What's in your vise?

Divad

Whitefish
It ain't terrible (by my standards lol)
Size 8 hook.
Layers of craft fur
Little flash
Dubbing loop with combed back craft fur to build the head.
And the eyes.

Never even heard of a dubbing loop until a few days ago. Love messing around with them now. Still learning it though, obviously

View attachment 66463
Nice fly! The loops are addicting, it’s fun adding more things to it (composite loop). I too have the Peak vise, be sure to put a rubber stopper of some sort on the bottom of your spinnner.

I have the OPST spinner and after a few loop breaks of twisting too far it, the powdercoat chips from that heavy sob. The little 1/4in round bumper now helps immensely.

Reactions: Zak

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice fly! The loops are addicting, it’s fun adding more things to it (composite loop). I too have the Peak vise, be sure to put a rubber stopper of some sort on the bottom of your spinnner.

I have the OPST spinner and after a few loop breaks of twisting too far it, the powdercoat chips from that heavy sob. The little 1/4in round bumper now helps immensely.

Good to know. My spinner isn't too heavy, but it's metal all the same. Thanks.
I just picked up the Peak a couple days ago. I went in thinking renzetti but Iiked the heavier base and liked the simpler jaws as well. Couldn't justify the extra money after seeing the two side by side. Especially for my level.
So far I'm happy with it.
Just barely scratching the surface of the loops recently. Been loving cdc recently also, want to work on cdc collars. Also mixing in ice dub with fur and such. So many options.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Good to know. My spinner isn't too heavy, but it's metal all the same. Thanks.
I just picked up the Peak a couple days ago. I went in thinking renzetti but Iiked the heavier base and liked the simpler jaws as well. Couldn't justify the extra money after seeing the two side by side. Especially for my level.
So far I'm happy with it.
Just barely scratching the surface of the loops recently. Been loving cdc recently also, want to work on cdc collars. Also mixing in ice dub with fur and such. So many options.
I have the Peak, too, and think it's great. Definitely all the vise I need.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Bootes-Black-1080.jpg

Bootes Black

Tip - Gold tinsel
Tail - Black duck/goose quill
Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body - Maroon wool or fur
Hackle - Black
Wing - Dark slate duck/goose quill

Trout - Ray Bergman

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Gosling-1080.jpg

Gosling

Tail - Gray hackle*
Body - Green floss
Hackle - Gray
Wing - Slate duck/goose quill
Trout - Ray Bergman

*The written recipe listing for a gray tail is clearly missing in the color plate fly painting.
The Gosling in the photo above is tied according to the written recipe.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Question for you Norm.

On your perfect paired wings, do you have a high "waste rate" when plucking? Are you throwing away alot of "wild" wings until you find the perfect shape?
Or are you pretty successful just yanking off the quill and they work out every time?

The few paired wings I've tried, seem to get one side good and the other side does what it wants.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice!. Is that pheasant rump, partridge, or something else for the collar on the Willie? I'd fill that neck in with peacock herl, myself.
That's a good idea, the neck is bugging me lol. I'll toss some on there

That specific fly i used hens back.
20230527_160125.jpg

But I've been liking this Chinese pheasant also. Little stringier, especially in the larger feathers, but makes a nice collar.
20230527_160130.jpg

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Grandson's first fly. He was very into it, and all business.
Got a feeling we'll be making more whenever he wakes up, normally like 10ish lol.
I've created fly tying monsters in the last 24 hours. 1 yr old granddaughter insists being by me while tying flies, she stacks spools of thread and begs to play with scissors and anything else sharp.

20230527_205630.jpg

Jack Devlin

Life of the Party
Found this BC pattern on the interweb. It is called "Ball of Fry". I was a bit leery of rubber legs on a chum fry pattern but what the heck.
I've fished the pattern a few times for SRC and it has worked quite well.IMG_0393.jpgPS. The more I look at this fly the more I think Damsel fly.

Last edited:

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Found this BC pattern on the interweb. It is called "Ball of Fry". I was a bit leery of rubber legs on a chum fry pattern but what the heck.
I've been fishing the pattern a few times for SRC and it has worked quite well.View attachment 66769
Looks like that would be an awesome lake fly as well. Kind of a sparkly Olive Willy!