Winston rods at Costco..whodda thunk

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I don't begrudge people spending big cash on fly rods if they've got it in their wallet. More power to them. Fancy rods are nice to cast, there's no doubt about it.

But I'm not that guy. There aren't enough zeros on the good side of my paycheck to play in that world. So my quiver is mostly filled with a lot of Echo, a little Reddington/TFO, and some used rods. The few more expensive rods I have don't catch me more fish than the Echos and they sure don't make my ungraceful casting look any better.

Maybe I'll get lucky and win the lottery someday. But probably not.

VirginiaSlim

Freshly Spawned
Winston has phenomenal service, whenever I bust a section and send one in, I email them to build an extra tip and they have always done so and for a very reasonable charge on top of the standard warranty fee. It seems to me in contrast to a company located on an island nearby, that Winston values having their previous lines of rods in circulation still being fished. My $.02. Kudos to them for sucking it up and buying the rest of the bandit rods.
Let me tell you my Winston service story. My Air2 5wt tip section snapped while I was pulling through a new leader (must’ve had a nick or defect—I was not pulling hard at all). Sent my rod into Winston and they received it June 26, 2023. I was really hoping to have it back for an August trip to Montana and Idaho. Despite reaching out by email and phone several times, I received no communication they received the rod until August 9, 2023, indicating repairs should take 6-12 weeks. Time went on and as of November 8, 2023, a service rep told me it should be 2 additional weeks because they changed material providers. Of course, it’s now January 6, 2024, and I still do not have my rod back. I’ve been without it the entire summer and fall. Nuts. I probably won’t buy another Winston largely due to this experience (and the fact they are so expensive). At that price point I don’t just expect nice craftsmanship but also great service on the programs they offer. If it takes 6 months or more to repair your current flagship model, probably just don’t offer repair service. Under promise and over deliver! Beautiful rod, though, and I enjoyed fishing it for the brief time I could.

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Let me tell you my Winston service story. My Air2 5wt tip section snapped while I was pulling through a new leader (must’ve had a knick or defect—I was not pulling hard at all). Sent my rod into Winston and they received it June 26, 2023. I was really hoping to have it back for an August trip to Montana and Idaho. Despite reaching out by email and phone several times, I received no communication they received the rod until August 9, 2023, indicating repairs should take 6-12 weeks. Time went on and as of November 8, 2023, a service rep told me it should be 2 additional weeks because they changed material providers. Of course, it’s now January 6, 2024, and I still do not have my rod back. I’ve been without it the entire summer and fall. Nuts. I probably won’t buy another Winston largely due to this experience (and the fact they are so expensive). At that price point I don’t just expect nice craftsmanship but also great service on the programs they offer. If it takes 6 months or more to repair your current flagship model, probably just don’t offer repair service. Under promise and over deliver! Beautiful rod, though, and I enjoyed fishing it for the brief time I could.
Inevitable when a new CEO is hired for his P&L background:
"New CEO Scott Foristall started as GM for Tycoon Fin-Nor and moved to Eagle Claw Fishing Tackle, then on to Johnson Outdoors where he was the Director of the Watercraft Business Unit. His most recent position was VP of Sales for Far Bank Enterprises. Scott brings years of successful business experience to direct the future of Winston and Bauer."

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve had a rod in for repair since the first week in September. I got them to confirm receipt the day they got it. I just hope I have it back by late spring early summer

VirginiaSlim

Freshly Spawned
Inevitable when a new CEO is hired for his P&L background:
"New CEO Scott Foristall started as GM for Tycoon Fin-Nor and moved to Eagle Claw Fishing Tackle, then on to Johnson Outdoors where he was the Director of the Watercraft Business Unit. His most recent position was VP of Sales for Far Bank Enterprises. Scott brings years of successful business experience to direct the future of Winston and Bauer."
I think that guy left. Either way I want my rod back. If I’m buying new rods in the future, it’ll probably be something from Orvis or TFO. Six months for a repair is wild. I’d venture they sell more Air2 9’ 5wt than any other model. If they’re currently producing them, they can get sections out. Ah well.