Non-Fly what hook to replace trebles with on spinners?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I need to know. I fished a fishery over the weekend where artificial, single hook only was allowed. I had already replaced the trebles on my little panther martins and other weighted spinners with some size 6 Gami siwash hooks. Honestly, I'm not too thrilled with how they do. So, what's everyone's goto (that's not treble)? Do you split ring whatever it is? Dirtbag curious minds want to know.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I've got gamakastu siwash on all my spinners....but.....gonna try out the matzuo - those look nice.
My decision to split ring or not is based off laziness and how much of a pain in the ass it will be to get the split ring on, even with split ring pliers. So the smaller spinners I don't put split rings on. The bigger spinners and spoons all have split rings. Looking at my box, looks like I give up with split rings around a size 3 blue fox spinner.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
yeah, the little gami's I put on would sometimes come in a little sideways....I'm not completely sure why. I'll check out those Matzuo sickle hooks.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Seems like most the spinners I buy come with a single point, or come with both (like a Blue Fox). But I'd swap out for a Gig River Gami if I had to pick one.

Divad

Whitefish
What size are you guys using for the Matzuo siwash sickles? Specifically for coho/pinks. I bought some size 1s but they seem massive with a long shank, maybe try a size 4?

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I like siawash hooks but I downsize them significantly. For spinners and spoons you don't want and don't need a big gaff swinging around.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
What's the smallest you go?
I'd use 2's and 4s unless I was somewhere that I expected large chinooks.

Usually I am replacing the hooks on blue fox size 4 and it's like a size 1/0 or 2/0.. way too big.