a couple being those large fish sipping takes. You know, the ones where you see roller waves and maybe an odd shoulder or nose? It was a midge hatch and intermixed mayfly, both extremely small.

Tight lining a hot headed timber at about shoal bottom (15ft) the next fish TOOK my fly. Right away it raced to the surface leaving rod and line pointing 90 degrees in another direction. The bow leapt to the sky like a heavyweight ballerina and flopped back in perfect cannonball contest winning form. Racing to the bottom, the fish screamed a run requiring palming backup to the Orvis 1915 reel. Too big to hold! Easily a 6lb trout or more and right before netting another of the same size followed.

F5A3FEE4-6529-4ACE-839E-6671AD3EC578.jpeg

She had a small slit to the dorsal but the caudal was strong and fin all present, even if a little small for her size 😊

C99ECB4C-1E1C-4CD4-8A47-3B76E1F2B610.jpeg

500DD299-311D-4879-A618-89DA7ED5D14F.jpeg

Afterwards a fresh PB&J accompanied my content, along with a very vocal young mottled eagle and my nemesis, otters! I swear there’s not a trip I don’t get peed on or in this case when they slapped the water while going, I about got myself. Walking back to my tube they snorted and slapped the water some more as if laughing, fun little sh*ts always bring a smile.

FABA13C3-1539-4B12-A7C2-00398EFA2AB9.jpeg

A pretty little cuttie was the last fish, a relatively slow outing for 3-4 hours. The temperature swing wasn’t helping, but no complaints obviously. An additional red fox (not pictured) made the wildlife worth it alone.

A1E01C3E-37BA-436B-B299-EF6AC88D981E.jpeg

That subalpine lake somewhere you’ve been wondering about is calling, get out and enjoy a trip this late winter.

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
When one switches from how many inches a fish is to how much it weighs, that is when you know it is a great fish!

Great job getting out and catching some very nice as well as a great fish...

Engee

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A half-day this Friday spawned an instinct to hike something out of town, high enough to keep the temps a few degrees cooler and crowds away. The trail was severely overgrown and at times made me side step or carry the tube but an empty trailhead had me bursting with glee.

View attachment 54673

View attachment 54674

When these Cumberland tubes went on sale for $99 I bought two. An ability to inflate via mouth, patchable, and a relatively tough nylon exterior makes a no brainer when bushwhacking. Also when deflated can be made to a small footprint, probably more suited to this trail. After a couple mile hike, the lake was deep and cold no place to test an off-season storage hole. Glad I brought the pump and thankfully no patching was required.

View attachment 54675

As a first fish a 12-14in cuttie had my choice of a 4wt well suited, maybe not so much for what was to come.

View attachment 54676

Some time lapsed but I would see a rise every 30 minutes about the lake, with a couple being those large fish sipping takes. You know, the ones where you see roller waves and maybe an odd shoulder or nose? It was a midge hatch and intermixed mayfly, both extremely small.

Tight lining a hot headed timber at about shoal bottom (15ft) the next fish TOOK my fly. Right away it raced to the surface leaving rod and line pointing 90 degrees in another direction. The bow leapt to the sky like a heavyweight ballerina and flopped back in perfect cannonball contest winning form. Racing to the bottom, the fish screamed a run requiring palming backup to the Orvis 1915 reel. Too big to hold! Easily a 6lb trout or more and right before netting another of the same size followed.

View attachment 54677

She had a small slit to the dorsal but the caudal was strong and fin all present, even if a little small for her size 😊

View attachment 54678

View attachment 54680

Afterwards a fresh PB&J accompanied my content, along with a very vocal young mottled eagle and my nemesis, otters! I swear there’s not a trip I don’t get peed on or in this case when they slapped the water while going, I about got myself. Walking back to my tube they snorted and slapped the water some more as if laughing, fun little sh*ts always bring a smile.

View attachment 54681

A pretty little cuttie was the last fish, a relatively slow outing for 3-4 hours. The temperature swing wasn’t helping, but no complaints obviously. An additional red fox (not pictured) made the wildlife worth it alone.

View attachment 54682

That subalpine lake somewhere you’ve been wondering about is calling, get out and enjoy a trip this late winter.
Great report. Makes me long for a little warmer weather. I've been researching new tubes. I like the Cumberland's open area on top of the pontoons. I like to attach a fly rod holder and sonar to the tube and the Fat Cat, and other Fat Cat type wannabe's don't have much space in front of the storage, bags. How do you like your Cumberland for fishing and packing?

Divad

Whitefish
Great report. Makes me long for a little warmer weather. I've been researching new tubes. I like the Cumberland's open area on top of the pontoons. I like to attach a fly rod holder and sonar to the tube and the Fat Cat, and other Fat Cat type wannabe's don't have much space in front of the storage, bags. How do you like your Cumberland for fishing and packing?
It does not pack down as small as some but it’s also not as expensive. Some universal $20 padded backpack straps w/ chest is not a bad addition for extended hikes. Also heavier than some of the lighter pack tubes but if you’re used to hiking with a backpack these are nothing. I bungee the deflated sides to the foam seat when I want a compact pack setup.

At 6’3” 220 I feel very stable and comfortable, it’s on the wider/larger end of tubes. Bigger than a lot of the packable FCs, but if you’re willing to hike it the size makes for a more confident experience. I love that it has valves that can inflate without a pump and patches easily with vulcanizing tire patches.

The four “rod holder” straps on the side of the storage/inside of tube need to have the ends snipped off and burnt (fraying). They will catch line and annoy you.

Pricing moves A LOT on these. Past 6 months on Amazon has it from $125 to $300, with current Amazon sold price of $243 on the higher end. If you can get one closer to $175 then I think they’re a good deal, and usually once or twice a season go on sale for $100-120. Too high of a price and I’d go with an Outcast branded tube as the quality is a little better all around.

88F50BB7-A69E-4664-A88B-30673F52A17A.jpeg

Then again I don’t see the value in that empty space in front of the storage, aside from the stability benefits the larger size provides. If that’s a determining factor you might have a different price point.

Cumberland’s customer service goes through Classic Accessories and they’ve been awesome in the past. You may even reach out and ask if the tube is going on sale soon.

Last edited:

Engee

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It does not pack down as small as some but it’s also not as expensive. Some universal $20 padded backpack straps w/ chest is not a bad addition for extended hikes. Also heavier than some of the lighter pack tubes but if you’re used to hiking with a backpack these are nothing. I bungee the deflated sides to the foam seat when I want a compact pack setup.

At 6’3” 220 I feel very stable and comfortable, it’s on the wider/larger end of tubes. Bigger than a lot of the packable FCs, but if you’re willing to hike it the size makes for a more confident experience. I love that it has valves that can inflate without a pump and patches easily with vulcanizing tire patches.

The four “rod holder” straps on the side of the storage/inside of tube need to have the ends snipped off and burnt (fraying). They will catch line and annoy you.

Pricing moves A LOT on these. Past 6 months on Amazon has it from $125 to $300, with current Amazon sold price of $243 on the higher end. If you can get one closer to $175 then I think they’re a good deal, and usually once or twice a season go on sale for $100-120. Too high of a price and I’d go with an Outcast branded tube as the quality is a little better all around.

View attachment 56108

Then again I don’t see the value in that empty space in front of the storage, aside from the stability benefits the larger size provides. If that’s a determining factor you might have a different price point.

Cumberland’s customer service goes through Classic Accessories and they’ve been awesome in the past. You may even reach out and ask if the tube is going on sale soon.
Thanks for all of the information. After researching new tubes to death I bit the bullet and ordered a Fat Cat LCS. I know it will be trouble free and I won't have to wonder if I made the right purchase. I like the urethane bladders and the overall size/features. As I said my other Outcast boat has been in service for over two decades and has a small leak. I was just ready for an upgrade.

Divad

Whitefish
Thanks for all of the information. After researching new tubes to death I bit the bullet and ordered a Fat Cat LCS. I know it will be trouble free and I won't have to wonder if I made the right purchase. I like the urethane bladders and the overall size/features. As I said my other Outcast boat has been in service for over two decades and has a small leak. I was just ready for an upgrade.
Outcast makes phenomenal boats you are going to have a blast 👍