What type line?

DarrellP

Steelhead
I went to Denny Rickard's seminar and bought a sink tip line. I have not had great results so far. I seem to generally do better with my floating line. I do fairly well with an intermediate sinking line. Do you guys switch lines based on season, time of day? I am not sure if this was the right forum for the question, but I am specifically asking about stillwater applications.

Last edited:

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
The clear tip line that Rickards promotes is great…for the waters he spends his time on. I have a Rio midge tip that is similar. I like to have it on my boat in case there’s a callibaetis or chironomid hatch in the shallows. For me, it’s a “just in case” line. My other sinking lines get a lot more use. But if I spent my time fishing the shallow flats in huge reservoirs, I’d fish that clear tip a bunch.

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
For my Stillwater use I typically have two rods strung up and available. One is the old SA Mastery Series Clear Intermediate Stillwater line that Denny used to promote. I don't think this line is no longer available, but I like it so much that I have bought a couple of backups and spares and I continue to keep an eye out on E-Bay for anymore that goes on sell. I know alot of folks don't care for this line as it does have a coil problem, and I can confirm that it does, but I learned to deal with it. Also, folks also have reported that it does sink a bit more than a standard Intermdiate line and I also agree that it does, but for me this line has been killer and it is my go to line for Stillwater. Love it.

The second rod is a Type V to go deep. I have use the old Airflo Sixth Sense Type V. This line has worked well for me as well. Sometimes when I know I won't be fishing in water over 10 feet then I switch over to the old standard SA Type III line to fish deep - but not too deep :).

However, this year I did get the Rio Midge Tip line with a 10 foot clear intermediate tip as well, so on my last trip I strung up a third rod and gave this line a try and I have to say I liked it alot! Easier to cast than the Intermediate line and I used it to cast up in extermely shallow water along bank and reeds and I enjoyed fishing it alot as it is a great line to stalk those risers near the shore and it gave more of hunting and casting experience vs just pulling the intermediate and full sinks line. I anticipate I will be using this line more for risers and fish feeding just under the surface on midges or callibaetis.

I will string up a Floating line occasionaly when the few times I am fishing dry flies - but for me that not often as I do better subsurface and I don't like to bobber fish Chrinomids so a floater isn't used by me as much as other Stillwater guys use it.

To answer your question - the depth that I want to fish and what the fish seem to be feeding on and their activitiy will dictate which line I will be using, not necessarily the time of day as much - even though early in the morning and later in the evening or if it is a cloudy day, the fish will ofter move up in the wate column so the intermediate and midge tip lines are used more in those conditions. The Type V is used more during bright sunnier days with little wind or if there is no fish activity on the surface.

The key point that the fish activity will dicatate which line you used more than any other factors, followed by weather conditions.

My two cents :)

Peach

DarrellP

Steelhead
Thanks. I appreciate your help. I had noticed the intermediate line Denny used to sell sinks more than advertised. I have caught a lot of fish with it in the past, though.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Last fall I bought the Cortland Camo Tip 7 and like it for shallow to intermediate fishing depths. Very easy casting line.

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have 3 rods rigged whenever I am stillwater fishing.
1. Floater with a long leader for indicator fishing.
2. Clear camo line (and I have both the sink tip version and the full sink....and use them interchangeably).
3. Full sink (have both type 6 and RIO OBS I/5/7.

I'll usually rig two midges or a micro leech and a midge on the indi setup. Callibaetis or minnow pattern on the camo line. Big bugger on the fast sink (or sometimes two midges and just hang it deep).