When is a 5 wt line not a 5 wt?

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
When it is actually a 3 wt….I was looking to buy some cheap lines to cut to see what would make a really nice heavy head for pulling my mids out of the depth with no issue. Some bobber folks in Canada buy cheap lines and then trim back towards the taper to achieve this, others buy nymph lines that are typically short headed for the same purpose but at a much higher price.

Naturally I went low and bought a Riverrun’s Anglers WF5 off Amazon for $12…an 85 ‘ line but not too fussed as with mid fishing I’d never bang out casts that far and maybe my backing would show more often 😉 Anyway, got the line, spooled it and went off to Green Lake with Treefrog to test it, seemed a little light but cast OK with my 10’6” 3 wt (also Chinese, called a 3 wt but defo a 4wt @ $99, I’m cheap). It could get to about 70' with no effort which was fine for me.

As it was only $12, I then bought a 7 wt from the same folks and that was when the fun started, it seemed pretty scrawny at the head end, so we measured the first 30’ of the head for each line and checked out the grain weight, the 5 wt’ was 105 g which equates to a 'heavy' 3wt and the 7 wt was 128g which is close but not at the low end of a 5 wt…

So these lines being made abroad are iffy in that they do not reflect what they are. That said for $12 I was not expecting too much and indeed I fished both lines at Lone last week and they did fine casting wise and handling fish 😊 The finish too is quite good and no lumps bumps in that regards. I am a sucker for punishment, or Treefrog would maybe say a fool but I’m eyeing the 8 wt as my perfect line for doctoring...

If you are tired of $99+ lines and want a very cheap lite 5 wt then you know where to look :cool:

Dave