NFR Why do people in the country back in to park, and in the city they pull in?

Non-fishing related

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Have you ever noticed that in the country, people usually back in to their parking spots? But in the city, most people pull in. Why is that, do you think?

Are you a puller-inner, or a backer-inner, and do you live in the city, country, or burbs?

1667245180222.jpeg
^With that stuck-up city mouse driving, you can bet she'll be cutting people off to pull into a spot!

It can't be because country folks are a bunch of suspicious ne'er-do-wells always looking to make a quick getaway, right? I mean, salt-of-the-earth and all that. :) Maybe you're like me and do a mix of both. I live in the city. Sometimes you just gotta get in that spot now, and deal with everything else later. But I aspire to a more relaxed, country state of mind. I try to take my time, take care of my future self, and ease her back on in when I can. If you ever park at a place like the Lumen Field garage, I recommend backing in. Makes it a lot easier to get into that line of cars trying to get out, 90% of whom will ride 2 inches off the guy in front of them's bumper so you CANNOT pull out damn you, without running over pedestrians.

edit: in another thread we can discuss why people in North Snohomish County and Skagit County don't ever turn on their headlights on dark dark rainy days.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I grew up on the farm, but lived most my adult life in the city/suburbs. I back in when practical. I like being able to pull out without having to worry about pulling out in front of someone. That's mostly with my little commuter car, though. My F250 doesn't have a backup camera and my visibility out the back isn't great. So backing it in to spots is often a bit stressful. When pulling back out, though, folks tend to make way for me since I'm the bigger vehicle (unlike when I'm in my Chevy Bolt).

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
In driver safety class they teach backing in is safer because you have a narrow field of vision backing, and want a broad view when pulling out. I always found it easier to back in my buick estate wagon and pickup trucks than to back out.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
if you've grown up backing up hay trucks with blind on both sides plus rear, you appreciate backing in first and then pulling forward to leave.

Sure, you can pull in a barn nose first but you'd have a hell of a time stacking. City? Pulling out into traffic with your nose and not your ass is the way to go.

Last edited:

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'll either grab a pull through type spot or back in. Key part for me is always parking in the back of the lot away from the action. Cracks me up when folks go to the gym or have a bike on their car but then spend 5 minutes circling a parking lot so they don't have to walk 50 yards...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I back in when it's necessary. More often when I'm driving the truck I guess. But honestly, it's not a huge hassle. Depends on if you want to take more time pulling in or leaving.

What I hate is people who insist on backing in, but can't figure out how to do it without a dozen back/forth moves. Actually, come to think of it, I hate that when people can't back out of a spot without doing that either. I guess I just hate crappy drivers.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I back in when it's necessary. More often when I'm driving the truck I guess. But honestly, it's not a huge hassle. Depends on if you want to take more time pulling in or leaving.

What I hate is people who insist on backing in, but can't figure out how to do it without a dozen back/forth moves. Actually, come to think of it, I hate that when people can't back out of a spot without doing that either. I guess I just hate crappy drivers.
You should pull up a lawn chair and some of your favorite beverages for an afternoon of watching any popular boat launch on any popular recreational lake during the summer.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
You should pull up a lawn chair and some of your favorite beverages for an afternoon of watching any popular boat launch on any popular recreational lake during the summer.
I kid you not. I watched a ton of those boatlaunchfail guys on youtube and a ton of "how to launch a boat by yourself" videos because I really didn't want to be "that guy" at the launch after I bought my little boat this summer. I even made sure the first few times I took the boat out I went to lakes that didn't get much activity so I wouldn't be in anyone's way if I screwed up.

So far so good after a summer of it.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I kid you not. I watched a ton of those boatlaunchfail guys on youtube and a ton of "how to launch a boat by yourself" videos because I really didn't want to be "that guy" at the launch after I bought my little boat this summer. I even made sure the first few times I took the boat out I went to lakes that didn't get much activity so I wouldn't be in anyone's way if I screwed up.

So far so good and after a summer of it.
Honestly, don’t worry about it. I have never been the worst or the best at the boat launch but I am fine. It is is a challenge to be the worst at backing a trailer at a busy boat launch. Usually there is someone who absolutely has no clue what they are doing, like doesn’t understand the physics and mechanical side of it.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Honestly, don’t worry about it. I have never been the worst or the best at the boat launch but I am fine. It is is a challenge to be the worst at backing a trailer at a busy boat launch. Usually there is someone who absolutely has no clue what they are doing, like doesn’t understand the physics and mechanical side of it.
I don't need to be the best, I just didn't want to be the worst.

I'm comfortably in the middle at this point. At least for my small boat.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Depends how fast a getaway I need.

I pull in and go through to the opposing spot, so looks like I backed in; or if that's not an option, back in; however, if I'll need access to the back, I'll just pull in; for short answer, it depends.

cheers

kerrys

Ignored Member
I back in. I also pull through a parking spot so I‘m facing out when there are two rows of parking facing each other.

I can back my boat trailer, loaded or unloaded, down any launch using only my mirrors. If you need to see people that can’t backup go to any river launch during humpy season.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I haven't noticed, and I'd be surprised to learn that a city/country correlation exists. I'm pretty sure I pull in more often than I back in, but I do really like the idea of being able to pull out instead of back out of busy parking lots.

cedarslug

Steelhead
I pull into a spot head first. When I back out, I simply lay on the horn until I'm out of the spot.

My biggest gripe are the people that are head first in a parking spot, and then cross over head first into the opposing spot to leave. I've seen at least two accidents occurring that way, both involving drivers who are attempting to back into a parking spot.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
The city part is also that you need to go past the spot, then back in. And if some butthead is on your tail, you have to get them to back up. I'm assuming this is less of a problem in wide open country parking lots