What's in your vise?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'll go ahead and answer that. You have to put a keel weight closer to the eye to get any appreciable dive at the end of the strip.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I think the two of you might just have created a soon to be legendary fly rod jerk bait .
sadly, it's already been done, so I can't claim anything. This is more tweaking things to suit my needs (at least for me). Always good to bounce ideas around though.

Dave Boyle

Life of the Party
Just got a load of buzzzer wrap from a Canadian shop. This is gunmetal, basically ASB but already cut and thin so ready to wrap.

It does crack me up where I have a load of different ties that all essentially look the same despite slightly different materials m.

Are we (or I) overthinking things? Wish I had a camera other than my phone.

Dave7C7E93D0-B6D9-48E5-9193-AA1CB5C7BA44.jpegDC12EF9C-AC0C-41B7-80DA-80DCD16F09C5.jpeg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Just got a load of buzzzer wrap from a Canadian shop. This is gunmetal, basically ASB but already cut and thin so ready to wrap.

It does crack me up where I have a load of different ties that all essentially look the same despite slightly different materials m.

DaveView attachment 12281View attachment 12282

Hell yeah we are!
We tie for ourselves, not the fish.

RichS

Life of the Party
A couple more bass bugs
DSCN2565.JPG
A small one. Small bugs catch bass and can even catch big bass. They also draw lots of strikes from panfish too small to eat the fly and small bass.
Hook: TMC 8089 #10
Tail: 6 grizzly neck hackles
collar 1: grizzly
Collar two gray over white deer
Body: White over gray over white deer
eyes: 5 MM

DSCN2568.JPG

DSCN2569.JPG
Frog popper
Hook TMC 8089 #6
Weed Guard: 20# Mason hard mono
Tail: Cohen frog legs
Collar/body: Chartreuse over Black over yellow deer
Face: red over yellow deer
Front legs: SRF laser legs
Eyes: Spawnflyfish frog eyes

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter

DaveView attachment 12281View attachment 12282
Do we overthink it? Oh, yeah. How about these guys? A "GM"shoot out? https://flyguys.net/product-reviews/gun-metal-shoot-out-best-gmc-chironomid-fly-material

Tubbster

Steelhead
Last day of quarantine and I’m feeling so much better just still exhausted. Did a simple tie because I wanted to get ready to go out to see if I have the energy to swing a few flies. Variation on a Mulkkis Fly. My favorite flies to tie are definitely shrimp patterns.AD1C7EC8-3F04-424C-B82F-5A1BDEA9856A.jpeg

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I saw them in a different pattern video, so made my own with plastic and super glue and normal eyes. The advantage is that you can easily tie them in very securely and don’t have to worry about gluing them to the materials.

Caddisflyshop.com sells the real deal as does madriveroutfitters.com.
UPDATE: Destruction tested two flies by (completely unscientifically) repeatedly casting it into a cinder block wall, Planned to cast it straight into the wall from 30’ away until both eyes gone. My youngest son picked 20 casts as a good number. Originally he picked “one-dy nine”-we may end up saving on college with that one.

Usual/“Standard” glue method: 7 casts before it lost one eye. 11 casts total, second eye gone. 20 casts, both eyes gone and material completely gone from tube.

Tab eyes: 15 casts before first eye popped off, tab stayed on. 17 casts second eye gone. 20 casts, tabs still on but head of fly coming loose. Material coming off.

So I went back to the desk and used some flexible waterproof contact cement I had from another project. Need a better applicator, but let it set, tied them on a new fly, and went back out. After 18 casts into the wall the material came off the tube. Tabs still attached to the plastic strip, one eye slightly loose. Eyes were seriously scratched up, but still “fishable” and could have been fixed. The rest of the fly was not fishable—synthetic fibers can get so fouled up!