NFR What podcasts are you listening to?

Non-fishing related

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Criminal is great, some poignant episodes and some kind of absurd, like the town in Florida with an epidemic of self-dismemberment insurance fraud.

99 percent invisible is a great podcast about the designed world around us.

This Week in Virology has been my go to for the emerging science around COVID, especially the weekly clinical updates.

Imaginary Worlds scratches the sci fi and fantasy itch.

Everything is alive is kinda funny. The host interviews an inanimate object

Slow Burn does a season each on watergate, Clinton/Lewinsky, Biggie/Tupac. Great reporting.

RCF

Life of the Party
This may sound weird. I do not listen to podcasts. Much as I try, I can not remained focused on them.

To me it is like the difference between listening to a lady strip and watching one strip. There is no comparison...

Last edited:

Dennisoft

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I don't even know where to find podcasts or how to listen to them other than here on my computer, which seems like a waste of time. Seems like a podcast would be good filler while I'm doing something useful, or while walking around the lake. So do you load them onto your phone and listen to them the same as if you have music on your phone? I don't have music on my phone, I have it on an MP3 player.
They're probably easiest to access via smartphone app. I like to listen when I'm in the kitchen, on the road, tying flies, etc. It's just like talk radio except it's on demand and far more variety.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Okay-I'll bite. What the hell is a podcast?
Basically like a recorded audio discussion (by entertainers, popular contemporary American fascists, scientific experts, etc.) you can download and listen to at will via your computer or smartphone.

Personally I'm not particularly keen on podcasts unless they're from recognized experts (like noted scientists) and even then prefer transcripts (which are very often not available) because I'm not reading impaired.

Much of it is ignorant political drivel similar to what you'd find on talk radio.

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Basically like a recorded audio discussion (by entertainers, popular contemporary American fascists, scientific experts, etc.) you can download and listen to at will via your computer or smartphone.

Personally I'm not particularly keen on podcasts unless they're from recognized experts (like noted scientists) and even then prefer transcripts (which are very often not available) because I'm not reading impaired.

Much of it is ignorant political drivel similar to what you'd find on talk radio.

Thanks Krusty, it sounds like something else to keep us umbilicaled to an electronic device rather than have a real life. If is anything like talk radio it has to be in the realm of passive brainwashing. Hell, I can produce drivel myself, I don't have to sign up to hear someone else's!

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Most here have mentioned listening when they are otherwise stuck doing something else, such as driving. Podcasts are no more of an electronic leash than turning on the radio on your drive to work in the morning. But if you're looking for an excuse to dislike them, that's what you'll see I suppose.

Same with topics covered. Sure you can seek out Podcasts that comfirm the idea that it's all drivel, and you'll definitely find that. But it would be just as easy to find a podcast focused on baking bread, crossover SUV reviews, and why the DH is an abomination.

Unlike the radio you can choose to listen to just about any topic you can come up with and aren't limited by what is coming in static free at any given time.

This is a great idea, to be honest, I'm too lazy to search for other podcasts to listen to, I'm looking forward to hearing what others are listening to. I only listen to two, but I highly recommend them to everyone.

1. Mill House
2. Pat Mcafee show

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
In no particular order:

The Young Guides
Ologies
Troutbitten
Fly Fish Food
Orvis
Bent
Casting Across
Captains Collective
Wild Fly

Deansie

Steelhead
Now that I’m back in the office more, listening to more in the commute so appreciate this thread for new ideas. Two mainstays are below, up until now haven’t had time for any more.
- Meateater
- Spitin Chiclets

krusty

Forum Supporter
I suppose some of just often prefer the sound of silence in a world filled with endless noise.

I have friends that run their TV 24/7 and cannot drive without a radio blaring.

To each their own!

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I suppose some of just often prefer the sound of silence in a world filled with endless noise.

I have friends that run their TV 24/7 and cannot drive without a radio blaring.

To each their own!

That sounds like me lol. I sleep with the TV on and if I'm home all day always have it on, really just for background noise. If I'm doing anything like tying flies, cleaning house, driving etc I am listening to music. I constantly have headphones on at home.

Funny enough though I really dislike music while fishing. I know lots of boat owners who install stereos on their boats so they can listen to music while running and fishing and stuff, and I am not a fan. My new boat has a stereo, came with it, and I basically never use it for that reason.

One of the worst charters I ever ran was a group of former frat brothers that hung a Bluetooth speaker on the back deck and played music all day. I had the biggest headache ever by the time we got back to the dock.

Overall I haven't listened to that many podcasts, mainly because I listen to so much music. I just prefer music if I'm doing most things that don't require my audible attention.

I was a guest on a small podcast a couple months ago. That was pretty fun.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
That sounds like me lol. I sleep with the TV on and if I'm home all day always have it on, really just for background noise. If I'm doing anything like tying flies, cleaning house, driving etc I am listening to music. I constantly have headphones on at home.

Funny enough though I really dislike music while fishing. I know lots of boat owners who install stereos on their boats so they can listen to music while running and fishing and stuff, and I am not a fan. My new boat has a stereo, came with it, and I basically never use it for that reason.

One of the worst charters I ever ran was a group of former frat brothers that hung a Bluetooth speaker on the back deck and played music all day. I had the biggest headache ever by the time we got back to the dock.

Overall I haven't listened to that many podcasts, mainly because I listen to so much music. I just prefer music if I'm doing most things that don't require my audible attention.

I was a guest on a small podcast a couple months ago. That was pretty fun.
Wait. Aren’t you the guy with a fancy sound system installed on his boat?

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Most here have mentioned listening when they are otherwise stuck doing something else, such as driving. Podcasts are no more of an electronic leash than turning on the radio on your drive to work in the morning. But if you're looking for an excuse to dislike them, that's what you'll see I suppose.

Same with topics covered. Sure you can seek out Podcasts that comfirm the idea that it's all drivel, and you'll definitely find that. But it would be just as easy to find a podcast focused on baking bread, crossover SUV reviews, and why the DH is an abomination.

Unlike the radio you can choose to listen to just about any topic you can come up with and aren't limited by what is coming in static free at any given time.

To each his own, but that’s what works for me too. Long drives, walking the dogs, the gym in the before times, those are perfect for podcasts.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I’ve definitely listened to podcasts while fishing beaches for coho. If I’m not actively having a chat with the fisherman around me, having a podcast on as I make the same exact cast over and over for 5 hours does help pass the time. Usually, I’ll start at daybreak listening to nothing. I enjoy the quite of the beach that time of day. Some days by mid morning, the head phones go in though. My wife got me into some of the true crime stuff so I’ll listen to those sometimes. Occasionally some fly fishing podcasts. I try and stay away from anything that will annoy me while fishing so politically bent stuff is a no no for me. I’ll also listen to Sirius XM occasionally. I enjoy the Bennington Show and previously the Ron and Fez Show as well.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Wait. Aren’t you the guy with a fancy sound system installed on his boat?

Lol yup...as mentioned above, boat came with it and I almost never use it. I believe I played a song on it while we were running last month, mainly just to prove it worked lol

krusty

Forum Supporter
There's nothing worse than enjoying a quiet paddle up the very narrow Priest Lake Thorofare and having a succession of party barges and ski boats travel by with huge speakers blaring music...though I'm not nearly as aggravated if they're crewed by nubile women in T-bars.

And since my wife is paddling her own kayak it's very difficult for her to give me an elbow in the ribs and ask "did you get a good enough look?".

Last edited: