What's in your vise?

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hover shrimp. Made some small adjustments based on materials on hand and preference…bye bye hackle, hello schlappen! Could have some very effective action fished on an intermediate or type 3 line.
Had a lot of fun fishing these last December. Nice to be able to fish real slow. Check out the Ahrex videos for slo-mo shrimp too if you haven't already. Basically the same thing and includes some good tips for tying them. I used mostly saddle hackle for the legs and really had to beat it up with a wire brush to get it to look semi-decent - one of their tips!

Zoran

Steelhead

IMG-6490.jpg
IMG-6491.jpg
IMG-6492.jpg
IMG-6494.jpg

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I saw you post this in the loop thread, mind explaining its purpose?
You hold a feather (cdc in this fly) by each end and force the quill of the feather into the appropriately sized slot. Doing so pushes the fibers on both sides of the quill straight up. Then you grasp the fibers with a clip, pull the feather from the foam slot, and trim off the quill with scissors. You are left with a bunch of spread out aligned fibers that can be inserted into a split thread or dubbing loop. Essentially, it lets you use both sides of the feather instead of putting the clip on one side of the feather at a time.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
You hold a feather (cdc in this fly) by each end and force the quill of the feather into the appropriately sized slot. Doing so pushes the fibers on both sides of the quill straight up. Then you grasp the fibers with a clip, pull the feather from the foam slot, and trim off the quill with scissors. You are left with a bunch of spread out aligned fibers that can be inserted into a split thread or dubbing loop. Essentially, it lets you use both sides of the feather instead of putting the clip on one side of the feather at a time.

God damn Zak.
Now another gadget I’ll need to buy! 😂
Thanks for the explanation as I was wondering the purpose of those and how they worked.
I can see that being extremely helpful when doing loops.
SF

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
God damn Zak.
Now another gadget I’ll need to buy! 😂
Thanks for the explanation as I was wondering the purpose of those and how they worked.
I can see that being extremely helpful when doing loops.
SF
Yea man! It's like the 21st century you know. They come in different sizes too. With my limited experience they work better with softer feathers.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Yea man! It's like the 21st century you know. They come in different sizes too. With my limited experience they work better with softer feathers.

I’m still stuck in the 18th century when it comes to my fly tying…… 😂
SF