Whatizzt?

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was recently given a shoebox full of old brittle tying materials. I think the box has been passed down through maybe 4 generations of tyers, as one old guy died it went to his surviving friend and so on. Some of the stuff is still in unopened cellophane packets bearing addresses that predate zip codes. The zip went active in 1963! Anyway….in the box I found these wire brackets and have been puzzling over their function. Do you suppose these might have been intended to hold tying thread? Were they maybe “bobbins” in those dreadful beginner kits that included one yellow and one red duck quill, 4 hackles, 4 herls, 3 inches of chenille and 6 hooks?

997D4969-7B0D-4FBB-AF11-E668E8121746.jpeg

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
put a spool of thread on one of those wire brackets to find out if it holds a spool. then post another photo

the hooks on the left are designed for popper flies

They actually look like the springs from an old mouse trap. I'm sure they can be adopted to fly tying in some way. I know I would find a use for them on my desk.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was recently given a shoebox full of old brittle tying materials. I think the box has been passed down through maybe 4 generations of tyers, as one old guy died it went to his surviving friend and so on. Some of the stuff is still in unopened cellophane packets bearing addresses that predate zip codes. The zip went active in 1963! Anyway….in the box I found these wire brackets and have been puzzling over their function. Do you suppose these might have been intended to hold tying thread? Were they maybe “bobbins” in those dreadful beginner kits that included one yellow and one red duck quill, 4 hackles, 4 herls, 3 inches of chenille and 6 hooks?

View attachment 108241
Well, the folks at TMC need not fear loss of market share to these things. I think that they were included in el cheapo tying kits as bobbins. They will function as such, barely.

4A98C33B-546E-4281-BFEB-474E72428987.jpeg

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have bonefish on the brain! That color thread makes dream of a Christmas Island Special