What's in your vise?

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Tried some Stalcup Ultra Damsels, size 16. I bought the original (left) from a fly shop long time ago. Had 2, @jasmillo broke one off and this is the sole survivor to serve as example :)

Used Hareline midge tubing, squeezed inside pliers and held under flame for a bit to get the segmentation effect. Tuft of marabou slid inside the tube and uv cured. Went over it with olive marker since I could only obtained chartreuse.

30lb mono eyes, heated up and mashed down.

The original was tied so well with ridiculous amt of details.

DSC05365.jpg

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Tried some Stalcup Ultra Damsels, size 16. I bought the original (left) from a fly shop long time ago. Had 2, @jasmillo broke one off and this is the sole survivor to serve as example :)

Used Hareline midge tubing, squeezed inside pliers and held under flame for a bit to get the segmentation effect. Tuft of marabou slid inside the tube and uv cured. Went over it with olive marker since I could only obtained chartreuse.

View attachment 61428
Those are sick

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
A couple chum fry patterns for tomorrow.
Chum baby tied fuller due to previous reports on size.
View attachment 61371

Playing around on this one. I got some practice to do.
Tail: grizzly hen feathers
Body: pearl diamond braid and sharpie
Topping: black pearl flashabou and peacock herl
Stick on eyes and coated in UV cure
View attachment 61372
For those that have tied something similar, what order do you tie in the components? I'm having a hard time with the tail-body transition.
Hi Gary. I don't quite get what you trying to do with that tail. I wouldn't use the grizzly hackle tip and the peacock herl. Rather, strip the fibers from the hackle tip and tie them in for the tail. Or, use more peacock herl for the tail and long enough for the back. I prefer pheasant tail for the back and tail.

As far as tie- in order and assuming you are using peacock herl or pheasant tail there are a number of ways to do it.

(Best way I think) Tie in PH or PT first, fold back the PH or PT out of the way and tie in your body material. Wrap the body material forward, then pull your PH or PT forward and tie down. Add eyes, marker, epoxy etc.

You could also first tie in and wrap the body forward, then tie in the PH or PT at the front of the hook. Tie off your thread and retie it at the tail and tie down the PH or PT and whip finish.

You could tie in a piece of fine wire or thread at the tail, tie in your body material and wrap forward, tie in the PH or PT at the head then capture the tail with the wire, rib forward and tie off with your thread. Add eyes, marker, epoxy.

I add a little krystal flash to the tail and some red for gills. This pattern has been working really good for me last few outings.Untitled.png

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Hi Gary. I don't quite get what you trying to do with that tail. I wouldn't use the grizzly hackle tip and the peacock herl. Rather, strip the fibers from the hackle tip and tie them in for the tail. Or, use more peacock herl for the tail and long enough for the back. I prefer pheasant tail for the back and tail.

As far as tie- in order and assuming you are using peacock herl or pheasant tail there are a number of ways to do it.

(Best way I think) Tie in PH or PT first, fold back the PH or PT out of the way and tie in your body material. Wrap the body material forward, then pull your PH or PT forward and tie down. Add eyes, marker, epoxy etc.

You could also first tie in and wrap the body forward, then tie in the PH or PT at the front of the hook. Tie off your thread and retie it at the tail and tie down the PH or PT and whip finish.

You could tie in a piece of fine wire or thread at the tail, tie in your body material and wrap forward, tie in the PH or PT at the head then capture the tail with the wire, rib forward and tie off with your thread. Add eyes, marker, epoxy.

I add a little krystal flash to the tail and some red for gills. This pattern has been working really good for me last few outings.View attachment 61442View attachment 61442View attachment 61453View attachment 61454View attachment 61455
This is a huge help, thanks Jack!

Scottp

Legend
Octopus Variant

52814643914_dfc5c4a383_c.jpg

52814879133_8af6919216_c.jpg

52813865727_ba1353e521_c.jpg

Playing with colors.

hook - WFC Model #10
thread - Uni 8/0 light olive
tail - yarn chartreuse
rib - Orvis Saltwater thread fluoro orange (doubled)
body - Starburst dubbing olive
hackle - olive
1st shoulder - pheasant rump dyed orange (1 Tbs Rit Sunshine Orange/1 cup/water)
2nd shoulder - Mearns quail dyed chartreuse (1 Tbs Rit Neon Yellow/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Orange_Coachman_(C)_1080.jpg

Orange Coachman (C)

Winged Wet Fly

Tail - Golden pheasant tippets
Body - Peacock herl, orange floss, peacock herl
Hackle - Orange
Wing - White

The Fisherman's Handbook of Trout Flies - Donald DuBois

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter

View attachment 61428
Seriously impressive man!!

Flytyer

Smolt

View attachment 61428
Wow, really nice!

Scottp

Legend
Olive & Orange Muddler

52815154485_6d7d1f676c_c.jpg

52814936534_c9c008d04e_c.jpg

52815196013_cde81dc7c7_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model #10
thread - Uni 8/0 light olive
tag - Orvis Saltwater thread fluoro orange/resin
rib - small wire chartreuse
body - Starburst dubbing olive
hackle - olive/orange
shoulder - chukar dyed chartreuse (1 Tbs Rit Neon Yellow/1 cup water)
collar/head - deer hair dyed olive

Regards,
Scott

Scottp

Legend
Muddled Skwala Crippler

52817064846_86d9d98c66_c.jpg

52817526758_93d7cb69da_c.jpg

52817261054_15eb00efa9_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 camel
tag - Krystal Flash black/resin
rib - small wire gold
body - Ice Dub hare’s ear brown
hackle - brown
shoulder - pheasant rump dyed black (1 Tbs Rit Dark Brown/1 cup water, overdyed with 1 Tbs Rit Black/1 cup water)
collar/head - deer hair

Regards,
Scott