What's in your vise?

kmudgn

Steelhead
try coating the head area with epoxy or uv resin. them paint the eyes on the coated head or use stick on eyes
I use Scribbles 3D paint for eyes on epoxy heads. The paint is "goopy" and you can just dab it on. The paint also sticks up from the surface and is possibly more attractive, but only the fish know. Also, the Scribble paint is cheap. I get it at Michael's, and I believe it is about $ 8 for a six pack.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
A jointed mouse. Bought some Kiley's mouse bits from MRFC on a "stupid cheap deal last year. We will see how this fishes. Didn't pack it tight so that it will sit lower in the water. About 3 1/2 inches plus the tail. Rubber whiskers, gray over white deer hair trimmed on the bottom.

View attachment 106775
I keep trying to catch bass on mice, but no luck so far. I switch over to poppers and have luck. Not sure what the deal is. Maybe the bass I am fishing to just don't like eating mammals. But I doubt that.
Nice tie!

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
Those are way too pretty a fly and too big an appetizer to be feeding to bluegills. 😳😉😁
A Ward Bean pattern.
Below from his webpage.

Click for larger view.

Cockaroo​

The Cockaroo wet fly, so named because it's tail and wing come from a rooster Ringneck Pheasant, is one of my favorite panfish flies. Bluegills, especially love to eat this chubby little critter.

Materials List​

Hook​
Mustad 3906B​
Size 8, 10, 12​
Thread​
Uni-Thread - 6/0​
Dark Brown​
Tail​
Ringneck Pheasant​
Rump Feather Fibers​
Underbody​
Uni-Yarn​
Dark Brown​
Body​
Peacock Herl​
2 Herl's​
Wing​
Ringneck Pheasant​
Select Rump Feather​
Collar​
Hen Neck Feather​
Furnace​

Tying Notes​

I tie the Cockaroo in three sizes -- 8, 10, and 12. The Cockaroo in the tying sequence is a size 8.
Of all the body parts, the tail and the wing are constants. Choosing other materials for the remaining parts; the underbody, body, and collar are up to you.
I often substitute Arizona Synthetic Peacock Bronze Dubbing or Peacock Life Cycle Dubbing for the Peacock herl body.
I even use Ringneck Pheasant center tail fibers for the body on the smaller hooks in the same way that they are used on a Phasent Tail Nymph.
On traditional wet flies the collar (hackel) is tied in before the wing. On Salmon Wet Flies the collar is the last part to go on. I put the collar on last to make the fly look more alive in the water. The more moving parts the better.

Angling Tips​

I switch between a strip-pause retrieve and figure-eight hand-twist retrieve with wet flies in still water.
I always attach any fly, that I'm fishing in ponds or lakes, to the leader with a Duncan Knot or non-slip mono knot. All flies, especially top water flies, have much more movement when an open knot is employed.

Last edited: