What do I have here?

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I found this while clearing some junk.

Fenwick voyager, combo fly and spin. It's in really good shape. Original case, rod sock, cork looks barely used. Maybe my dreams of a fiberglass rod have been answered? Should I use it or display it?

20231115_201154.jpg

20231115_201114.jpg
20231115_201124.jpg
20231115_201148.jpg

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I have a feralite fly rod with the same green sock and Triangle case. It dates from the early 70s. I love the rod and still use it often. Give it a try with both the spin and fly outfit. I bet it would make a good pack rod..

Dragon Mo

Keep Calm - Drink More Whisky
Forum Supporter
This was my first "attempt" at owning a fly rod. I say attempt because IMHO it's a lousy fly rod and not much better as a spinning rod. I'd use it as a wall hanger, nothing more. Try to find a Fenwick FF79, 8' 6wt. Now that was an excellent rod that I still own and occasionally use. The Fenwick FF756 is an excellent choice as well. A 6 wt. and 6" shorter.
Shoot mon, donna git me started on dem ol glass rods!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’ve had several of those. Not really rare and mass produced.
Unless it has super sentimental value and you only want to hang it, you should either use it or sell it.
It you use it and in the unlikely case it gets damaged, you could find a similar to replace it. I think I sold the ones I had for about $75.00.
SF

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I’ve had several of those. Not really rare and mass produced.
Unless it has super sentimental value and you only want to hang it, you should either use it or sell it.
It you use it and in the unlikely case it gets damaged, you could find a similar to replace it. I think I sold the ones I had for about $75.00.
SF
Yea, what I saw online was $75-$150 depending on condition. It was either my great grandfather, grandfather or oldest uncles. Interesting to find something 50+ years old that is in such good condition.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Those also make fantastic streamer rods loaded up with a streamer oriented shooting head in the 200gr range. Just point and shoot.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I have a feralite fly rod with the same green sock and Triangle case. It dates from the early 70s. I love the rod and still use it often. Give it a try with both the spin and fly outfit. I bet it would make a good pack rod..
I had one when I started to fly fish. I learned to cast flies with it and did catch fish rigged with either fly & spinning reels. I used the spinning reel with flies and lures in high lakes. Not too long after that I bought an entry level 9' Cortland 6 weight graphite fly rod, and only used the Fenwick in high lakes because it didn't cast as well as an entry level fly rod. Within about a year I bought "Gary Loomis Signature" IMX 9' 6 weight from a shop that was closing its doors at a great price. After that I also bought a Cabela's IM6 spinning pack rod for high lakes. I didn't need three 6 weights so I gave the Fenwick to a neighbor kid. And now I just add a spinning reel and a few favorite lures to a 7-piece 5 weight fly rod kit that works well for high lakes when I don't bring a float tube, saving space and about 5 lbs.

All that said, try it. If you like it, fish it!

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I had one when I started to fly fish. I learned to cast flies with it and did catch fish rigged with either fly & spinning reels. I used the spinning reel with flies and lures in high lakes. Not too long after that I bought an entry level 9' Cortland 6 weight graphite fly rod, and only used the Fenwick in high lakes because it didn't cast as well as an entry level fly rod. Within about a year I bought "Gary Loomis Signature" IMX 9' 6 weight from a shop that was closing its doors at a great price. After that I also bought a Cabela's IM6 spinning pack rod for high lakes. I didn't need three 6 weights so I gave the Fenwick to a neighbor kid. And now I just add a spinning reel and a few favorite lures to a 7-piece 5 weight fly rod kit that works well for high lakes when I don't bring a float tube, saving space and about 5 lbs.

All that said, try it. If you like it, fish it!
I'm definitely going to use it, I like old stuff.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
With the guides it has on it, would be better off a spinning rod. I wish it didn't have the sliding rings on the cork for the spinning reel seat.
I'm sure you could get some sort of cable saw like a plumber might use to cut off a ABS pipe in a tight spot. Slip it under the slip ring and cut it free. There must be many other options too. Dremel tool and cutter blade? If you did manage to nick the cork you can mix some Titebond glue and cork dust to easily fill it or use oak colored wood filler.

Attachments

• cable saw.jpg
    cable saw.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Like Stonedfish posted, it's not a rare or uncommon rod, so whether it would be a wall hanger depends on your point of view. Most of the old Fenwick glass rods are pretty good to very good casters. Some might be real dogs, but I haven't cast one that is, just one that was definitely sub-optimal. So try it and see if it suits you. You're not out anything if it doesn't, and it should be easy to sell if you decide it's not for you.

Among my lake fishing set ups is a Fenwick 4-piece 7 1/2' 6 wt that I'd long forgotten just how good a caster that rod is. So I've returned it to my regular lake fishing rotation.