What's in your vise?

Why spend $6 on a little piece of foam from Hareline when you can spend 10 times more on a nifty set of plastic spring loaded clips that do the same thing.

Sheese, this IS fly tying after all.....c'mon guys ;)

go ahead...ask me how I know 😔
I got one of those too.😂

Reactions: M_D

Scottp

Legend
Dom’s Super Simple Carp Fly

53548973648_d29f2ab3a8_c.jpg

53548973643_4584fd228f_c.jpg

53549112579_514f7b39a9_c.jpg

He ain’t lying about the name; here’s the video if you’re interested. I don’t understand why he reverse wraps the body and head; it doesn’t seem to add anything beneficial to the fly and makes securing the materials more complicated. Am I missing something here?

hook - WFC Model 28 #8
thread - Uni 6/0 red
tail/body - ultra chenille red
eyes - medium bead chain silver
head - Arizona SimiSeal red

Regards,
Scott

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Dom’s Super Simple Carp Fly

53548973648_d29f2ab3a8_c.jpg

53548973643_4584fd228f_c.jpg

53549112579_514f7b39a9_c.jpg

He ain’t lying about the name; here’s the video if you’re interested. I don’t understand why he reverse wraps the body and head; it doesn’t seem to add anything beneficial to the fly and makes securing the materials more complicated. Am I missing something here?

hook - WFC Model 28 #8
thread - Uni 6/0 red
tail/body - ultra chenille red
eyes - medium bead chain silver
head - Arizona SimiSeal red

Regards,
Scott
I vote we name these patterns either "red rocket" or "horndog"

chief

Carper
Forum Supporter
@ffb found this video after our last sound outing where we suspected the fish were eating worms.

So this is my first attempt at a Hover Worm. Simple tie, but unbelievably messy lol. Really looking forward to seeing how this fishes with the foam incorporated.

Colors didn't turn out quite like I envisioned in my head but I'm confident this will catch fish. Also might be a bit over dressed. Gonna sparse it up a touch for the next one.

Gonna try some different colors next. I only mixed up enough marabou and flash to do about 27 dozen of this color lol

View attachment 103942View attachment 103943

This pattern got my mind working too. I tied up a couple with foam on the back two sections and a tungsten bead on the front. One is a straight shank and one is a jig shank. Made a mess, but I think these will swim well!

Articulated maribou.jpg

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Tell me more. How many and what size shanks? How was it working with the finesse (I’ve only tied feather changers)
I kept it stupid simple. Four 10mm shanks (with a fifth attaching the hook). I used the minnow body wrap on this one and colored with markers. It's remarkably easy to work with. Wrap it, brush/pick it out, and do an initial trim. Once the fly was done I just kind of trimmed it like an EP minnow. I'd like to experiment with some brushes on the next one.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
My buddy Brett (Wedeking) designed this fly. I am fishing with him in 2 Fridays. Very much looking forward to that trip. Cool to see you tie one of his up!
I remember Brett from when he worked at Creekside Angler in Issaquah. I wondered if that was his pattern!