Why do you tie?

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
I have more flies than I will ever use but I still tie them. I don't sit down and tie assembly line style very often anymore. I will usually head downstairs before bed and sit and tie a fly. Often times I just down and start tying without an idea of what it's going to be. Other times I have a loose idea in my head before I start. I don't really need these flies to go fishing so it's kinda of become a hobby unto itself. I just try to make something I think looks cool. It's my way to unwind at the end of the day. I was wondering why do other people tie flies? What is your process?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Three key reasons:

1. Few store-bought fly patterns match what I want to throw. Someone recommended Swamp Donkey Flies fly tying company, which comes close, but $3/nymph chafes and I refuse to pay it.

2. It’s fishing related and I dislike watching TV (I have a hard time being passive).

3. My wife and two kids tie.

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
1. I don't get to fish nearly as often as I'd like, but tying flies is fishing-adjacent.
2. My job can be stressful and tying flies gives me a short break to get my head on straight.
3. I don't have many artistic outlets. I don't make music, or make art on paper or canvas. Each fly tying session is a little 5-10 minute mixed-media art project and gives me a sense of accomplishment. There's always room to improve.
4. I like handling the materials.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
It engages me with fishing and being on the river - even when I am at home.
I like how you said this, this is how I feel.
I tie my few confidence flies in bunches as needed, but often any more I'm tying two or three of something I get from you folks to play with. My confidence flies represent foods available year round and seem to always catch fish, the low volume stuff is more seasonal.
I too have boxes of flies that might never see the water.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Pretty similar to everyone else.

I tie because I just fucking love fishing and everything I can do to bring me closer to it brings me joy.
Also, catching a fish on your own tied fly is better than catching a fish on a fly bought at the store.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Everyone has so many of the same reasons for tying that I do.

It's a way to be connected to the water when you can't actually be there.

It's an artistic/creative outlet.

It's so much more fun to catch fish on something you created than on a pattern someone else created and you purchased.

Better than watching TV...although I will admit I watch a lot of sports, and I love tying while the game is on in the background.

As the OP said, I have so many flies, but I keep tying! One of the reasons is to restock the boxes with the patterns that worked well for me the previous season. Another reason is to experiment with new patterns...whether that be improve on one that maybe had an issue, or solve a problem from situations I may have run across from the previous season.

Kind if a weird one, but I like substituting materials on either commercial patterns, or my own. It might make it easier to tie, or the sub material might be cheaper, or maybe I just like the way it looks on the fly better. But really, it's kind of to show both myself and the collective "they" of the fly tying "pros" that just because they used brown UV Ice Dub (and are likely a hareline pro), doesn't mean that brown Arizona Diamond dub won't work just as well (if not better). There is no "holy grail" material, and don't be afraid to substitute!

Lastly, I take a fly fishing trip every year (sometimes 2!). Winter is slower for me at work, so I have a good amount of time to tie. One of my favorite things is putting a box (or 2, or 3) of flies togethor for those upcoming trips. Thinking about the hatches I will encounter, or the prey that the fish eat. Doing the research and coming up with my own patterns. I tied 3 boxes of ~400 flies for my trip last year. That was the first trip we took where every day but 1 was guided. Not only was the catching great, but I didn't fish a single fly that I didn't tie. That is satisfaction for me.

While we all know tying your own flies will not save you money, I just don't care at this point in my life. I want to fish patterns that the fish don't constantly see. I want to fish patterns that I created, and tied for a specific reason. Not only that, but I am a full blown material hoarder. I love shopping for materials. Hackle, both soft and dry fly, along with obscure feathers, realistic synthetic stuff, and dubbing are my jam. I have enough materials for my great grand kids lifetime. Unfortunately my kids have not caught the bug, and I am trying not to force it upon them.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Similar to Scott.....gotta do something with all those bucktails!

But also like many, it's the joy of creating something that actually catches fish.

I buy most of my trout nymphs and dries though mostly because I don't particularly enjoy tying flies where how you tie it doesn't matter with regard to fly movement if that makes sense. That's a big part of why I tie so many streamers. I'm after a particular action and then can make that happen at the vise....rinse and repeat with different materials. All part of the creative, yet practical process.

There are some exceptions to the rule, like those stupid easy eggs I fish and my stonefly nymphs I fish for trout...

Last edited:

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
WAIT a your saying that $500 Cree cape that shows up on eBay once a year isn’t in fact the cup of Christ?!

That is the one "color" of hackle that I don't own.

I don't understand why they cost so much. Barred dark ginger, or mixing grizzly and ginger look identical to me...

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't understand why they cost so much. Barred dark ginger, or mixing grizzly and ginger look identical to me...
Supply and demand, and I agree. I also think fish don’t care nearly as much as the tyers do.

But, if it’s the color and feather you need to perfectly re-create Heimlich Leakypeter III’s Marquis de Sade on a hand-forged hook you maybe aren’t as focused on whether the fish will eat it over one with mixed hackle.

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
I tie for my sanity. I tie because it's part of the journey of fly fishing. I tie because I love fish and the brief but unforgettable meeting it creates. I tie because fly fishing is a huge part of my life and my so called identity. I tie to completely immerse my mind in what is right in front of me, to try to create something beautiful in a fading world. I tie because I need to.

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I like the artsy creative process, crafting something with my hands, and catching fish with it satisfies my inner caveman :)

With only once a weekend opportunity to fish, tying is the next best thing to fishing.

Like I said, I like art and flies are working practical art.