What's in your vise?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Good looking flies. Just one suggestion. Consider putting your stinger hook all the way back to the end of your fly. Early in the season when salmon are inhaling baitfish, in my opinion you really don’t even need a stinger. A standard clouser will work fine as will your flies pictured here.
Late in the season when the coho get super nippy, is when the stinger way back on your fly can really shines. You’ll feel bites (plucks) that makes it seem like your fly just ticked a piece of eel grass. Super subtle takes.
SF

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Thank you SF, appreciate the feedback, I'll take any I can get as we go into what will be my first go at these fish from the beach. Pretty stoked to give it a go!

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Good looking flies. Just one suggestion. Consider putting your stinger hook all the way back to the end of your fly. Early in the season when salmon are inhaling baitfish, in my opinion you really don’t even need a stinger. A standard clouser will work fine as will your flies pictured here.
Late in the season when the coho get super nippy, is when the stinger way back on your fly can really shines. You’ll feel bites (plucks) that makes it seem like your fly just ticked a piece of eel grass. Super subtle takes.
SF
Question for you and anyone else who might want to chime in: I didn't have any died bucktail in pink, chartreuse etc. so subbed craft fur, anyone use this for clousers? Seems like it might want to foul and also not really retain any body shape but rather turn into a skinny multi colored leech? I do have some pink and white sculpting fiber so may do a pink over white in that and see if I can get a fuller body/tear drop shape.
Thanks in advance.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Question for you and anyone else who might want to chime in: I didn't have any died bucktail in pink, chartreuse etc. so subbed craft fur, anyone use this for clousers? Seems like it might want to foul and also not really retain any body shape but rather turn into a skinny multi colored leech? I do have some pink and white sculpting fiber so may do a pink over white in that and see if I can get a fuller body/tear drop shape.
Thanks in advance.

Craft fur will work.
I’ve never found a synthetic though that I like as much as bucktail and how it swims for clousers.
SF

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Oh that's a good looking streamer. I see an olive pheasant rump feather in the tail, but what's the rest of the body? Palmered marabou? or a different feather?

Thank you.
The tail is olive pheasant. I was going to use if for the body also, but didn't like it, too stringy.
So I switched to olive hen back for the body.
Feather of hen palmered, tuft of marabou on top, another hen feather, another tuft of marabou, 5 or so times.

I used this video as the guide, with some minor changes on my end.

Zak

Legend
I'm off of work this week, so posting alot lol.
Think it's my best parachute yet. Happy with the hackle, dubbing could be a little more even

View attachment 69638
Nice fly! I forget which famous fly tyer said it, but these are words of wisdom: "Take half the amount of dubbing you think you need, then divide that in half." You can always take more wraps with the lightly dubbed thread to build up the body and your fly will be more durable, as well as neater. Kelly Galloup explains starting at minute 8:00 in this video:

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice fly! I forget which famous fly tyer said it, but these are words of wisdom: "Take half the amount of dubbing you think you need, then divide that in half." You can always take more wraps with the lightly dubbed thread to build up the body and your fly will be more durable, as well as neater. Kelly Galloup explains starting at minute 8:00 in this video:

It's true. I've been working on that, but I still have a tendency to make a one and done noodle, so when it's too long/large I either end up like this, or having to try to tug some off and it gets loose causing the same effect.
Thanks for the tip, definetly one I need to employ.

Reactions: Zak

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
Thanks in advance.
Craft fur will foul more but shouldn't be as big of a problem with the stinger. I like the way craft fur moves in the water. I don't generally use it on clousers but do on other flies. I also like slim clousers, if it where me I wouldn't try to make those bulkier.

Scottp

Legend
Culton’s Hammerdown Hopper (variation)

52990876784_f4f9a468c2_c.jpg

52990742236_f978ceb24b_c.jpg

52990142097_0ed01ee93a_c.jpg

52990142102_49e84e2956_c.jpg

Took Zak’s neat version of Steve Culton’s fly and added a more curved-shank hook. This might make a nice short-wing stone imitation on a #8.

hook - WFC Model 30 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 tan
tag/rib - Mirage Flashabou opal
abdomen - hare’s ear bleached
wing/head- deer hair
thorax - Ice Dub hare’s ear grey
hackle - grizzly

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Bucktail-Doctor-1080.jpg

Bucktail Doctor

Atlantic Salmon

Tip - Lower half, flat silver tinsel; the upper half, yellow floss
Tail - Golden pheasant crest feather
Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel
Body - Dubbed with black lamb's wool
Hackle - Guinea fowl barbs tied in at the throat
Wing - Natural brown bucktail tied low over the body

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just one guided day at Isla Blanca on our family vacay in Cancun.
Good for you and good luck. Hope you get a permit. I just got back from Cape Cod and stripers would eat those no problem. Had some fun crabby sightfishing action.

Crawbugger

Steelhead

SKYKO

Tail End Boomer
Forum Supporter
Taking inspiration from Scudely's pattern a few pages back, I think these will cast like a breeze and have really good movement and to SF point early season they are likely to smash & grab eating the whole thing. Thanks for posting that one up.20230621_093723.jpg

Scottp

Legend
Culton’s Hammerdown Hopper II

52992321050_abda31099f_c.jpg

52992321045_ab26538167_c.jpg

52992414208_59eb0a8875_c.jpg

Added an underwing, which should add a bit more floatation, and a shoulder, which doesn’t seem to add much of anything so probably won’t do that again.

hook - WFC Model 30 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 tan
abdomen - Australian possum
underwing - Congo Hair shiner tan
shoulder - pheasant rump
wing/head- deer hair
thorax - Ice Dub hare’s ear brown
hackle - ginger

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Coulton’s Hammerdown Hopper II

52992321050_abda31099f_c.jpg

52992321045_ab26538167_c.jpg

52992414208_59eb0a8875_c.jpg

Added an underwing, which should add a bit more floatation, and a shoulder, which doesn’t seem to add much of anything so probably won’t do that again.

hook - WFC Model 30 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 tan
abdomen - Australian possum
underwing - Congo Hair shiner tan
shoulder - pheasant rump
wing/head- deer hair
thorax - Ice Dub hare’s ear brown
hackle - ginger

Regards,
Scott
Awesome fly! I'm going to add an underwing (probably snowshoe foot) to my next one.

FYI, it's Steve Culton, not Colton. His blog currentseams.com is a wealth of info on tying and fishing, especially re east coast stripers and the Farmington River in CT.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
A bunch of these. I don’t remember what they’re called, but I took some photos of them a while back and am only now getting around to tying them up (for an upcoming trip to Alaska). If you know what they’re called, please let me know.

IMG_9429.jpegIMG_9431.jpeg

Last edited: