NFR What Are You Reading

Non-fishing related

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Getting some good ideas here. I have a hard time finding books that interest me. I seem to lean toward historical fiction/non-fiction. I can't handle who-dun-its, especially those with exaggerated (and not believable) characters and story lines.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
-The Altered Carbon 3 book series by Richard K Morgan, outstanding sci-fi noir
-The James Lee Burke 'Dave Robicheaux' books starting with his first...no one writes better
-Craig Johnson's 'Longmire Series' a fun read
- Dennis Lahane's Shutter Island, Gone Baby Gone, and Mystic river -
-Any and all by William Gibson, Bruce Sterling and Neil Stephenson

Reactions: Zak

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
-The James Lee Burke 'Dave Robicheaux' books starting with his first...no one writes better
I haven't had the pleasure of reading Altered Carbon, Bruce Sterling or Neil Stephenson, but all the others are top shelf!

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm a bird guy and will often reads specific books to birds. Currently reading House of Owls, Tony Angell. He also does sketches and other art work pertaining to birds.
Book has a lot of nice owls facts.

We have had the pleasure of having screech, great-horned and barred owls in your yard. Now we only have barred as they are an aggressive owl and will prey on / force out other owl competitors.

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm reading The Sea Runners, finally, given to me by my son in 2019. Good yarn and writing from Ivan Doig. Love WWII Naval stuff so good to see some suggestions here. My other book is Atlas of the Heart, Brene' Brown. Just your basic 67 year old guy getting in touch with my emotions. I'm also reading some Bach most evenings, mostly cello suites.

Westside

Freshly Spawned
”The Living” by Annie Dillard. Historical fiction (novel) of Whatcom County in the early 1900s. Very engrossing. I have ordered many of the recommendations given here.

Reactions: Zak

wetline dave

Steelhead
Currently reading "Death on the Potomac" written by Margaret Truman, Harry and Bess Trumans daughter.

Her books start off kind of slow plot wise but pick-up momentum and what seems trivial at the start meshes in.

Over all better than average writer with believable characters and plot.

Dave

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I'm reading The Sea Runners, finally, given to me by my son in 2019. Good yarn and writing from Ivan Doig. Love WWII Naval stuff so good to see some suggestions here. My other book is Atlas of the Heart, Brene' Brown. Just your basic 67 year old guy getting in touch with my emotions. I'm also reading some Bach most evenings, mostly cello suites.
Anything Ivan Doig wrote is worth the read, one of my favorite authors.

Xoxo

I love all of those Dennis Lehane books! Moonlight Mile and A Drink Before The War are good. I love the Angela Gennaro series!

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
A Gentleman In Moscow -
The second novel I’ve read by Amor Towles (The Lincoln Highway). Towles knows how to leave you hanging and wanting more. Superb book! 5⭐

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I guess a lot of people are fishing and not reading? ;-)

I just finished reading "Rules of Civility" by Amor Towles (----^), the third book of his I've read this year. He's a great writer, I hope he gets a few more books published (soon)! 4.8🌟's.

wetline dave

Steelhead
Jupiter's Bones by Faye Kellerman.

Both Faye and her husband are good writers and they keep the plot moving.

I would rate this at 4 stars.

Dave

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
I just read "The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller. It's a post-apocalyptic type story that features fly fishing a lot. The guy writes a bit like Cormac McCarthy and the book was favorably compareded to " The Road" but I found it nowhere near as depressing. I recommend it.

"Devolution" by Max Brooks is also a pretty fun book. It's a bigfoot book by Mel Brooks' son, but it's not as hokey and stupid as everything else in that genre. And it's set in Western WA

Dennisoft

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey by Sam Keith

I don't often read for leisure and have a hard time getting into any fiction. This book is based on the journal of a man who spent a year building and living in a cabin in the Alaskan wilderness - kept my attention on vacation.

Xoxo

I just read "The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller. It's a post-apocalyptic type story that features fly fishing a lot. The guy writes a bit like Cormac McCarthy and the book was favorably compareded to " The Road" but I found it nowhere near as depressing. I recommend it.

"Devolution" by Max Brooks is also a pretty fun book. It's a bigfoot book by Mel Brooks' son, but it's not as hokey and stupid as everything else in that genre. And it's set in Western WA
I have read all of Peter Heller’s books. The River is my favorite.