What's in your vise?

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
@ffb found this video after our last sound outing where we suspected the fish were eating worms.

So this is my first attempt at a Hover Worm. Simple tie, but unbelievably messy lol. Really looking forward to seeing how this fishes with the foam incorporated.

Colors didn't turn out quite like I envisioned in my head but I'm confident this will catch fish. Also might be a bit over dressed. Gonna sparse it up a touch for the next one.

Gonna try some different colors next. I only mixed up enough marabou and flash to do about 27 dozen of this color lol

View attachment 103942View attachment 103943

My mind is spinning! I'm thinking smallmouth off a heavy sink! 🤔

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
My mind is spinning! I'm thinking smallmouth off a heavy sink! 🤔

Ya, I'm really intrigued by the concept of this fly. In the sound it could be fished in just about any scenario by just changing the sink rate of the line. One area we fished at low tide a few weeks ago was super flat and shallow. A pattern like this could be fished on, say, a type 3 line in 3' of water but still stay up off the bottom.

No doubt the same would apply to your lakes. I'm looking forward to seeing how it swims in various scenarios out there.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Ya, I'm really intrigued by the concept of this fly. In the sound it could be fished in just about any scenario by just changing the sink rate of the line. One area we fished at low tide a few weeks ago was super flat and shallow. A pattern like this could be fished on, say, a type 3 line in 3' of water but still stay up off the bottom.

No doubt the same would apply to your lakes. I'm looking forward to seeing how it swims in various scenarios out there.
Did you use a @SpawnFlyFish shank up front?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Did you use a @SpawnFlyFish shank up front?

I used two 20mm shanks from Fish Skull as I only had small jig shanks from Spawn. I'll have to make an order for some of their smaller shanks as I think a bit smaller would give more versatility for a lot of movement without making it absurdly big. This one, with a Size 6 Ahrex NS172 and two 20mm shanks is about 3-3 1/2"

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
No…it’s a variation of Galloup’s Belly Bumper Craw. He adds a third squirrel zonker strip on top of the body…I purposely left it off to make a slimmer profileView attachment 103930 fly to cast with my 175 gr skagit head and my 10’ 9” Contact II…but after looking at it, the body seemed too thin, so I took the velcro to it. I’ll dub the body a bit thicker on the next ones, and in olive & brown.
Ok. I asked because I could not see the hook. After a looong bit of study I finally caught sight of it

SpeyrodGB

Steelhead
@ffb found this video after our last sound outing where we suspected the fish were eating worms.

So this is my first attempt at a Hover Worm. Simple tie, but unbelievably messy lol. Really looking forward to seeing how this fishes with the foam incorporated.

Colors didn't turn out quite like I envisioned in my head but I'm confident this will catch fish. Also might be a bit over dressed. Gonna sparse it up a touch for the next one.

Gonna try some different colors next. I only mixed up enough marabou and flash to do about 27 dozen of this color lol

That is a crazy pattern.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
Working with different colors and getting a feel for the proportions.

View attachment 104004
Curious what your hookup ratio is when you fish that. I tied up a couple of different, but similar worms from the same tier. I landed a handful on that pattern but missed a lot of fish on it today. It got a ton of interest though. In the end went back to a standard worm type pattern and hookup ratio was much better. Was thinking it might be how src take these worms. Next time out, I might modify a tad and putting the hook middle back to see if that helps. Also could have just been some funky fish today :).

Here is the pattern…also very messy. Marabou dubbing loops can really make it snow marabou if you are not careful..ha.

IMG_4225.jpeg

Zoran

Steelhead
Hanak White Bead Collaborator

IMG-6472.jpg

IMG-6468.jpg

IMG-6469.jpg

IMG-6470.jpg

Divad

Whitefish
Working with different colors and getting a feel for the proportions.

View attachment 104004
Curious what your hookup ratio is when you fish that. I tied up a couple of different, but similar worms from the same tier. I landed a handful on that pattern but missed a lot of fish on it today. It got a ton of interest though. In the end went back to a standard worm type pattern and hookup ratio was much better. Was thinking it might be how src take these worms. Next time out, I might modify a tad and putting the hook middle back to see if that helps. Also could have just been some funky fish today :).

Here is the pattern…also very messy. Marabou dubbing loops can really make it snow marabou if you are not careful..ha.

View attachment 104007

Have you thought about placing the hook a little further up, replacing a shank section? You might have better hookup as I’m sure some cutts attack these from the side.

Cool pattern will whip some up once my shank reorder gets here.

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I used two 20mm shanks from Fish Skull as I only had small jig shanks from Spawn. I'll have to make an order for some of their smaller shanks as I think a bit smaller would give more versatility for a lot of movement without making it absurdly big. This one, with a Size 6 Ahrex NS172 and two 20mm shanks is about 3-3 1/2"
we got lots :)

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter

It certainly is an interesting pattern...almost like a swing leech

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

View attachment 104007

Cool pattern.
I’ve caught cutts in the past with similar worm patterns with the hook back like that similar to a stinger pattern, but have more luck with patterns tied on standard hooks. To me, our saltwater cutthroat are more head hunters.
SF

Last edited: