What's in your vise?

Zoran

Steelhead
IMG-6722.jpg
IMG-6723.jpg
IMG-6725.jpg

RichS

Life of the Party
Imitative Boobies. I have had good success with both of these. They are excellent for fishing right on the bottom with very few snags and are relatively weed free. have posted the dragon before but with rubber legs. Both types work.
booby damsel.JPG
Damsel
Hook: 2-3x long nymph hook #10-12
tail: Olive marabou
abdomen: Olive hares ear
rib: Olive or chartreuse wire
thorax: filoplume from olive or yellow ringneck
eyes: foam cylinder
Wing case: Turkey- coated with UV resin (helps with filoplume durability)

boobydragon1.JPG
boobydragon.JPG
Dragon
Hook: Daiichi 2220 or 1720 #6
Rear/tail: Olive marabou
body: Olive deer
Legs: Olive or yellow pheasant wrapped and trimmed from top and bottom
Eyes: Foam Cylinder

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
This may be a stupid question but how come you tie them so far back on the shank on the 2nd and 3rd flies?

I do it to try and prevent fouling. Not sure it actually works great for that purpose though :). I’ve tied flies like this off and on for a few years and they work well and seem to foul less. I tied these because I am fishing with kfish tomorrow and he tied some this week. If they end up being the the hot fly, I want a couple in my box! I think it originated with tarpon flies and if you read about it the reasons people cite are varied…to prevent fouling, act as an extra bite tippet, so the fly could be snelled.

I also just like tying different crap too. Just to see if it works. SRC are a good fish to do that with.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I do it to try and prevent fouling. Not sure it actually works great for that purpose though :). I’ve tied flies like this off and on for a few years and they work well and seem to foul less. I tied these because I am fishing with kfish tomorrow and he tied some this week. If they end up being the the hot fly, I want a couple in my box! I think it originated with tarpon flies and if you read about it the reasons people cite are varied…to prevent fouling, act as an extra bite tippet, so the fly could be snelled.

I also just like tying different crap too. Just to see if it works. SRC are a good fish to do that with.
Thank you!!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
These are going to get wet tomorrow...hoping the fish care (although I did pick up one this morning on a fly similar to the worm here....super finesse...not something I'm used to...)
PXL_20240407_021400660.MP~2.jpg
PXL_20240407_021334087~2.jpg

I'm not so worried about the white one as I'm pretty confident with how that thing will swim...and how I can manipulate it.