Who has an Outcast Fish Cat Pro and what do you use it for?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I don't understand what the Outcast Fish Cat Pro is for. It just looks like a bigger float tube with oars. Do people use them on rivers? Can you run real rivers with them? Or are they more for lazy floats? Or do people use them on lakes? Do the oars really make it any easier/faster to get around? I never liked rowing a pontoon on a lake, I always felt like I was spinning around and not tracking straight. Maybe having your feet/fins in the water helps?

Is this a useful tool on it's own? Or is it just an "el camino" weird halfway measure between a float tube and a raft/pontoon?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I had one I sold to a friend. Honestly, I love this boat, and kinda wish I had kept it vs getting a 2nd Commander. It rows rivers surprisingly well, but not as good as a Commander. It IS better at stillwater than a Commander, though. Much easier to use fins and have that wide open front for landing fish or anything else.

I'm one who greatly prefers having the oars option on stillwater, especially when wind becomes a factor. I store them folded up along the sides with the handle pointed forward and the paddle pointed back, which keeps them from having an open end that catches your line.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I look at those float tubes and just shake my head. I wouldn't take a float tube down a piece of Skinny water to save my ass. Your feet hang down to far and you could get tangled in under water junk. At least on a pontoon boat you have a place to keep your feet out of the way.

I think they stick those oars on to lure you into buying one of those tubes. Might work if you have been in it all day and your legs hurt.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I look at those float tubes and just shake my head. I wouldn't take a float tube down a piece of Skinny water to save my ass. Your feet hang down to far and you could get tangled in under water junk. At least on a pontoon boat you have a place to keep your feet out of the way.

I think they stick those oars on to lure you into buying one of those tubes. Might work if you have been in it all day and your legs hurt.
Or you could comment on things you actually know about :p this boat has a place to put your feet just like a pontoon. Kinda hard to row oars without a foot anchor.
1656698585006.png

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Is the seat more or less comfortable/supportive than something like a Fish Cat 4 tube?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Is the seat more or less comfortable/supportive than something like a Fish Cat 4 tube?
I THINK it sits up a little higher, but can't say for sure. It is an inflatable seat very similar to the one on the commander.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I have this boat. Well, the sportsman’s warehouse version that is the same exact boat, but with a different skin. Even comes with Fish Cat Scout paperwork.

I have only used it on lakes and love it. I would have no reservations taking it down some rivers. Nothing too crazy though. Like @Evan B , I really appreciate the option of the oars and use them often, especially when launching and coming in. I find that it rows/ tracks pretty well. That said, the oars are easy to add/remove as needed. I also find it maneuvers really well with flippers though honestly, I’ve never owned a traditional float tube so not sure how it compares. It’s also fairly big and sturdy. I’m almost 6”1’ and about 230 lbs at the moment and it floats me, gear, and even a trolling motor, battery, etc. quite well. Another great thing about it - although it does not come with a motor mount, you can easily build one. I did based off pics another member posted here. Finally, although larger than a traditional float tube, it’s fairly light and very easy to move around. It fits fully inflated in the back of by Tundra short bed as well.

I have been very happy overall. I think the design of fantastic. To the point I’m considering buying another to keep on the shelf if Sportsman’s still has them. They sell for 40%-50% off the Fish Cat branded ones

7673890A-2F68-40CF-8373-8EB5B60B9DBE.jpeg

For idea of size with me in it.

64E552D0-F901-4C8F-AC13-B5F7A413DE8D.jpeg

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Just a note for potential buyers, the inflatable seat is the way to go.Those rigid foam seats obviously don't compress for travel and are no different to sit on than an oak board in terms of comfort.

dep

Steelhead
I have this boat. Well, the sportsman’s warehouse version that is the same exact boat, but with a different skin. Even comes with Fish Cat Scout paperwork.

I have only used it on lakes and love it. I would have no reservations taking it down some rivers. Nothing too crazy though. Like @Evan B , I really appreciate the option of the oars and use them often, especially when launching and coming in. I find that it rows/ tracks pretty well. That said, the oars are easy to add/remove as needed. I also find it maneuvers really well with flippers though honestly, I’ve never owned a traditional float tube so not sure how it compares. It’s also fairly big and sturdy. I’m almost 6”1’ and about 230 lbs at the moment and it floats me, gear, and even a trolling motor, battery, etc. quite well. Another great thing about it - although it does not come with a motor mount, you can easily build one. I did based off pics another member posted here. Finally, although larger than a traditional float tube, it’s fairly light and very easy to move around. It fits fully inflated in the back of by Tundra short bed as well.

I have been very happy overall. I think the design of fantastic. To the point I’m considering buying another to keep on the shelf if Sportsman’s still has them. They sell for 40%-50% off the Fish Cat branded ones

View attachment 20719

View attachment 20720
my lord! what kind of water are you fishing in the top photo?

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Or you could comment on things you actually know about :p this boat has a place to put your feet just like a pontoon. Kinda hard to row oars without a foot anchor.
View attachment 20709
I went to the Outcast site. All that is listed under name mentioned "Outcast Fish Cat" Pro was the short tubes. Some of them have oars. I had ordered the one like this but had to return it because it weighted in at 45 pounds empty. I couldn't pack it around if I tried Listed as a Lost Creek X made for Outcast. Also made in Vietnam.

mickey rat

Vermin

View attachment 20719

View attachment 20720
I got the same pontoon and in the process of adding motor mounts and PWM as I already had a motor for my auxiliary dingy. I'm with you Jason. Wish I bought two at the $335 price. I have it inflated on a hoist in the garage and can lower it onto the tonneau cover of the Tacoma and be on my way. Being able to get your feet out of the water and on the crossbar while rowing is way faster than kicking a tube.

Last edited:
i have a commander and use it for everything. for what its worth i think its an awesome boat. if i was only doing stillwater i would pick the fish scout pro.

i can speak to the quality. light and durable. good for class II rivers.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
For anyone interested, Steve Mooney just did a test/report on the Fish Cat Cruzer over in the Lake section. Looks like it catches fish!

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The Outcast frameless Fish Cat Scout, Stealth Pro and Commanders are quite versatile boats. To date I've only used mine for stillwater fishing but wouldn't hesitate to try it on a Class 1 or 2 river. The limiting factor with the rivers will be my skill, not the boat!

As a 65 year old with a weaker back and arthritic hip, the biggest selling feature of these frameless boats is the 35 lb weight. Without a frame they are easy to transport and quick to setup when you have to deflate them to travel. In previous years I also transported my boat on the tonneau cover of my Honda Ridgeline. I downsized to a Honda CR-V this spring and Scout has allowed to adapt fairly easily. My recent trip to Manitoba involved an 11 drive so I deflated the boat and stowed it in back for the road trip. Once at the fishing area, I inflated the boat and transported it on roof racks for the 1 hr trips between lakes. I certainly got better mileage with the boat rolled up in the back!

I was initially concerned about my back and getting the Scout up on the roof racks, but with the 35 lb weight, it turned out to be easy. I walked up to the side of the CR-V carrying the boat by the handles as I would to launch it. I simply raised the nose up onto the rack and then reached behind to the foot bar and lifted the back of the boat over my head onto the roof rack. According to the Outcast support desk, the foot bar can also be used to hang the inflated boat on a wall and that's how I am currently stowing mine in a storage shed.

The boats also have a very low draft of approx 2 inches which makes them very maneuverable with kick fins or the pinned oars. I also made a simple strap-on motor mount and use a 30 lb Minn Kota with PWM on larger lakes.

I find the simple seat is surprisingly comfortable once you tighten the upper straps to form the seat back around you middle back. The last three days I fished, I spent 6 to 8 hours a day on the water with no back issues.

Ken

20220623.jpg5m 20220628.jpg20b 20201014.jpg201706 3.JPG

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
This is what got me wondering about them. But sadly, they seem to be hard to find currently. Looked like a heck of a deal though.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have the slightly larger Stealth Pro (in neon because nothing says stealth like neon) and I use it on the Yakima, still water, and on the John Day.

Until recently I also took my 6yo with me in the bow. We could both fish from it simultaneously in the above-named places. I’m 6’7 and closer to 300# than I ought to be. He’s 60lb, and the boat floated us and our gear with no problems.

May end up selling it, though. I've got a different watercraft for us on its way. If I had a bigger garage I’d keep it. I like it more than a standard pontoon because it is lower and less at the mercy of the wind.

Last edited:

Chris Bailey

Dirt Sniffer
Forum Supporter
I don't understand what the Outcast Fish Cat Pro is for. It just looks like a bigger float tube with oars. Do people use them on rivers? Can you run real rivers with them? Or are they more for lazy floats? Or do people use them on lakes? Do the oars really make it any easier/faster to get around? I never liked rowing a pontoon on a lake, I always felt like I was spinning around and not tracking straight. Maybe having your feet/fins in the water helps?

Is this a useful tool on it's own? Or is it just an "el camino" weird halfway measure between a float tube and a raft/pontoon?
When I first read this I didn't check the link and just assumed you were talking about this: https://www.outcastboats.com/product/fish-cat-cruzer/ , which is basically just a Fish Cat 4 with oars and the "rowing while dragging your feet" issue OMJ brought up. These I don't really get but I'm sure they work for some folks. The Scout (your link, once I actually clicked it) and Stealth Pro models are 7 and 8 feet long and remind me a bit of the original Scadden frameless outlaw(?) models. While Scadden's capability claims were pretty laughable, I think a lot of people did take them on calmer rivers and they had a decent following. The new Outcast models seem quite a bit burlier than those original Scadden models.

I was actually going to ask a similar, but maybe the opposite, question about a couple older Outcast boats I picked up recently. They look like they could be older Commander models, but these actually don't have oarlocks and are shorter with more rocker than the newer Commanders. Outcast fishing kayak? They are about 8.5'x3.5'. Cool little boats, but they have the foam seat bottom and back which kills the portability. Anybody replace their foam with inflatable inserts? I was thinking of trying something like this seat from the DIY Packraft guy: https://www.diypackraft.com/construction/how-to/make-an-inflatable-packraft-seat-kit-instructions/

IMG_2811.jpeg

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Cool little boats, but they have the foam seat bottom and back which kills the portability. Anybody replace their foam with inflatable inserts?
I'd contact Outcast customer service and ask if any of their current model inflatable seat & back cushions might work e.g. from Fish Cat Deluxe, Super Fat Cat, OSG Prowler.

It is possible to get glue-on oar patches for pinned oars similar to the Commander, Scout, Stealth Pro. Outcast customer service should be able to provide advice on adding those as well, give you a recommendation on adhesive and maybe give you a source.

Divad

Whitefish
I was right after @jasmillo purchase and thread that motivated a buyout.

I keep mine in my truck through the work week with a little old mtn bike. I can run rivers after work, just did the nooch on mine and have done the cowlitz at 8000cfs.

Or hit a lake. No issue and if anything made the summer water on smaller rivers easy as I watch folks drag. Highly recommend.

It’s easy to hide it in the bushes on solo shuttles. Also sometimes I’ll stop the boat and stand inside the tube on the river bottom to quickly hit a seam.C8DD4C00-99F7-4786-B07F-23279DEEB2BB.jpeg

Last edited: