Whetstones, knife sharpening tools.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
They work pretty much the same. The Work Sharp are fantastic. I know I wasn't warned when they went through and sharpened all my knives. CeeDub, who I was working with, had them do mine while I went out on break. I cradle my knives a certain way and they put a razor sharp blade on my paring knife. First time I grabbed it, knowing how I had it sharpened before they resharpened it, the blade sunk deep into my thumb like a hot blade through butter. Had cut cleaned and glued and tossed a glove on. Went straight to their booth and told them I wanted one. They told me to hit them up at last show and they'd sell me the demo cheap. I really miss that sharpener.

If I recall the Ken Onion version was adjustable, in relation to the angle of the edge. That intrigued me but for the price the standard model worked so well with my fillet knives that I just never felt the need to upgrade.

I worked for one particular captain for a couple of seasons and on more than one occasion he grabbed one of my knives to cut a fish. I could cut circles around him with every fish except Halibut. He grew up in Cordova, AK, and had guided and commercial fished halibut for a good many years so he had a ton of experience. Down here we just don't get enough Halibut days for even a deckhand to get that sort of repetition, so when it came to Halibut he was was lightning fast. There were a few days he grabbed one of my knives and dove into some halibut and scared the hell out of himself not expecting such a sharp blade. He never cut himself but there were some close calls.

I love the feeling of the cutting into that first fish with a knive that is fresh off the sharpener. So satisfying!

cdnred

Life of the Party
For my kitchen knives I use a mix of a steel and a Chef's sharpener, which is basically a whetstone that's embedded into a harness. It's a 2 part harness. Initial shaping of blade then final sharpening.

I had a Ken Onion system. It puts a razors edge, literally, on a blade. I need to buy a new one. My old one died.
I looked at the website for the Ken Orion Sharper and they appear that they do a good job at sharpening. It mentions about different belts (1/2" x 12") which I assume would onl;y be available thru them. You never had any issues with using this sharpener. I've bought sharpeners in the past only getting disappointed in the end. This one is not that difficult to use for a first timer..?

You mentioned that you used a Chef's sharpener. How's the comparison between the two..?

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I looked at the website for the Ken Orion Sharper and they appear that they do a good job at sharpening. It mentions about different belts (1/2" x 12") which I assume would onl;y be available thru them. You never had any issues with using this sharpener. I've bought sharpeners in the past only getting disappointed in the end. This one is not that difficult to use for a first timer..?

You mentioned that you used a Chef's sharpener. How's the comparison between the two..?
The Chef's sharpener works pretty well. That Ken Onion makes your knives a razor blade. I didn't have a problem using it. But has been a few years since I've had one.

Replicant

Steelhead
I use a bunch of different stuff, from DMT blocks, to stones, and various ceramic rods. If I need to bring an edge back from the dead, I use a Gatco, clamp thingamabob (would prefer the Spyderco), but a few years ago, I made up a strop with a block of walnut and leather on each side with different compounds. Love that thing. When I'm camping or hunting, I take an old Gerber sharpening steel (popular in the 70s).

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I use one of these, a small handheld set from smiths.. https://smithsproducts.com/50595
It's fantastic for pocket and hunting knives, and the stone for serrated blades work. I find to put a good edge on a kitchen or fillet knife it takes 3 resets of the guide mechanism, so although it works, it's a pain.
Interesting. I have a worn-out Lansky system that looks pretty much identical to the Smiths.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Interesting. I have a worn-out Lansky system that looks pretty much identical to the Smiths.
On a kitchen knife of 8-10" I find that if I try to do too much from one position I end up with an inconsistent edge. Don't have to find the sweet spot to get that first yummy tomato slice if I work smaller sections.

CRO

Steelhead
I learned to use wet stones before I could spell it. Nice India and hard Arkansas stones that I use. Most touch up today is done with a fine diamond lapper I used as a machinist. Works on ceramics, high carbon blades and stainless.

SSPey

loco alto!
The Ken Onion worksharp is great. Knives, scissors, axes/hatchets. Got mine on a Black Friday deal. I used to neglect all my blades until I got this. My usual fillet knife touchup involves 2-3 passes each with med-coarse then fine grit. Razor sharp.

johan851

Freshly Spawned
How do folks sharpen your kitchen knives? I know there was some discussion on this on the, uh, previous forum. I think a whetstone system (1000/6000) should cover my needs. Systems to avoid? Affordable and functional whetstones?
I spent some time fiddling with high quality Japanese waterstones, and eventually fell back on using the Sharpmaker. I use it for both my Spyderco knives and kitchen knives, and I like it because it's just too easy. Less worrying about the angles, much less fiddling to set up, harder to make mistakes. All things that contribute to me actually using it, while the waterstones just sat in a box. Knives are kept much sharper as a result.

Medium + fine stones are great, and recently I've been enjoying the ultra fine stones, especially on softer steels.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I recently bought the Worksharp Ken Onion sharpening tool based on recommendations from folks here. It works great and I like it!

There's some nice reasonably priced used knives on eBay. This came to me today and I'll sharpen it tomorrow:
View attachment 99157
View attachment 99156
Nice knife, I like that blade shape. I have two that were great grandmas. I just use a Smith's stone set on the rare occasion they need help.
20240113_162435.jpg

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
If I recall the Ken Onion version was adjustable, in relation to the angle of the edge. That intrigued me but for the price the standard model worked so well with my fillet knives that I just never felt the need to upgrade.

I worked for one particular captain for a couple of seasons and on more than one occasion he grabbed one of my knives to cut a fish. I could cut circles around him with every fish except Halibut. He grew up in Cordova, AK, and had guided and commercial fished halibut for a good many years so he had a ton of experience. Down here we just don't get enough Halibut days for even a deckhand to get that sort of repetition, so when it came to Halibut he was was lightning fast. There were a few days he grabbed one of my knives and dove into some halibut and scared the hell out of himself not expecting such a sharp blade. He never cut himself but there were some close calls.

I love the feeling of the cutting into that first fish with a knive that is fresh off the sharpener. So satisfying!
Does the Standard come with a 20 degree guide only?…while I have a few 20 degree german kitchen knives, the majority of my knives are 15 degree Globals…