What's in your vise?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Something a little more…stimulating. But seriously, I’m pretty terrible tying flies that float without foam. Working on it though.

View attachment 64517
I like it. One suggestion on these, put a couple turns of the fore hackle behind the head. That should somewhat reduce the tendency of a stimulator to spin, both in the air and if retrieved.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Some little trout swingers sized down from steelhead platforms/patterns.
View attachment 64428
Those look awesome.. what size are they? I'm thinking these would be money for September SRC on the Cowlitz (with the off chance that a steelie might climb on...)

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Trying out this new brand of hook, the saltwater variety. Crushing the barb was way too easy and I accidentally bent the hook tip while at it too, so I did the bend test. This hook is soft, probably no big deal for Cutts and rezzies but I wouldn't use a larger size on salmon :)

PXL_20230508_210406571-01.jpegPXL_20230508_211714992.jpg

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Simi seal leech box filler, sz.10 1xl and 3xl. Lots of missed strikes on long marabou or bunny tails so for now keeping to short tails which is getting me more hookups.
20230508_143125.jpg

Last edited:

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Been watching you all tie up these hairy streamers. Looked like fun.
My first ever attempt at something like this.
Size 6 hook
Yellow bucksin tail (that you can't see)
Then various dubbing for the body. Went gold yellow with a little light grey and rose gold color on top. Little flash hanging out its ass

It's no work of art, but I'm happy with it for winging it.

20230508_190552.jpg20230508_190645.jpg20230508_190649.jpg

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Brown-Mystery-1080.jpg

Brown Mystery

Atlantic Salmon

Hook - Single salmon
Tip - Oval gold tinsel
Tail - Yellow hackle barbs
Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel
Body - Fluorescent orange floss
Hackle - Guinea fowl barbs tied in at the throat. Keep short and sparse just a wisp
Wing - Red pine squirrel tail tied low over the body

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Trying out this new brand of hook, the saltwater variety. Crushing the barb was way too easy and I accidentally bent the hook tip while at it too, so I did the bend test. This hook is soft, probably no big deal for Cutts and rezzies but I wouldn't use a larger size on salmon :)

View attachment 64538
Too bad about the hooks, but that pattern is killer! What's the top winging material? Synthetic bucktail?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
My first attempt at a big Billy bass popper. Well, not quite as big, these are on either size 1 or 2 B10S’ (I can’t remember).

If I’m going to tie more of these I need to get the Wapsi cylinders, these fly men heads are expensive. I also ordered a set of caliart markers (copic knockoffs) to color them up—my kid is pumped. Also need to order from fishingskirts.com these are going to deplete my rubber leg stash fast.

92EB4147-FA2F-42E7-90E5-D22027697948.jpeg
C6B0C065-E04E-4C0E-9265-D7D8E5E89642.jpeg

Last edited: