Where to buy 3-Piece Rod Tube

Cliff

Steelhead
A long shot, but I'm looking for a rod tube that will fit a 3-piece W&M Granger 8040.
Thanks,
Cliff

Divad

Whitefish
If you don’t find one you can call your local metal supplier and buy a piece of aluminum tubing from bulk or get lucky if they have remnant/scrap pieces ($30-40). Then epoxy in a pvc threaded end and cap, voila.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Even cheaper if you don't mind a cordura tube and can wait a couple weeks for delivery, $27

Choose "green cordura tube for 10ft" in the dropdown

Reactions: Zak

EB590

Steelhead
Does REC still sell rod tubes? I used to buy from landmark or something like that when I built rods but I think they are long gone.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Even cheaper if you don't mind a cordura tube and can wait a couple weeks for delivery, $27

Choose "green cordura tube for 10ft" in the dropdown

Thanks! I just bought a 19.26" reel-on tube that should work for a small stream rod I bought from @Wetswinger !

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You might consider Ron’s fly rod tubes on IG he is a great guys and he has various lengths and colors. I had him make custom colored and lengths for my bamboo Spey rods and they are awesome.
Thanks for sharing this tube seller! I had never heard of them before and their products look great. Ron

Cliff

Steelhead
Guys, thank you! I like those rods from Ron's. I'll check out all of them, though. I appreciate your help!
Cliff

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Check out Mountain Cork. I've purchased a tube from them before and have been happy with it. Take a look at their website. Their prices are reasonable.

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Check out Mountain Cork. I've purchased a tube from them before and have been happy with it. Take a look at their website. Their prices are reasonable.

I have a couple "reel-on" cases from Mountain Cork and they are nice.

I also have couple of the BW Sports cases and I like the dual pockets (good for extra spools):

cdnred

Life of the Party
If you're not fussy on aesthetics, buy a length of PVC pipe to suit in either 1 1/2" or 2" Sch 40 with 2 end caps. Glue one end cap in place and leave the other end loose. Caps fit snuggly so they won't fall off under most conditions. Makes for a solid, cheap rod tube..

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I would like to throw out another prop for Ron, with bamboo rods finding the right length tube is a big deal for me. And he has a large range of both lengths and diameter. I searched and found it hard to get what I wanted and he is very easy to work with and made sure I got what I needed.

Cliff

Steelhead
Guys, thanks again for the help. The deal is, I bought a W&M Granger trade rod called an "Old Faithful Challenger" rod, in the 8ft 5wt size, which is the exact same taper as the Granger 8040. Since the rod was a less expensive trade rod it came with a cardboard tube instead of an aluminum tube. The lower section of this cardboard tube is bent and compromised, although the rod is in exquisite shape. I'm finding it difficult to find a tube for a 3-piece rod. One of my rodbuilder friends (R. Kope) may have one laying around and he's going to check once he returns from vacation. If he doesn't I'll likely get one of the Ron's rod tubes as mentioned above, to use permanently. Zak & CDNRed, thank you for your suggestions. I do have an inexpensive rod that came in a PVC tube and I still use it for that rod. I really value the help from all you bamboo guys.

Last edited:

Cliff

Steelhead
Congrats on finding a bargain 8040. A wonderful fishing taper.
Thanks Ron. I'll post a photo when I get a chance. I can't wait to try it out. I also snagged a really nice used silk line for your Edwards rod (which I've had for almost two years and haven't yet fished). I'll post that, also.