When Will They Open the Stilly

Smalma

Life of the Party
Not really much of a prediction! The State has always liked opening seasons on the first of 16th of month (easier to model impacts in 1/2-month increments) typically making exception in high value fisheries. Clearly the Stillaguamish is not a high value fishery.

I had hoped that we might have seen the North Fork opening on October 16th and certainly by Nov. first. The summer Chinook of the North Fork have typically completed their spawning by mid-October. Instead, they seem to have made Stillaguamish decision on basin condition rather than the details of individual parts. This approach was much different than the agency approach on the Snohomish where individual parts were opened as soon as the Chinook had largely completed their spawning. The difference between the Snohomish and Stillaguamish is even more confounding with their decision on the Snoqualmie and its November first opening for coho even though its Chinook typically spawning through November and some years into December, to my knowledge the latest spawning Chinook in the Puget Sound Basin.

Maybe the differences in the decisions on the North Fork Stillaguamish and the Snohomish is the difference between providing game fish opportunities and salmon opportunities (and incidental game fish seasons). This is especially unfortunate this year as low flows in late October and even on the first of November were such that very productive sea-run fishing could have been expected, something that might occur once every 20 years or so.

Curt

Smalma

Life of the Party
Would Sea Run Cutthroat fishing in the lower stilly be an option up until they head back out to the salt?
Yes, cutthroat fishing is an option, and you might even catch one or two. My experience on north Puget Sound rivers and their cutthroat is a low water game for the best success. We rarely see those flows low enough during the winter period but when we do reasonable catches (even on dries) are possible.

Curt

CRO

Steelhead
It is interesting how WDFW removed the notice from the emergency rules page to the advanced rules page.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
The State has always liked opening seasons on the first of 16th of month (easier to model impacts in 1/2-month increments) typically making exception in high value fisheries.
Then, on the second 16th of the month, they reevaluate their guiding policies and philosophies.

Smalma

Life of the Party
With the recent spill of dry weather and night freezing temperatures the Stillaguamish system flows dropped to atypical low levels I took the opportunity to see if a fish could be found. Cutthroat and a bonus bull were found, unfortunately with the weather change the flows are back on the way up.

Curt