Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Screenshot_20220908-102503_Wireless emergency alerts.jpg
Phone was popping off with these all day yesterday... See they know where you are! Even though I have tracking turned off. It's still pretty green around here, wildfire risk is at moderate(yellow) not high. They have never turned power off before or threatened it even during those major wildfire years. Hope this isn't the new normal.

• Angry
Reactions: JS

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Phone was popping off with these all day yesterday... See they know where you are! Even though I have tracking turned off. It's still pretty green around here, wildfire risk is at moderate(yellow) not high. They have never turned power off before or threatened it even during those major wildfire years. Hope this isn't the new normal.
I think it has more to to with the transmission lines from wherever it is generated to where it is consumed. If it travels through high risk areas, it might get shut down. Even if it is green and lush where you are, if you rely on those transmission lines, you'll lose power.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Decent east winds in the Gorge already, pushing in smoke from the east. There are a bunch of weather nerds around here and they all expect a big hot and dry east wind event. Relatively cheap for the power company to shut down for a bit compared to pay for damages from a wildfire.

Welcome to the new normal...

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Decent east winds in the Gorge already, pushing in smoke from the east. There are a bunch of weather nerds around here and they all expect a big hot and dry east wind event. Relatively cheap for the power company to shut down for a bit compared to pay for damages from a wildfire.

Welcome to the new normal...
It's breezy out here in Banks. Some family that live on the other side of town got shut off from 4pm to 9pm yesterday. Hopefully they keep it to the peak wind time.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
View attachment 31266

Well, looks like it is a general alert and they actually have no idea where you are from what you listed ("It's still pretty green around here, wildfire risk is at moderate(yellow) not high"). Would you prefer they not notify anyone? Then folks would complain about that.

Have a great one, and here's hopin' your power stays on.

cheers

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Blowing hard in Ephrata: flat and calm in Ellensburg.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
View attachment 31266
See they know where you are! Even though I have tracking turned off.
They send you a bill, you gave them your address when you signed up for a cell plan.

🤣 🙄 🤣 🙄

JFC

Breezy with a lot of haze and a strong smell of smoke on the canal.
Not going to be a great weekend out here. Woke up to some pretty decent breezes at 5, so figure it is on the way to the metro areas

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
They send you a bill, you gave them your address when you signed up for a cell plan.

🤣 🙄 🤣 🙄

JFC

Not going to be a great weekend out here. Woke up to some pretty decent breezes at 5, so figure it is on the way to the metro areas
My address is a PO Box in another county, sorry try again.... why are you always so combative??
-My cell plan is a business plan based not where I live

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

🤣 🙄 🤣 🙄

JFC

It already blew in a few hours ago. Yep, breezy and smoky/hazy.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter

Latest updates​

Power shut off times are estimated to begin within the timeframes provided below by area for Friday, Sept. 9:
  • Area 1: Mt. Hood Corridor/Foothills: Power Off
  • Area 2: Columbia River Gorge: Power Off
  • Area 3: Oregon City: 12 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
  • Area 4: Estacada: Power Off
  • Area 5: Scotts Mills: Power Off
  • Area 6: Portland West Hills 12 p.m. – 2 p.m.
  • Area 7: Tualatin Mountains 12 p.m. – 2 p.m.
  • Area 8: North West Hills 12 p.m. – 2 p.m.
  • Area 9: Central West Hills 12 p.m. – 2 p.m.
  • Area 10: Southern West Hills 12 p.m. – 2 p.m.
In addition, while the following areas are not in the designated high fire risk zones or in the PSPS areas, because of the imminent high winds, the extreme fire conditions currently found in Oregon and in partnership with local officials, the areas of Silverdale/Corbett and Silver Falls will also experience preventive outages.
  • Preventive Outage Area - Silver Falls: Power Off
  • Preventive Outage Area - Silverdale/Corbett: Power Off

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I wish, work all weekend, my only days off are Monday.
I mean, if the power is going to be off, are you going to make many sales? Maybe either buy the dry ice, pack the coolers to save the product and hang a Gone Fishin' sign in the door; or, put all the cartons on the street with some spoons and a "FREE ICE CREAM" sign and hang a Gone Fishin' sign in the door.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I mean, if the power is going to be off, are you going to make many sales? Maybe either buy the dry ice, pack the coolers to save the product and hang a Gone Fishin' sign in the door; or, put all the cartons on the street with some spoons and a "FREE ICE CREAM" sign and hang a Gone Fishin' sign in the door.
The potential power shut off is where I live, work in Portland. They aren't shutting Portlands power off... that I know of yet. But if they did, and have before with snow etc, I'm gone hahah.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
They also know which tower your phone is pinging. And c'mon, if you're not doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to fear, right?

I joke.

Blowing in Beaverton, but I don't think anyone is worried about suburban forest fires. Although, in the 2020 winds a giant branch came off an oak and nearly took out my fence. And my daughter's room. We've since taken out the dying oak in our yard.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
They also know which tower your phone is pinging. And c'mon, if you're not doing anything wrong, you don't have anything to fear, right?

I joke.

Blowing in Beaverton, but I don't think anyone is worried about suburban forest fires. Although, in the 2020 winds a giant branch came off an oak and nearly took out my fence. And my daughter's room. We've since taken out the dying oak in our yard.
I dunno... I may be one or 2 plants over the limit :censored:

Yea they ping any phone the area unless it's off forgot about that, missing persons etc. Smoke has definitely rolled in. Hopefully that will limit the high temp and maybe calm the wind, if it happens.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Latest updates​

Power shut off times are estimated to begin within the timeframes provided below by area for Friday, Sept. 9:
  • Area 1: Mt. Hood Corridor/Foothills: Power Off
  • Area 2: Columbia River Gorge: Power Off
  • Area 3: Oregon City: 12 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
  • Area 4: Estacada: Power Off
  • Area 5: Scotts Mills: Power Off
  • Area 6: Portland West Hills 12 p.m. – 2 p.m.
  • Area 7: Tualatin Mountains 12 p.m. – 2 p.m.
  • Area 8: North West Hills 12 p.m. – 2 p.m.
  • Area 9: Central West Hills 12 p.m. – 2 p.m.
  • Area 10: Southern West Hills 12 p.m. – 2 p.m.
In addition, while the following areas are not in the designated high fire risk zones or in the PSPS areas, because of the imminent high winds, the extreme fire conditions currently found in Oregon and in partnership with local officials, the areas of Silverdale/Corbett and Silver Falls will also experience preventive outages.
  • Preventive Outage Area - Silver Falls: Power Off
  • Preventive Outage Area - Silverdale/Corbett: Power Off

Whats the source on this? not doubting it but we were told Hood River wouldn't be affected.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I know power will be shut off at 5 pm today and turned back on Sunday morning sometime for Lane Electric customers up the McKenzie valley. High smoke cover here in Eugene/Springfield since dawn today.