Tail - Yellow hackle
Ribbing - Silver tinsel
Body - Black floss
Hackle - Yellow hackle fibers
Wing - White goose quill
Cheeks - Jungle cock

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
damn...my eyeballs are getting blurry with just the thought...
Ha! My eyeballs have been blurry for a while and my hands get shaky. I tied those for a trip to the Big Horn in May 2007 or 2009. Can’t remember. I do remember the 22” Rainbow I caught on one of those. Brown trout rising to BWO hatches every afternoon. Read “Tying Small Flies” by Ed Engle. It’s not as hard as you might think. The hardest part for me is getting the hook in the vise.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Ha! My eyeballs have been blurry for a while and my hands get shaky. I tied those for a trip to the Big Horn in May 2007 or 2009. Can’t remember. I do remember the 22” Rainbow I caught on one of those. Brown trout rising to BWO hatches every afternoon. Read “Tying Small Flies” by Ed Engle. It’s not as hard as you might think. The hardest part for me is getting the hook in the vise.
Mahalo...getting ready to spin up a few bling midges in 18...

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
I was going to tie something similar this week...I found a Swiss tyer that uses swiss straw in a similar manner for the thorax...nice tie
The best advice I can give you is to buy a magnetic fly box for your tiny flies. The wind blows hard in the Rocky Mountain tail waters where these are used and one gust can negate hours of work. When these hit the ground, they are impossible to find. Use a small loop style hackle plier to tie them on. These are thread bodied midges, very easy to tie.

FECE40F7-70D9-4AAD-BD7A-274BDB453FB0.jpeg

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Black-Ghost-Conversion-1080.jpg

Black Ghost Conversion

Feather Wing Streamer Converted to a Winged Wet Fly

Tail - Yellow hackle
Ribbing - Silver tinsel
Body - Black floss
Hackle - Yellow hackle fibers
Wing - White goose quill
Cheeks - Jungle cock
whoa, thats amazing... I wouldn't even begin to know how to fish it, I know nothing about wet flies. I thought streamers were wet flies... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Originally tied this style to a shank with a free flowing hook off the back. On this, I went back to my tried and true black but tied on an Ahrex Trout Predator Long in 4/0. Foam off the ass, counter balanced up front. I pack a little extra in there for materials so not as easy to cast as most of my stuff, but it helps it swim in a very specific way.
PXL_20230221_181338226~2.jpg
PXL_20230221_181346433~2.jpg

Divad

Whitefish
853A2151-B782-45FA-A8FA-0986F3AA6D7E.jpeg

F6C6F0E9-3281-4ED1-BCD6-7A9ACCD3336F.jpeg

Composite Loop Baitfish 1.5”

Tail: (2) Grizzly Hackle tips
Body: Tinsel w/ Grizzly Hackle and Wire
Shoulder: Composite Loop (Predator Wrap, Icelandic Sheep Grey, Amherst Tail, and a little glow dubbing)
Hook: Alec Jackson sz 9

The hackle wrapped body and composite loop keeps the sheep hair nicely spread out when wet with minimal material.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Originally tied this style to a shank with a free flowing hook off the back. On this, I went back to my tried and true black but tied on an Ahrex Trout Predator Long in 4/0. Foam off the ass, counter balanced up front. I pack a little extra in there for materials so not as easy to cast as most of my stuff, but it helps it swim in a very specific way.
View attachment 55065
View attachment 55066
I could literally tie 400 flies with the material in that one fly...and it reminds me of a piece of art work I have in my homeJimi.JPG

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I could literally tie 400 flies with the material in that one fly...and it reminds me of a piece of art work I have in my homeView attachment 55078
really diggin' that artwork.

You'd be surprised at how little actual material is involved. Sure, I packed the head a little denser than normal (by design), but it's still far less than it looks like on the surface.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
really diggin' that artwork.

You'd be surprised at how little actual material is involved. Sure, I packed the head a little denser than normal (by design), but it's still far less than it looks like on the surface.
I’m tying 18’s right now…

Still digging’ Jimi…