What's in your vise?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I dont disagree. But something like hash tags would simply make it searchable for someone looking for specific types of patterns, it certainly wouldn't affect much else.

I'm like you, I take inspiration from all manner of stuff here, but I can see the value in the posts being a bit more searchable. For new fly anglers the flies themselves often get overwhelming. Seems it's common for newer people to be unsure of what patterns to use for what species, and they often lack the confidence and experience to know that just because someone ties a fly for bass doesn't mean it couldn't also be used for src, for example. Simplifying things for newer folks can go a long way for those just starting out.

Anyway, not a big deal either way really. Mostly just thinking out loud. I have in the past thought it would be handy to be able to mark, or favorite specific posts. I love the original thread as much as anyone, and have spent countless idle hours just browsing. But there has also been many times I come in looking for a specific pattern I had seen and it often takes an annoyingly long time to find it.

The thing is, I almost exclusively fish trout, but I definitely take inspiration from src, albacore, steelhead, musky, etc flies. So it's kinda nice in one hot mess

Zak

Legend
I dont disagree. But something like hash tags would simply make it searchable for someone looking for specific types of patterns, it certainly wouldn't affect much else.

I'm like you, I take inspiration from all manner of stuff here, but I can see the value in the posts being a bit more searchable. For new fly anglers the flies themselves often get overwhelming. Seems it's common for newer people to be unsure of what patterns to use for what species, and they often lack the confidence and experience to know that just because someone ties a fly for bass doesn't mean it couldn't also be used for src, for example. Simplifying things for newer folks can go a long way for those just starting out.

Anyway, not a big deal either way really. Mostly just thinking out loud. I have in the past thought it would be handy to be able to mark, or favorite specific posts. I love the original thread as much as anyone, and have spent countless idle hours just browsing. But there has also been many times I come in looking for a specific pattern I had seen and it often takes an annoyingly long time to find it.
I think @Norm Frechette had a good system of listing the name, recipe, and source under the picture of his fly. I just made a template for that and will try to use it. Then, if you can remember an ingredient in the fly, you can find it more easily. It is very hard searching for a picture with no text.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
there has also been many times I come in looking for a specific pattern I had seen and it often takes an annoyingly long time to find it.
It is amazing how fast a pattern you just saw is 4 pages back. I love all the saltwater, bass and muskie stuff in with the trout flies. I'll never fish for bonefish or tuna, but I enjoy looking at the flies tied, and reports about fishing for them.

kerrys

Ignored Member
Sweet Kerry
Your tie??
I tied the fly in the pic. The recipe came from a magazine article on midwest smallmouth bass fishing. Like I said when I saw it…cutthroat. I might still have the magazine. If I find it I will post the recipe. Although you can likely figure it out from the pic. It’s a simple tie.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I tied the fly in the pic. The recipe came from a magazine article on midwest smallmouth bass fishing. Like I said when I saw it…cutthroat. I might still have the magazine. If I find it I will post the recipe. Although you can likely figure it out from the pic. It’s a simple tie.
It looks good
I didn’t know you tied. BTW- did you see Chris’s fish? Nice one

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
My second set of flies for the March Madness tourney that @Stonedfish is running on WFF: It's a variation on the classic Ferguson Green and Sliver which I was introduced to by Les J many years ago. Yeah, my deer hair spinning skills are mediocre, but the fish don't care. It shares the Muddler's versatility; fished deep on a sunken line the buoyancy keeps it off the bottom, works topwater on a floater, or (like yesterday) a fast retrieve may do the trick when they just don't seem to want all the normal offerings you've tried.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
My second set of flies for the March Madness tourney that @Stonedfish is running on WFF: It's a variation on the classic Ferguson Green and Sliver which I was introduced to by Les J many years ago. Yeah, my deer hair spinning skills are mediocre, but the fish don't care. It shares the Muddler's versatility; fished deep on a sunken line the buoyancy keeps it off the bottom, works topwater on a floater, or (like yesterday) a fast retrieve may do the trick when they just don't seem to want all the normal offerings you've tried.

I love those!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Beadhead softhackle gold ribbed hares ear.20220130_160853.jpg20220130_162948.jpg
Sz 8 Fulling Mill FM45 50
5/32 or 3/16" tungsten slotted bead
Burnt orange thread or orange
Tail clump of hares mask
Medium gold wire rib
Loop dubbed light to dark blended mask fur, tail cleanings right behind hackle.
Turn and a half of brownish partridge
Thread hot spot or small tuft of dubbing
Cement or wax tread and 5 turn whip finish.
Confidence box for stream trout, it works 24/7/365
20220130_163333.jpg

Last edited:

dpenrod

Smolt
Going against the grain here with all these masterpiece spey flys, but dreaming of big spawning smallies come spring. Pattern variation was picked up in a Lefty book, and then applied to a small #10 jig hook.
I tie a simple olive leech on a jig hook that catches more fish for me every year than any other fly I fish...maybe because I fish it more. Has accounted for trout, smallies, LMB, bluegill, redear, crappie and catfish. Really like the Umpqua U555 hook. Long shank jig. Makes for a great bugger/leech. Well done on your tie.