La Diane du Suroit

Philippe Desfossés

Body - Flashabou Accent in green Highlander or substitute
Wings - Wood duck flank feather
Throat - Wood duck flank feather
Thorax - Green (No. 57) and black Scintilla or substitute

Bagman

Steelhead
Got a question for all you great tiers. My daughter is living in Idaho and has some chickens, she also picked up some guinea foul and sent me some feathers from the guinea’s. I picked up a few feathers from a garage sale awhile back and they had some bugs I was lucky enough to have kept them in the closed bag that they came in so I didn’t get any bugs in my feathers. My question is how do I go about kill the bugs if they’re any in my guinea foul feathers from my daughter to insure not to get bugs in my other feathers? Can I just soak them in IPA?

Divad

Whitefish
Got a question for all you great tiers. My daughter is living in Idaho and has some chickens, she also picked up some guinea foul and sent me some feathers from the guinea’s. I picked up a few feathers from a garage sale awhile back and they had some bugs I was lucky enough to have kept them in the closed bag that they came in so I didn’t get any bugs in my feathers. My question is how do I go about kill the bugs if they’re any in my guinea foul feathers from my daughter to insure not to get bugs in my other feathers? Can I just soak them in IPA?
I read on the old site to freeze for a couple weeks, take out and freeze again for a week. Others state you can also microwave it for 30 seconds, but if I did that I might want to do a test piece first.

Salt and borax granules afterwards. If your tying storage is in an area prone to bugs then mothballs or some other smelly deterrent would be good to keep either in the bag or drawer.

I read on the old site to freeze for a couple weeks, take out and freeze again for a week. Others state you can also microwave it for 30 seconds, but if I did that I might want to do a test piece first.

Salt and borax granules afterwards. If your tying storage is in an area prone to bugs then mothballs or some other smelly deterrent would be good to keep either in the bag or drawer.
Storing materials in ziplock sandwich and/or freezer bags and plastic tubs will prevent spreading or re-infection. Mites will also show up in hair materials as well, make sure they are not contaminated.

Scottp

Legend
Pheasant Bits Crippler

53324192476_f94e73dfdd_c.jpg

53324536459_9d0f777306_c.jpg

53324192466_77d7dccce8_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 camel
tail - pheasant neck
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub pheasant tail
hackle - ginger
1st shoulder - pheasant shoulder
2nd shoulder - pheasant neck

Playing around with some of the lesser-used parts of a ringneck.

The shoulder feather is a warm golden ginger color; beautiful on it’s own and easy enough to dye (a good sub for increasingly hard to come by golden pheasant).

53324422083_40e02711e6_c.jpg

The neck feathers have very neat markings; really need to incorporate them more into my flies.

53323314742_4c0d88bc6d_c.jpg

Regards,
Scott