Why no Polyethylene/Plastic watercraft?

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Friend who lives in the SF Bay Delta has owned a 17' Triumph CC skiff made out of Ropalene for over a decade, fishes it year around, great little boat. I looked for years for a 16' tiller Triumph, never found one for sale.

Pez Vela

Steelhead
National Geographic's February, 2023 magazine has a report "The Future is Folded" and how origami from early history and how this art form is being utilized in high tech ways. Included is a couple pages on:

INLET8.jpg

Folded kayaks! Fascinating. Check your kayak onto Delta's flight.
I have a cousin that owns one of those ... she loves it, but doesn't use it to fish.

cdnred

Life of the Party
I see that a lot of (older) folk mentioning having issues with loading a kayak or canoe on top of their vehicles. I saw a while back that Thule has a roof rack to help ease lifting the kayak on top the vehicle. The system is rather spending to purchase but it's another option that's available. You'd still need to load the kayak or canoe into the saddles but raising or lowering the rest of the way would be easier. The only issue is that you wouldn't be able to drive into the garage while the rack was still on the vehicle. This Thule is geared more for kayaks but I'm sure it could be adapted for canoes unless there's weight restrictions that come into play, I believe it can lift up to 75lbs..?

Last edited:

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I see that a lot of (older) folk mentioning having issues with loading a kayak or canoe on top of their vehicles. I saw a while back that Thule has a roof rack to help ease lifting the kayak on top the vehicle. The system is rather spending to purchase but it's another option that's available. You'd still need to load the kayak or canoe into the saddles but raising or lowering the rest of the way would be easier. The only issue is that you wouldn't be able to drive into the garage while the rack was still on the vehicle. This Thule is geared more for kayaks but I'm sure it could be adapted for canoes unless there's weight restrictions that come into play, I believe it can lift up to 75lbs..?

My sister uses this rack for her sea kayak. She just turned 81.

jerry

Steelhead
My comments may upset a few people, sorry in advance. I think of polyethylene vessels as a disposable item. They are largely difficult if not impossible to repair. I prefer fiberglass boats. They can require a little maintenance to the gelcoat or paint, usually doesn't amount to much. If by some chance you do have a serious failure it can be repaired back to an original condition. I have been around boats, building and repairing them for 60 years. One thing I hate to see or hear, rather it is wood, fiberglass, polyethylene or aluminum is someone dragging their boat over the ground.

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
This is my Backwater in the back of Yukon XL.. @58# I can get it in by myself, once boat is unloaded. Have had zero issues/maintenance for four years. Mounted lots of Scotty mounts for anchors, rod holders, Striker 4, cigar tray, drink holders etc. Boat does have a hard plastic strip down the keel that takes all the dragging abuse, and also have a kayak cart held on with cam straps.

Attachments

• In Denali XL.jpg
    In Denali XL.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 29

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I prefer fiberglass boats. They can require a little maintenance to the gelcoat or paint, usually doesn't amount to much. If by some chance you do have a serious failure it can be repaired back to an original condition. I have been around boats, building and repairing them for 60 years. One thing I hate to see or hear, rather it is wood, fiberglass, polyethylene or aluminum is someone dragging their boat over the ground.
A barren concrete launch ramp I often use offers two choices - the ramp or the rocks on either side of it. Having epoxied 20 oz 6" fibreglass tape 'landing strips' to the V apex of each hull of my Sportcat, always fun to watch folks cringe when they hear the sound of glass landing on concrete. Several dozen landings to date on those strips and they remain undamaged aside from a few nicks. Easy to redo if neccessary.

jerry

Steelhead
A barren concrete launch ramp I often use offers two choices - the ramp or the rocks on either side of it. Having epoxied 20 oz 6" fibreglass tape 'landing strips' to the V apex of each hull of my Sportcat, always fun to watch folks cringe when they hear the sound of glass landing on concrete. Several dozen landings to date on those strips and they remain undamaged aside from a few nicks. Easy to redo if neccessary.
I try to avoid the concrete ramps as best I can and launch and pull my boat out on the gravel or sand next to the ramp. I cringe every time I hear my boat contact the bottom, but you got to do what you got to do if you want to fish.

My issue with a canoe, at least when my kids were little, is that they are really annoying to load/transport/launch solo. My canoe hangs out like 10+ feet from my pickup bed and weighs like 80 lbs. I know that there are tricks where people can load them on top of a sedan or small SUV solo. But trying to do that while dealing with an energetic 4 year old... I dunno.

But once you are in the water, canoes shine for this sort of thing.
That's what duct tape and cam straps are for ... tie up the kid first, throw them in the van, THEN load the boat.

As to loading, it's pretty easy to do it solo. But you have to be able to get the canoe up on your shoulders by yourself, which is more about technique than strength. Then when you get to your car just rest the bow of the canoe gently on the back of your car, get out from underneath it and then just grab the back and lift it up on to the bars and slide it up.

I'm reading this thread with interest. I have had an Easy Rider canoe for nearly 40 years. It weighs 75#. I was always able to pick it up, flip it over onto my shoulders, and with the built in carrying yoke put it on or off a roof top rack on truck or car. I'm not sure if it's strength or balance, but I'm near certain that 75# weighs more than it used to. So I'm thinking of selling the canoe and replacing it with a lighter plastic SOT kayak in the 40 - 45# range, basically so that I can manhandle it onto a rooftop rack for some fishing when I don't want to trailer my pram.
Before you give up canoes you could also look at a kevlar layup. Probably get down into the 30-40lb range.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
I fish my polyethylene kayaks pretty hard, drag them up over all sorts of stuff. We've had them over ten years. I'll be the first to admit if it fails I am not going to be sad about looking at buying a different version (my yaks just don't seem to die). Meaning it is pretty easy to outgrow what worked for you in your 40s and need something a mite different as you move through your 50s and beyond. If I did get a hole in them, probably think about cutting up and tossing it in the recycle bin.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I fish my polyethylene kayaks pretty hard, drag them up over all sorts of stuff. We've had them over ten years. I'll be the first to admit if it fails I am not going to be sad about looking at buying a different version (my yaks just don't seem to die). Meaning it is pretty easy to outgrow what worked for you in your 40s and need something a mite different as you move through your 50s and beyond. If I did get a hole in them, probably think about cutting up and tossing it in the recycle bin.
Depending on the location of a leak in a poly kayak, as well as the type of poly, holes are quite reparable.

That said, while we don't wantonly abuse our SOTs, we don't baby them. They're kinda like one of those old Coleman canoes....we've got a 17' Coleman that we've owned for over 40 years....that's been everywhere.

Good SOT kayaks are damn tough, very reasonably priced, and worst case a replacement would just mean an even better kayak, selected from a huge number of makes and models.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
For stillwater, I've seen a lot of people using Walker Bay 8ft dinghy. They're a plastic boat sold by West Marine. Reasonably priced and manageable by one person. Slides into a truck bed. They also make a 10ft one. Seem well built..

RCF

Life of the Party
Many of the plastic boats are sailing dinghies, including Walkers. Due to that they have a round bottom and can be very tippy. Prams are the opposite with a flat bottom and not very tippy.

Last edited: