What's in your vise?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Nice. Never too soon to prep for tuner season. What hooks and foam heads you use on these again?

These ones are tied on 1/0 Gami B10s hooks with Wapsi "Perfect Popper" heads size 4.

I'm still trying to find the best head/hook combo. I had a couple packs of the absolute perfect size heads a handful of years ago that allowed me to tie on 2/0 Ahrex Predator Stinger hooks and they would ride absolutely perfectly. Unfortunately I didn't take note of the specifics of those heads and when I ran out I haven't been able to find them. Now it seems every head I find is either way too large for what I'm going for, or just slightly too small. When too small they have a hard time keeping the fly tied on a heavier hook riding right on the surface...they have a tendency to pull under after a few strips.

So I'm experimenting with these slightly smaller heads and using them on slightly smaller hooks. The gap seems fine on these hooks with the head on, and I've caught albacore on them in the past so I know they're strong enough. Just wish I hadn't been dumb and actually saved the details of those original heads as they were just perfect.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
These ones are tied on 1/0 Gami B10s hooks with Wapsi "Perfect Popper" heads size 4.

I'm still trying to find the best head/hook combo. I had a couple packs of the absolute perfect size heads a handful of years ago that allowed me to tie on 2/0 Ahrex Predator Stinger hooks and they would ride absolutely perfectly. Unfortunately I didn't take note of the specifics of those heads and when I ran out I haven't been able to find them. Now it seems every head I find is either way too large for what I'm going for, or just slightly too small. When too small they have a hard time keeping the fly tied on a heavier hook riding right on the surface...they have a tendency to pull under after a few strips.

So I'm experimenting with these slightly smaller heads and using them on slightly smaller hooks. The gap seems fine on these hooks with the head on, and I've caught albacore on them in the past so I know they're strong enough. Just wish I hadn't been dumb and actually saved the details of those original heads as they were just perfect.

Please post any progress on these. I need to go back to the drawing board on my popper attempts. Focus less on looks and more on action. I assume yours float pretty high?

Scottp

Legend
FAM II

53650259837_e56d2df190_c.jpg

53651132436_47602e6b7e_c.jpg

53651479849_e366787707_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #8
thread - SemperFli 8/0 black
butt - foam chartreuse
rib - small wire silver
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear grey
hackle(s) - grizzly/neon green
1st shoulder - Mearns quail dyed chartreuse (1 Tbs Rit Neon Yellow/1 cup water)
2nd shoulder - chukar body feather
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Barred marabou shrimp. This stuff does not wrap as cleanly as other types of marabou. It should work though. I think I need a new shrimp box.

Don’t worry, I’ll annoy you fine perusers of the “What’s In Your Vice” thread with my new this is the “best SRC pattern ever” soon. I tend to find a new one every 4-6 months ;).

IMG_4765.jpeg

Scottp

Legend
McPhail’s Stephan’s Certainty Muddler (variation)

53653533217_307041a7db_c.jpg

53654629678_0660656439_c.jpg

53654758574_55bf903605_c.jpg

Had to sub a couple things; time to dye up some bleached deer hair. Interesting color combinations; here’s his video, if you’re interested.

hook - WFC Model 6 #8
thread - SemperFli 8/0 black
tail - marabou olive
rib - #14 tinsel peacock
body - marabou olive
shoulder - partridge dyed hot orange (1 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1 Tsp Rit Sunshine Orange, 1/8Tsp Rit Scarlet/1 cup water)
collar/head - caribou hair dyed Silver Doctor Blue (2 packs Koolaid Ice Blue Raspberry/ cup water)

Regards,
Scott