What's an Orvis Ultrafine 55 Rod?

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Ran acorss one that seems to be in good shape but can't find any information through a Google search. It's graphite... and that's about it.

Anyone know what a "Ultrafine 55" is?

(The rod is 7'9" long, so it's not the length.)

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Hi, there is a 7'9" 5 weight Orvis Superfine rod called the "Far & Fine" and a 7'9" 2 weight rod called the "Ultrafine" but I have never heard of and am not familiar with a 7'9" Superfine 55.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
This is just a guess but maybe the "55" is actually 5.5 which is the Orvis Flex Index, rating for the rods flex profile.

I copied this from the Orvis Website.

"The Orvis Flex Index, which the company developed in the mid 1990s, describes the speed and amount of power required to make a rod bend to a predetermined load, and it allows Lepage to assign a numerical value between 2.5 and 12.5 to a specific rod action. The higher the number, the faster the rod action."

I believe that the Orvis Ultrafine rod, is a 7'9" 2 weight, full flex rod, rated at 5.5.

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
This is just a guess but maybe the "55" is actually 5.5 which is the Orvis Flex Index, rating for the rods flex profile.

I copied this from the Orvis Website.

"The Orvis Flex Index, which the company developed in the mid 1990s, describes the speed and amount of power required to make a rod bend to a predetermined load, and it allows Lepage to assign a numerical value between 2.5 and 12.5 to a specific rod action. The higher the number, the faster the rod action."

I believe that the Orvis Ultrafine rod, is a 7'9" 2 weight, full flex rod, rated at 5.5.

That was it. when I enlarged the picture of the rod, there's a "." between the fives. Never would have noticed it if I hadn't been looking for it. Thank you!