Why is it that....

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
...getting fly tying materials in the mail is so exciting?

it's just a couple of half saddles and a pile of big-ass hooks....but damn, was it exciting! I had a bit of hook restocking to do.

PXL_20230422_041033525~2.jpg

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I fell out of love with tying long ago, u am glad some of you guys still have the passion to create.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Like a kid in a candy store I much prefer purchasing FF tying materials from our local well-equipped flyshop, though I know that's not possible for a great many people due to location. I'm quite happy paying more than I'd likely pay online...I want them to survive. I sure as hell NEVER use flyshops as a display showroom for online purchases.

One thing though; it's dangerous having my wife accompany me to a flyshop...I'll end up buying a bunch of 'really gorgeous' exotic flytying materials she likes (and no idea of what they'd be good for). She also has a propensity to try to push me into purchasing beautiful high-end flyrods/flyreels.

God help me if Winston ever produces a lavender or periwinkel flyrod.

It is my sad burden and duty to bear such ill-treatment.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Kinda like Christmas morning when you were a kid
Fly tying is a great creative hobby
Do you use chickabou @clarkman ?
No. I've had the same small amount in my little baggie for ove 15 years

Last edited:

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Like a kid in a candy store I much prefer purchasing FF tying materials from our local well-equipped flyshop, though I know that's not possible for a great many people due to location. I'm quite happy paying more than I'd likely pay online...I want them to survive. I sure as hell NEVER use flyshops as a display showroom for online purchases.

One thing though; it's dangerous having my wife accompany me to a flyshop...I'll end up buying a bunch of 'really gorgeous' exotic flytying materials she likes (and no idea of what they'd be good for). She also has a propensity to try to push me into purchasing beautiful high-end flyrods/flyreels.

I cannot think of a more fantastically destructive partner for myself. Enjoy the ride!

Shad

Life of the Party
I buy everything I can (a vast majority) from my local fly shop, but if I can't get it there, it's great to be able to support other small shops and get what you need within a couple days. I get giddy when it shows up, too. Much better than about 99% of the mail I get....

One thing that's tricky is when you're ordering a material you aren't familiar with, particularly as regards size. I've ordered the wrong size more than once. Good news is that the wrong size for one purpose is just right for another. Can't have too many options when you need to improvise or just want to try something new....

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter

I feel you man…I once took my wife with me into a guitar shop…first thing she said was “buy the blue one”…

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Yep, I'm all for supporting the local shops, but when they don't stock anything I need, or the quality is subpar, I've gotta look elsewhere. That said, the vast majority of my stuff still comes from small, privately owned brick and mortar stores. Just not from around here.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My MO is to get excited about a fly, often posted here, do the research and purchase just the right hooks, feathers and hair, get it home and run out of steam. After umpteen years of this routine I realize now I have to stop. I now have a lifetime supply of stuff, often duplicates, for an avid tier, which I am not.
Maybe this year…

Reactions: M_D

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I haven't been in a fly shop since North 40 closed their shop in Omak. The only reason I went there is because it was out in the middle of nowhere and I was on my way to even further out in the middle of nowhere. Many fly shops are in cities or populated areas and I hate cities with a vengeance. The noise, filth, crime, crowding, traffic and gridlock make a visit to a fly shop less than appealing. I can order from the comfort of my recliner while watching TV or listening to music and always get enough stuff for my modest needs.

Tying season for me always opens on November 1st and that is when I usually submit an order to JStockard for my winter supplies. And it is always a surprise when the stuff arrives. I think-I bought all that stuff and spent all that money and it comes in that tiny little package??

Note: The nearest fly shop is about a 180 mile round trip...

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
It’s a dangerous hobby. Can almost become an obsession at times. Especially when the experimentation bug bites. 🤔

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
For quite a while I was sure it was cheaper (in the long run) to buy flies, especially considering the goodwill generated in the shop. But prices now are almost prohibitive. A dozen flies now pushes a Benjamin, making golf that much more attractive. A well appointed box is well over a Grand.