What rod for John Day smallmouth?

prmike307

Smolt
If we have enough water, a group of us will be floating Service Creek to Clarno on the John Day. What weight fly rod should I bring?

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I am catching a lot of river smallmouth on a TFO BVK 10' 5 wt. Is it the best rod for the job? I have no idea, it is so good I haven't lusted for anything better.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I had a lot of fun with a 4wt. Should be plenty for 99% of the fish you catch. I did catch one bruiser that took a while to land but still got er done. If you want to throw streamers as opposed to topwater (boooo) then a 6 is good.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Are you going in spring or summer?

I like to go in the spring wen the flows are up. Makes for a much easier float. The water is usually up and has some color so I like a 7wt so I can chuck a sinking poly leader and a deer hair/rabbit strip style fly.

If going later then a 5wt to throw little poppers. I'll even bust out the 3wt glass to make the little fish fun.

prmike307

Smolt

I like to go in the spring wen the flows are up. Makes for a much easier float. The water is usually up and has some color so I like a 7wt so I can chuck a sinking poly leader and a deer hair/rabbit strip style fly.

If going later then a 5wt to throw little poppers. I'll even bust out the 3wt glass to make the little fish fun.
Early June

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Early June
Just make sure you’ve got a rod you feel enables you to stick a popper or skater into juicy looking pockets on either bank. I’ve done the JD once, and it was in June. My experience was all about drinking boatloads of beer and casting funny flies to exciting pockets hoping for a splash.
EBA62232-04BB-4BFE-89E0-952D2B063FDC.jpeg
The Sooner Schooner was the big hawgz preference bar none until it was lost in a willow. The OKC thunder fly was more of a dink catcher.

This…was no fun to cast on the 4wt. The tail certainly generated interest though.
68867C61-EC9E-4E9B-B1B8-BF6E16714A8D.jpeg

prmike307

Smolt
Just make sure you’ve got a rod you feel enables you to stick a popper or skater into juicy looking pockets on either bank. I’ve done the JD once, and it was in June. My experience was all about drinking boatloads of beer and casting funny flies to exciting pockets hoping for a splash.
View attachment 8441
The Sooner Schooner was the big hawgz preference bar none until it was lost in a willow. The OKC thunder fly was more of a dink catcher.

This…was no fun to cast on the 4wt. The tail certainly generated interest though.
View attachment 8445
Those are definitely creative flies!

Replicant

Steelhead

Nothing like 3wt glass and little bass.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
By June it will be a small fish smorgasbord. Go light and have fun. I would recommend large hooks to get your fly past all the tiny guys to the decent fish. Might be worth it to bring a rod to throw a heavy clouser behind big boulders/basalt cliffs with deep water if you want to find the bigger fish.