Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Island-Golden-Green-1080.jpg

Island Golden Green

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Bornholmer Sokken, a Danish Sea Trout fly, I tied a couple of years ago. I sat down yesterday to tie up a few more and couldn't for the life of me remember the name of the fly. Thanks ScottP for helping me out.
Bornholm is a Danish island in the Baltic Sea. Sokken translates to "socks". I don't quite get that.
Anyway, a great fly that has worked well for me on Sea Runs.

View attachment 105050
That is a really great looking pattern, super fishy and just cool all the way around. Will be fun to take a crack at tying some up.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Bornholmer Sokken, a Danish Sea Trout fly, I tied a couple of years ago. I sat down yesterday to tie up a few more and couldn't for the life of me remember the name of the fly. Thanks ScottP for helping me out.
Bornholm is a Danish island in the Baltic Sea. Sokken translates to "socks". I don't quite get that.

View attachment 105050
like it, cousin of Ally's Shrimp pattern
1709049238382.png

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846

View attachment 105050
Are they fishing for browns or salmon?

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
Can you share the recipe that you used?
THanks!
Somewhere, either on PNW or WFF, there is a SBS for this fly.

Hook: Your choice. I used an AHREX NS 156, Size 8. A PARTRIDGE shrimp hook would work as well.
Also, a MUSTAD 9671.
Thread: Black or red. I prefer red and used a UNI 8/0
Tail: Golden Pheasant tippets
Body: Ice Dub Hares Ear
Hackle: Brown Hen (3)
Weight the fly if you like.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
The Ally's Shrimp in smaller sizes my go to for tidewater SRC, in larger sizes for silvers whenever they showed up in estuary, stripped as fast as I could manage.

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Can you share the recipe that you used?
THanks!
Sure.

Hook: whatever 2xl nymph hook you like, #10 - 12.
Thread: I really like the semperfli nano silk 50d, but again, use whatever you like. I like black regardless of the fly color.
Weight: 6-10 wraps of .020 wire
Tail: marabou
Wingcase: more marabou.
Rib: small/medium wire, whatever color you like. Gold or copper is probably a safe bet.
Body: the original recipe calls for wrapping marabou, but I like to dub it. Again, use whatever you like.
Hackle: orange dyed grizzly saddle. I think this is the one you need to keep consistent with the original.

You can do a ton of color combinations, but my favorite are the all olive, olive with a burnt orange tail. Also, I trim the hackle on top of the fly before I tie down the wingcase.

Scottp

Legend
Balanced Damsel II

53556063768_d40abe6bfb_c.jpg

53555862161_22931f7442_c.jpg

53556310755_692c366034_c.jpg

A bit more subdued color pallet.

hook - WFC Model 20 #14
thread - Uni 8/0 light olive
pin - #17 1 1/16”
bead - 1/8 gold
rib - small wire gold
tail/abdomen- marabou dyed olive (2 Tsp Rit Neon Yellow, 1/4 Tsp Rit Apple Green, 1/8 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow/2 cups water)
thorax - Starburst dubbing olive
shoulder - sharptail dyed olive (1 Tbs Rit Neon Yellow/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Sure.

Hook: whatever 2xl nymph hook you like, #10 - 12.
Thread: I really like the semperfli nano silk 50d, but again, use whatever you like. I like black regardless of the fly color.
Weight: 6-10 wraps of .020 wire
Tail: marabou
Wingcase: more marabou.
Rib: small/medium wire, whatever color you like. Gold or copper is probably a safe bet.
Body: the original recipe calls for wrapping marabou, but I like to dub it. Again, use whatever you like.
Hackle: orange dyed grizzly saddle. I think this is the one you need to keep consistent with the original.

You can do a ton of color combinations, but my favorite are the all olive, olive with a burnt orange tail. Also, I trim the hackle on top of the fly before I tie down the wingcase.
@troutpocket developed a great jigged version of this fly. It has brought me much success on central WA lakes in spring, fished under an indicator. I also really like the olive and burnt orange color combo.

Zoran

Steelhead
In the new Flay Fisherman issue Charlie Craven tied euro nymph. that is a milestone and one of the biggest compliments to euro nymphers.
Charlie Craven is a genius.

As many readers know by now, I generally find Perdigons and their cousins to be pretty boring. Simple thread bodies, oversized beads, and little else. They don’t do much to flip my switch as a creative, problem-solving tier, though I have witnessed firsthand how well these simple flies actually work. I can’t say I have changed my opinion much, but Zach VanDeHey’s approach to his Picky Eater Perdigon gives me hope for the future.
Fly Fisherman

I had to quickly tie one 🍻

IMG-6535.jpg
IMG-6534.jpg
IMG-6532.jpg

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Some small unweighted flies for some of the oceanside flats. The fish can be up in 6 to 10 inches of water at certain tides crawling around with their dorsals and tails out of the water. They tend to be smaller fish, mostly 2 to 5 pounds, but they are a hoot to fish for in that shallow water. You really get to watch the whole show and they are spooky.

PXL_20240227_215618522.PORTRAIT.jpg

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
20240227_142531.jpg

More on this intruder/leach thing in my head. Bunny glued into 30# braid, then open spiral wraps, another round of glue to secure. Wrap of bunny to secure wire to hook, then build an intruder station in front. Moves like crazy, casts better than I thought. Heading to a bucket near you!

Scottp

Legend
Balanced Pheasant Softhackle

53556838495_eb13761b7e_c.jpg

53556838490_7effbc9c9f_c.jpg

53555536027_bc644fbc46_c.jpg

A deeper riding version of the original.

hook - WFC Model 19 #12
thread - Uni 8/0 camel
pin - #17 1 1/16”
bead - 5/32” black
rib - small wire hot orange
tail - pheasant neck
abdomen- pheasant tail
thorax - Ice Dub pheasant tail
shoulder - pheasant rump
collar - pheasant aftershaft

Regards,
Scott