What's in your vise?

Oliver1329

Life of the Party
Not quite as easy to tie, but if you do the body by slipping the fur into a dubbing loop and cutting it off the hide, it's much less bulky and absorbent, but retains the movement of the soft fur.
I do the same with micro pine squirrel leeches
If you get a big chip clip or something like that it makes the process super easy. Loons D-Loop tweezers also work really well.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Dubbing loops can be a lot of fun. Like every technique it just takes a little practice.
Lot’s of things can go into a loop.
I agree that a bulldog clip is helpful as are the tweezers. There are specific tools as well. I’m liking the loon tweezers

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
12 pack of hair clips from the dollar (and something) store have a permanent spot in my tying tool drawer.

I'm envious of the skill level you (and others) have with regards to these spey flies....your attention to detail is phenomenal. damn!
Another one from tying night with buds

View attachment 8773

View attachment 8774

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Dubbing loops can be a lot of fun. Like every technique it just takes a little practice.
Lot’s of things can go into a loop.
I agree that a bulldog clip is helpful as are the tweezers. There are specific tools as well. I’m liking the loon tweezers
Ooooh - those tweezers look like they'd be easy to hold in the same hand as the spinner while you manipulate material. Nice!

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I've been tying lots of AK flies with rabbit and wondering why I don't use it more in the salt. I like that top one. I can't remember where I picked it up, but one finishing touch I like to do is trim the end of the leather to a point. I remember the tier I saw it from saying it helps shed water casting and give more action to the tail. I'm not too sure about the former, but the latter makes sense to me.

I’ll give that a shot. I used to fish a ton of bunny for coho when I first started a with good success. Need to do that more. The movement is just so good.

I think the same way. Then I cast them and remember why.

I think the tools we fish for SRC and coho make this not as big a deal as one might think. I am fishing bead/conehead bunny stuff and don’t find it too difficult to cast with a salty 6 weight. For the stuff I tie, I am also not using a ton of bunny, maybe a 3 inch piece.

A bit heavier than the typical SRC fly but definitely manageable, and certainly less difficult than tossing stinger clousers all day for coho!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Flash N Slinky for primary length and body, Primotail grade A bucktail underneath to hold its shape, FTD dubbed head (can't remember which specific one), FTD dragon eyes. size 2 B10S in the rear, size 2/0 Owner Mosquito up front. 6" total length.

FHNcaep.jpg