Why do you fly fish?

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fly fishing can be very effective despite what many gear anglers say, but I don't think anyone kids themselves and pretends it is the best way to catch the most and the biggest fish. I first picked up a fly rod because I started chasing Sea Run Cutthroat at my local beach with an ugly stik, Blue Foxes, and Spoons, and would see all the other anglers on the beach using fly rods. The fly casts looked gorgeous, and the experience just felt so meditative compared to gear fishing. I went and bought myself an Echo Base kit, started it and sucked at it, I couldn't shoot line more than an inch. For the next year I was honestly and truly was only fly fishing out of spite, and to prove to myself that it is something I actually could do. I have to admit I kind of failed, since I decided to move to a shooting head line without really learning how to cast the crappy WF line that the Base came with. I don't regret it because the easier to cast line combined with the marginal improvements I had been making to my casts got my line out far enough to fish, and the positive feedback of hooking into fish on a fly rod for the first time has kept me motivated to keep fly fishing and keep practicing. My WF casts still suck but they are noticeably better and I am sure the more I use the WF lines the better they will get.

It was getting decent casts out for the first time and focusing on fishing while the line was in the water that made me actually start to love it. The great thing about fly fishing is how incredibly technical it can get. Fly fishing seems to have far more emphasis on the kinds of presentations you make, the way you skate a dry fly on the surface for Cutthroat, or swing a wet fly for Winter Steelhead on a pouring day with a river that is either all to yourself, or shared with just a few other crazy people. With gear angling, when you watch videos or read articles online, I feel like the culture places far more emphasis on the kind of gear you buy. I am not a fishing gearhead by any means, I don't like buying a lot of gear because I know I will only end up using a few pieces of it, and that I will loose tons to snags anyways. Yes, gear fishing can be almost as, equally, or more technical than fly fishing but there are less spaces where folks talk about learning to read water, how to technically control your spoons swings or the float of your bead downriver. In fact, most of what I apply when I gear fish rivers I learned by watching fly fishing videos. This is even true for downrigger fishing of all things. Fly fishing conditioned me to always be looking for tide rips, points where those rips and fish will congregate, jumping baitfish, and finners. Rather than obsessing over the fish finder, my lure (I use a total of four lures and two flashers for trolling and could probably reduce the gear I use to just two spoons and still catch fish). Rather than asking people for what the best areas to fish are, I've noticed that even when you troll for miles on end, you are catching most of your fish in similar places, and you can find more fish by studying the marine topography of those places that hold fish to be more effective with your time. There is something to be said about the simplicity of fishing with just a line, leader, and fly, and one of my best memories of last season wasn't even a fish, it was seeing other baitfish school around my fly because it blended in so well.

In order to be a good fly fisherman, you can't just cast a bait, let it sit, and call it good. You have to learn about the fish you are targeting, where they live, why they live there, and what they eat. Then of course, you need to learn about what they eat, how they behave at different times of the year, and what features dictate the habitat they reside in. By now if you have spent enough time studying, you might know more about the fishes habitat than the fish themselves.

Then of course there is the "tug". My first catch of a target species was the beautiful 3-4ish pound coho in my profile picture, which is probably the best first catch a fly fisherman can ask for. There is something about the experience of sharing the fishes home, wading knee deep, and feeling the fish tug on your fly while you hold the line with your bare fingers. That experience just cannot be emulated by any gear fishing technique I am aware of, and if it can I would just ask that you share it with me. I love hooking into a fish on gear, but it just is not and never will be the same. Something about fly fishing makes even the smallest fish fun. Fish I would not even notice at the end of my line on a gear rod I am able to feel every pull and tug with a fly rod when I strip it in, and I haven't even hooked a big fish yet!

Fly casting started as a source of frustration for me but now it is part of the joy. I find it incredibly meditative because in order to keep making good casts, I have to stay constantly focus. I can't afford to think about sources of stress, negativity, or other distractions because then I mess up my timing and the cast falls apart. Believe it or not, fly casting helps me in my everyday life. I really enjoy socializing and talking to people, but I am quite poor at managing conversation. Equating conversation to fly casting has noticeably improved how I go about managing social anxiety. If I feel myself becoming anxious, I think about waiting for the loop on my backcast to form and begin to unfurl, and relax because well, if I want to cast I have to. If I need to get a word in and don't know when, I imagine pauses in conversation as the point right after my rod tip stops at 1 o clock, and I let go of my line. I certainly find it more pleasurable than chucking lead all day.

That and I clearly suffer from some form of insanity considering the amount of gas I have burned and time I have spent, but I think that is most of us. I am really interested to hear your stories and why you all fly fish.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I've loved fishing since I was a little kid fishing Thornton Creek in North Seattle. We fished as much or more than I do now. It's one of the things I enjoy so much it's worth staying sober for. I'll gear fish with the family, but I really enjoy getting them to eat my fly more. Since I don't do any formal work outs any more it's also several hours of movement exercises. Each day out presents new puzzles, opportunities, and a chance to enjoy creation.

Bonefish Jack

Steelhead
From John Voelker, aka Robert Traver

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariable ugly; because of the television commercials, cocktail parties and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don’t want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup tastes better out there; because maybe someday I will catch a mermaid; and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant – and not nearly so much fun."

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I think for me the draw is the limitlessness of pursuit in fly fishing. Setting your own definition of what counts as fly fishing, what limits you put on yourself and relying on developing your skills over changing the equipment. I think one can constantly tighten the parameters in this game, all the way to planting your own bamboo and raising the right kind of pheasant for your flies or harvesting silkworms for gut.

It will never be possible to do everything possible in fly fishing. There will always be a greater challenge. Caught a world record species? Was it on top water? On your tie, on bamboo, skated, etc ... I'll find just as many challenges in this flyfishing if I live another 100 years and fish every day of them as I found when I first picked up a rod.

Fly fishing can be very effective despite what many gear anglers say, but I don't think anyone kids themselves and pretends it is the best way to catch the most and the biggest fish. I first picked up a fly rod because I started chasing Sea Run Cutthroat at my local beach with an ugly stik, Blue Foxes, and Spoons, and would see all the other anglers on the beach using fly rods. The fly casts looked gorgeous, and the experience just felt so meditative compared to gear fishing. I went and bought myself an Echo Base kit, started it and sucked at it, I couldn't shoot line more than an inch. For the next year I was honestly and truly was only fly fishing out of spite, and to prove to myself that it is something I actually could do. I have to admit I kind of failed, since I decided to move to a shooting head line without really learning how to cast the crappy WF line that the Base came with. I don't regret it because the easier to cast line combined with the marginal improvements I had been making to my casts got my line out far enough to fish, and the positive feedback of hooking into fish on a fly rod for the first time has kept me motivated to keep fly fishing and keep practicing. My WF casts still suck but they are noticeably better and I am sure the more I use the WF lines the better they will get.

It was getting decent casts out for the first time and focusing on fishing while the line was in the water that made me actually start to love it. The great thing about fly fishing is how incredibly technical it can get. Fly fishing seems to have far more emphasis on the kinds of presentations you make, the way you skate a dry fly on the surface for Cutthroat, or swing a wet fly for Winter Steelhead on a pouring day with a river that is either all to yourself, or shared with just a few other crazy people. With gear angling, when you watch videos or read articles online, I feel like the culture places far more emphasis on the kind of gear you buy. I am not a fishing gearhead by any means, I don't like buying a lot of gear because I know I will only end up using a few pieces of it, and that I will loose tons to snags anyways. Yes, gear fishing can be almost as, equally, or more technical than fly fishing but there are less spaces where folks talk about learning to read water, how to technically control your spoons swings or the float of your bead downriver. In fact, most of what I apply when I gear fish rivers I learned by watching fly fishing videos. This is even true for downrigger fishing of all things. Fly fishing conditioned me to always be looking for tide rips, points where those rips and fish will congregate, jumping baitfish, and finners. Rather than obsessing over the fish finder, my lure (I use a total of four lures and two flashers for trolling and could probably reduce the gear I use to just two spoons and still catch fish). Rather than asking people for what the best areas to fish are, I've noticed that even when you troll for miles on end, you are catching most of your fish in similar places, and you can find more fish by studying the marine topography of those places that hold fish to be more effective with your time. There is something to be said about the simplicity of fishing with just a line, leader, and fly, and one of my best memories of last season wasn't even a fish, it was seeing other baitfish school around my fly because it blended in so well.

In order to be a good fly fisherman, you can't just cast a bait, let it sit, and call it good. You have to learn about the fish you are targeting, where they live, why they live there, and what they eat. Then of course, you need to learn about what they eat, how they behave at different times of the year, and what features dictate the habitat they reside in. By now if you have spent enough time studying, you might know more about the fishes habitat than the fish themselves.

Then of course there is the "tug". My first catch of a target species was the beautiful 3-4ish pound coho in my profile picture, which is probably the best first catch a fly fisherman can ask for. There is something about the experience of sharing the fishes home, wading knee deep, and feeling the fish tug on your fly while you hold the line with your bare fingers. That experience just cannot be emulated by any gear fishing technique I am aware of, and if it can I would just ask that you share it with me. I love hooking into a fish on gear, but it just is not and never will be the same. Something about fly fishing makes even the smallest fish fun. Fish I would not even notice at the end of my line on a gear rod I am able to feel every pull and tug with a fly rod when I strip it in, and I haven't even hooked a big fish yet!

Fly casting started as a source of frustration for me but now it is part of the joy. I find it incredibly meditative because in order to keep making good casts, I have to stay constantly focus. I can't afford to think about sources of stress, negativity, or other distractions because then I mess up my timing and the cast falls apart. Believe it or not, fly casting helps me in my everyday life. I really enjoy socializing and talking to people, but I am quite poor at managing conversation. Equating conversation to fly casting has noticeably improved how I go about managing social anxiety. If I feel myself becoming anxious, I think about waiting for the loop on my backcast to form and begin to unfurl, and relax because well, if I want to cast I have to. If I need to get a word in and don't know when, I imagine pauses in conversation as the point right after my rod tip stops at 1 o clock, and I let go of my line. I certainly find it more pleasurable than chucking lead all day.

That and I clearly suffer from some form of insanity considering the amount of gas I have burned and time I have spent, but I think that is most of us. I am really interested to hear your stories and why you all fly fish.
It’s a meditative.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Meditative? I must be doing something wrong because I tend to talk shit to @jasmillo while simultaneously throwing long casts out there :) I kid.

I like fishing and fly fishing is an immersive experience. You're immersed in the watery world of your quarry, both your hands are focused on the rod and line, it's a very tactile thing, you feel everything down to how your fly swims in the water. To feel the tug, to feel the slack when your fish escapes, the ups and downs, the highs and lows can make you drunk. Fish drunk :)

Divad

Whitefish
I like what everyone else has said plus the cherry on-top in a reduction of accidental trash. As a long time gear fisherman, when fly fishing I don’t break off long portions of braid, lose bobbers and jigs all over or come to a waterway with an obscene amount of packaging.

By design a tapered leader, blood knot taper or short strand of tippet leave little in the water if I do break.

Another cherry, hunting (literally and non) materials for fly tying and using them to create artworks is so very appealing.

Zak

Legend
Way before I every picked up a fly rod, I "flylined" unweighted grasshoppers and wrigly worms on tiny gold hooks with my spinning rod. My fishing now is just an evolution of that.

Unlike many, I did not know anyone who fished when I was a kid. I was drawn to it and taught myself. I did not even pick up a fly rod until I was about 25-26 years old, catering and bartending in Santa Fe and one of my coworkers who moonlighted as a FF guide got me out on the river and taught me to cast.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
I grew up on Camano Island and have fished all of my life. I didn't start fly fishing until my mid twenties. I had no idea about anything regarding fly fishing. I saw someone fly fishing on tv and I was intrigued and knew that I had to give it a try. I made my way to a local fly shop and bought a rod and reel combo, a few leaders, some tippet, nippers, a fly box and a few flies. I went out and fished a local river/creek and was able to catch a few fish. I was hooked and have been obsessed with fly fishing ever since. There's nothing like catching a fish on a fly rod. That connection between you and the fish is unreal. I'm so glad that I made the decision to try fly fishing. There's nothing in this world that makes me feel the way that fly fishing does. Thank you so much to all of the members on this site and the other for all of your contributions that have taught me so much!

Zak

Legend
“No life, my honest Scholar, no life so happy and so pleasant as the life of a well governed Angler; for when the lawyer is swallowed up with business, and the statesman is preventing or contriving plots, then we sit on cowslip banks, hear the birds sing, and possess ourselves in as much quietness as these silent silver streams, which we now see glide so quietly by us.”

--Izaak Walton, 1653

Zak

Legend
Walton shares with his readers the words of Sir Henry Wotton, a Provost of Eton College in the early 1600’s, who was:

…a most dear lover, and frequent practiser [sic], of the art of Angling; of which he would say, ‘’T was an employment for his idle time, which was not then idly spent:’ for Angling was, after tedious study, ‘a time to rest his mind, a cheerer of his spirits, a diverter of sadness, a calmer of unquiet thoughts, a moderator of passions, a procurer of contentedness;’ and ‘that it begat habits of peace and patience in those that professed and practiced it.’

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Meditative? I must be doing something wrong because I tend to talk shit to @jasmillo while simultaneously throwing long casts out there :) I kid.

I like fishing and fly fishing is an immersive experience. You're immersed in the watery world of your quarry, both your hands are focused on the rod and line, it's a very tactile thing, you feel everything down to how your fly swims in the water. To feel the tug, to feel the slack when your fish escapes, the ups and downs, the highs and lows can make you drunk. Fish drunk :)

Fighting words. That’s it, chum wager this weekend!

I fly fish because I love to fish and I find the act of catching fish with a fly rod more enjoyable than gear fishing. If fly rods didn’t exist though, I’d fish just as much and love it all the same. Why I love fishing so much, I could not tell you. It’s stupid how much I love it but I’m not going to fight it. It makes me happy.

I do appreciate the places I’ve been and experiences I have due to my love of fishing. It’s brought me places I would not have gone and have experiences I would not have had otherwise. I’m not talking about destination places our otherworldly experiences. Just walking the shoreline during coho season in the dark to get to a spot and watching bioluminescent blossom under my footsteps. Dozens of sunrises over the cascades. Storms rolling in over the Saphire mountains in MT when I was in college while fishing all by myself in the snow pre-run off with no other souls around. Coming across moose and bears and fawns hidden in the grass and even (just once) a MT lion with a fresh kill. All things 98% of the 7 billion other people in this world miss out on living in cities or rarely leaving the suburbs or their homes. To a degree it kind of makes you feel special and off the hamster wheel having these experiences few others have.

It’s fishing though, not fly fishing in my case. I just happen to prefer a fly rod as the tool I use. The act of catching with a fly rod is more enjoyable to me.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ok, I'll play.

I taught myself in 5th grade. Not sure why. I had fished with bait and lures by then so really no clue why fly fishing. Maybe I saw someone do it?

We had just moved to a new town where I didn't know a soul and was really upset about it. Luckily, there was a decent creek within walking distance of our crappy apartment. And in that little town, in those days, my parents let me go to the river alone.
I never looked back. When I tell people I'm going fishing, they know I mean fly fishing.

I think I do it because I love learning. I've been lucky to have a career where I'm always having to learn new things. I think fly fishing is the perfect hobby for those that love to learn. There's always something new to learn! And...there's still that feeling of escape like I had back when I was a 5th grader.