Where to bank fish on the Yakima?

tumblefly

Smolt
Going for the first time to the Yakima. Any of you folks have suggestions of good areas / sections of the river to bank fish?
I do have a lot of river fishing experience, just not there.
Thanks,
Mike

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I used to fish it below the Easton Ponds. Park by the ponds and there are trails down to the river all over the place. But I don't think you can fish the ponds. There is a salmon hatchery there and they use the pond as for the Salmon to grow a little before they release them into the river. Don't know if they still do that as I haven't been there in over 17 years.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
There's an absolutely killer spot right..... there! No - a bit more to the south. Yes... right there. Please don't share this info with anyone!

In all seriousness, the canyon has the most extensive and easily accessed banks. Just go out and try some place that looks good. You'll learn a lot more from field-testing your assumptions about what is and isn't fishy - especially since this often changes over time of day and season; high water and low. The pullouts along the roadway will give you some clues about what others consider good access spots.

longputt

Steelhead
I am not trying to discourage you, but be aware that the snakes are probably out on warmer days. When you climb in out of the water just watch where you put your hands and feet. Again not trying to discourage you just be aware. I hate snakes and shore fish the Yakima it's not too bad...

Not like a certain lake in E WA!

tumblefly

Smolt
There's an absolutely killer spot right..... there! No - a bit more to the south. Yes... right there. Please don't share this info with anyone!

In all seriousness, the canyon has the most extensive and easily accessed banks. Just go out and try some place that looks good. You'll learn a lot more from field-testing your assumptions about what is and isn't fishy - especially since this often changes over time of day and season; high water and low. The pullouts along the roadway will give you some clues about what others consider good access spots.
Good advice. That all sounds like the way to go.

tumblefly

Smolt
Grass, rocks and sometimes logs provide the best places to stand while fly fishing the Yakima river from the banks in my experience.
Thank you.
I am not trying to discourage you, but be aware that the snakes are probably out on warmer days. When you climb in out of the water just watch where you put your hands and feet. Again not trying to discourage you just be aware. I hate snakes and shore fish the Yakima it's not too bad...

Not like a certain lake in E WA!
I fish the "D" in Oregon and have the snake concept down. Thank you.

tumblefly

Smolt
When I was figuring out the Yakima, I would record the flow levels at the Umtanum gauging station each time I went. This becomes a great predictor for where you can access the river safely and effectively and save some drives over the pass when the river isn't in condition.
That's good advice. Heading over there today. Thank you.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I really like areas with rip rap.
Quite a few areas with it along the river.
I’ve caught some nice fish off of them without getting my feet wet.
Look for the soft pockets of water that form behind the rocks.
Have fun.
SF

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
One sure honey hole beacon is a boat ramp and crapper. You’ll know you’re in a prime spot when a drift boat anchors in front of you.

flybill

Life of the Party
Join me and a few friends on Saturday at Reds.. 10am .. I'll show or tell you where to go..PM me!