What are you listening to?

Skagittarius

Steelhead
I saw Dead and Co played at Barton hall this week to commemorate the 45th anniversary of what most fans consider their greatest performance. Great to hear Bob and the crew sounding so good...

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I saw a band called Goose at he Paramount a few weekends ago. Sound issues on night 1 really sucked. Night 2 was exactly what I came for.

Turbulence

Skagittarius

Steelhead
That Cornell '77 show really was something.
Indeed it was. It's too bad they didn't perform collectively that well for an entire show more often. A common complaint I've heard from musicians (and others) that don't care for the band's music is how disjointed their live performances were. Objectively, it's hard to disagree but there were always gems. But 77 was the peak.

Reactions: Zak

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Indeed it was. It's too bad they didn't perform collectively that well for an entire show more often. A common complaint I've heard from musicians (and others) that don't care for the band's music is how disjointed their live performances were. Objectively, it's hard to disagree but there were always gems. But 77 was the peak.

I generally just don't hang out with anyone who complains a bunch about that band. You can like them or not. I don't care. Those gems are derivatives of the disjointed parts though. I don't think that you can have one without the other.

The thing with that 77 Cornell show is that they really did not go off script much. If not for those other times when they ventured so far, it would not have been what it was. There is also a maple sugar sweetness and wood stove warmth to the sound. It's all so comfortable and warm.

Zak

Legend
I generally just don't hang out with anyone who complains a bunch about that band. You can like them or not. I don't care. Those gems are derivatives of the disjointed parts though. I don't think that you can have one without the other.

The thing with that 77 Cornell show is that they really did not go off script much. If not for those other times when they ventured so far, it would not have been what it was. There is also a maple sugar sweetness and wood stove warmth to the sound. It's all so comfortable and warm.
You may already know this, Charles, but the Live Archive has so many shows. Multiple recording of most shows: soundboard, taper city, and mixes of soundboard recordings with audience noise from taper city (my favorites).

Bunch of other (jam) bands, too, including Goose.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Doublebluff

As sure as your sorrows are joys
Forum Supporter
Sorry if these have been posted before...

Find the full length video of The Wrecking Crew:

I didn't know the scope of the anonymous studio musician backup band in the 60's. We all knew about the Monkees...

And, check out this young fella playing Rachmaninov:

If you're in a hurry, start at the 37 minute mark.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
And, check out this young fella playing Rachmaninov:

If you're in a hurry, start at the 37 minute mark.

I am probably among the least musical people on the planet. My step father played the piano, professionally in his younger years, primarily a jazz pianist, but he loved to play Chopin. I cannot begin to comprehend how people can play like that, their 2 hands and fingers on each working so completely independently. I am always in complete awe.

Thanks for posting!

cheers

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Probably my favorite album of the year thus far. I've listened to this album a LOT. This song in particular has been constantly stuck in my head.
I love the vocalist. Her voice is so...interesting.