NFR What Are You Reading

Non-fishing related

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
The Andrew Baca Esq. detailed analysis of the Houston taqueria shooting. He's one of the leading experts on use of lethal force in the country. This case is really complex because it can be broken down into 5 distinct events happening in a rapid chain. I would not want to be the district attorney, judge, attorney for defense, or even a juror on this one.

This forum /site almost daily.There are some brilliant minds here and many world class tiers who deserve much more recognition.

The after action report of the US Deputy Chief of Staff of Operations for Desert Storm (263 pages, War College archives). It details which units were exposed to the oil well fire fallout, D.U. dust and low level radiation from the use of DU sabot rounds in the M1 and Apache and A10 cannons, (goddess, i love that airplane) and burn pit exspoure.

It's a must read if you're a Desert Storm veteran fighting the VA for compensation and assistance due to the long term health effects.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sounds good, you read this?
worthwhile.
Next up after Lakota America by Hamalainen and looking forward to it. I worked out of South Dakota in the 70s & 80s. One of my friend’s names was Littlejoy, an Oglala. It struck me one day where, and probably how his surname originated.
Cynthia Parker’s story is an interesting read as it relates to the Stockholm Syndrome. Sometimes we tend to look at a situation from our own mindset not thinking how absolutely ragged and rough it was 150 years ago. After her initiation into the band she had to have the attitude…I can do this….it may be the only way I survive! Quannah Parker is such an interesting story of how the Comanche used female captives and other slaves to strengthen their individual groups and bloodlines. Spent some time around Amarillo last May, headed back this May to Palo Duro and Adobe Walls if time allows. Thanks for the recommendation.

Edit: name correction/brain fart

Last edited:

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anyone interested in history of the 1900s should read "A bright and shining lie"
The story of America's debatable involvement in South East Asia.
I have to go back now and read this again. Sheehan did a great job on lining up the actors and situations and pointing out how Vann’s perspective was spot on. I also want to see if anything is mentioned about the French, when WW2 in Europe was winding down, were hiring the Japanese military, who we were still at war with, to oversee their vassals, the Vietnamese, so they would not lose their SE Asia empire. Euro-colonialism at its best.

wetline dave

Steelhead
Reading one of my all time favorite writers. Robert Parker's "Perish Twice",

He is one of a kind and sad he has passed. Though several of his outlines have been preserved and very capable writers are bringing them to life in Parkers distinct style.

If you haven't read him give him a try. They are light but somewhat complex too who done its.

Dave

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Reading one of my all time favorite writers. Robert Parker's "Perish Twice",

He is one of a kind and sad he has passed. Though several of his outlines have been preserved and very capable writers are bringing them to life in Parkers distinct style.

If you haven't read him give him a try. They are light but somewhat complex too who done its.

Dave
I too have enjoyed Robert Parker's books - I also have enjoyed the Jesse Stone films.

Last edited:

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Two good, quick reads by Chris Pavone; mystery with many twists and turns. Two Nights in Lisbon and The Expats. Hard to put down.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My daughter is trying to get some reading time in while concentrating on her career and her time is limited. So I advised her (you can disagree) to make sure to start with 3 great American novels that are quick reads. They are My Antonia by Willa Cather, The Human Comedy by William Saroyan and I just added To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Currently I'm working my way through Julius Caesar by Billy Shakespeare. I try to read a play or two every winter and find them thoroughly enjoyable. My favorite so far has been the Merry Wives of Windsor which is a very funny comedy. Thanks for growing my reading list.

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
While I won’t disagree with your suggestions, I would tend to suggest what applies to her interests/passions. Some light stuff while she pursues her career. Winds of War / Atlas Shrugged would not be on my suggested list for her.

Rvrfisher360

Floatin’
Forum Supporter
Stumbled upon a local history book that claims the Pacific Northwest was first explored in the 1500’s by English Privateer Sir Francis Drake, and was covered up for hundreds of years. It contains a lot of interesting history, and stories about pirate treasure.

1675121235078.jpeg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
From a suggestion in this thread, I just finished reading "Dreamland" by Sam Quinones, a rather dark documentary on opiom and heroin addiction in this country. Usually I read a book in two to four days, not so with Dreamland, I struggled to want to read it. I had no idea how many Americans became addicted to the "morphine molecule" - oxycodone (Oxycontin) courtesy of our local physicians (and a marketing strategy from Purdue Pharma) and then black tar heroin as oxycodone addicts transitioned to heroin. Staggering numbers, difficult to read, depressing and very sad yet enlightening.

wetline dave

Steelhead
Just finished M C Beatons "Pushing Up Daisey's". A good read if you like British who done its. They have a different favor so to speak.
Also finished Stuart Woods "Wild Card". Not one of his better reads but sill a worthy perusal. His books are good reads for the most part and maybe I am a bit burned out on his writing as I have read several of his books recently.

Dave

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I just pre-ordered Victory City by Salman Rushdie, which comes out tomorrow.

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have an assortment of fly fishing books that I don't need any more. I can ship them to a new home if anybody wants them. I figure better to pass them on than give them to a second hand store.

Let me know if yo are interested.