What are you listening to?

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Discovered George Winston back in the days when you could get a subscription from recording studios to receive their latest vinyl creation from a different, new artist each month in the mail. If you didn’t like it, you simply mailed it back.
I ended up with a bunch of his albums, and saw him in concert with my wife many years ago.

RIP Mr. Winston.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Discovered George Winston back in the days when you could get a subscription from recording studios to receive their latest vinyl creation from a different, new artist each month in the mail. If you didn’t like it, you simply mailed it back.
I ended up with a bunch of his albums, and saw him in concert with my wife many years ago.

RIP Mr. Winston.

Had not heard. I got his album "December" many years ago, still play it as Christmas approaches. RIP Mr. Winston.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
As a life long metal fan, I was never a fan of Ghost for quite a few years but have to admit their later stuff has grown on me. They have kinda evolved from their poppy pseudo metal beginnings into something much closer to modern day stadium rock. Something like a darker Journey and it's become something of a guilty pleasure.

If nothing else it's good stuff to throw on when my wife is in the truck with me as it doesn't instantly put her off.

Jonny Peters

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
As a life long metal fan, I was never a fan of Ghost for quite a few years but have to admit their later stuff has grown on me. They have kinda evolved from their poppy pseudo metal beginnings into something much closer to modern day stadium rock. Something like a darker Journey and it's become something of a guilty pleasure.

If nothing else it's good stuff to throw on when my wife is in the truck with me as it doesn't instantly put her off.

I stumbled upon them listening to Liquid Metal when their first album, Opus Eponymous, came out. I was hooked from the beginning. I’ve watched them go from El Corazon to Climate Pledge and I got pit tix for White River in august. Love the fact a band that sings about death and Satan have gotten so big 😂

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I stumbled upon them listening to Liquid Metal when their first album, Opus Eponymous, came out. I was hooked from the beginning. I’ve watched them go from El Corazon to Climate Pledge and I got pit tix for White River in august. Love the fact a band that sings about death and Satan have gotten so big 😂

I'm a huge metal fan and were familiar with Ghost since their first album but their earlier stuff just didn't do anything for me. Not to bring up the metal/non metal debate, but when they were more seriously attempting to carve a niche in the metal scene their music just didn't tick any boxes for me. If I want good "Gothic metal" or whatever Id rather listen to old Type O Negative or maybe some Paridise Lost or Katatonia or something.

I basically kinda wrote them off and moved on until this last year when I heard some of their newer stuff. Their transition into 80s stadium rock with a dark side is pretty unique and I'm super here for it. Who doesn't love belting out 80s rock hits at the top of their lungs driving down the road on a warm day after all? Now I can do it while singing about the devil :)

Still a metal riff here and there, but I really think this area is truly where this band shines. I think their Grammy nomination this year certainly backs that up. They've found a very unique niche to exist in, and they are damn good at it.

I'd honestly enjoy seeing them live. I've watched some videos and it looks like they put on a really fun show!

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'd honestly enjoy seeing them live. I've watched some videos and it looks like they put on a really fun show!
Ghost w/ Amon Amarth Aug 4 at White River. \m/ \m/

Speaking of metal and every other genre under the sun, I spent Fri-Sun at Remlinger aka Rimlicker Farms in Carnation with King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. Sofa King amazing! KGATLW plays everything. Thrash metal, jazzy groovy funk, garage rock, ethereal Pink Floyd stuff... Something like 20 albums in the past 10 years means there's something for everyone.

Their latest album dropped on Friday and it is solid thrash metal through and through.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Ghost w/ Amon Amarth Aug 4 at White River. \m/ \m/

Thought that was an interesting pairing as soon as I saw the lineup lol. Bet it will be a fun show. Amon Amarths first few albums were incredible. They've kinda become the AC DC of the metal world though. Reliable, but these days their stuff is just kinda.....generic? I dunno. Its about as easy to recognize an AA song these days as ACDC. Still, I'd definitely enjoy seeing them live. They are known to put on one hell of a show.

King Gizzard is one of those bands I've known of forever, but never really got in to for some reason. Metal is funny that way. I listen to a ton of music. Constantly keeping up with new bands, releases etc. But there is just so much friggen variety in the metal scene, and soooooo many quality bands that it's pretty well impossible to get to em all. Still, it's fun to try!

This reminds me of the conversation we had last summer as we were getting our asses handed to us by that south wind on our way back in from offshore lol.