What’s your app-enabled meat thermometer of choice?

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Been trying to get better at smoking (meat, lol), and I’m hitting a wall with the traeger plug in probe and my standard stick-it-in kitchen thermometer. Those of you who use a digital probe that can transmit to your phone, what’s your product of choice?

Thanks in advance!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I've been using Meater....not completely sold on them though because they're a little thick for my preference. I also have one of the Weber ones that transmits to the phone which is better in that regard but still has a cord from the main transmitter to the probe, which the Meater does not.

Reactions: NRC

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
oh, I should also mention that I don't really care for the Meater app either...I've still gotta give them an honest chance though.

Weber's is better (thus far). This is what I have, but a buddy has the one with 4 probes that he absolutely loves for large meals.

Amazon product ASIN B01M30DCHG

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
Love the name “Meater” but that’s two strikes against it in two reviews. Thanks guys.

I use the Meater on occasion, I am not a great cook, but I don't see any issues. I agree that the probe is maybe too thick, especially compared to my instant read probe. When set up properly it tells you how things are cookin', and when it's time to get it off the heat.
I like it. My wife uses it but she makes me set it up.

Reactions: NRC

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I have a meater and it works fairly well for a pork shoulder or brisket. As stated, it is thick and does not work as well for thinner cuts of meat. The other issue is I have a thick ceramic cooker like a Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg, and the signal does not really carry to my phone if I wander off to distant areas of my house.

I have a meater and it works fairly well for a pork shoulder or brisket. As stated, it is thick and does not work as well for thinner cuts of meat. The other issue is I have a thick ceramic cooker like a Kamado Joe or Big Green Egg, and the signal does not really carry to my phone if I wander off to distant areas of my house.
Yes, the distance the receiver can be from the oven, grill on the patio, etcetera can be a problem. That is why I use a tablet that I can leave near the cooker. I researched 'wireless' thermometers and, there are models with thinner probes and greater distance, but the probes are wired to the transmitter so the transmitter can be out in the open. Also Bluetooth communication has about 100 feet (30 meters) maximum unencumbered distance.

Last edited:

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Been using this one.
Simple to understand, easy to install, etc.

Forgot to mention:
A. $55.00 on sale, normally $70.00
B. It's USB -C rechargeable

Attachments

• 20231202_220053.jpg
    20231202_220053.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

flybill

Life of the Party
Saw some good ones in a kitchen store in Gilman Village today.. will eventually pick one up.. good for now though!

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My wife said to stop asking questions and giving pointers…. I think I‘m getting one for Christmas.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Fireboard. Without question, and no I don't work for them. I have the first generation, there's newer models but mine works fine. Very flexible software. Hardware: 6 probes, fan control for temp control (I use a pitviper fan from bbq guruu, again a few years old), connects to my home network. Set up a meat probe, a pit temp probe, and an ambient probe. My extraordinarily fool resistant setup works on charcoal/wood smokers very well, I got rid of my weber smoky mountain 22 as it was just too big, and I use it on my weber kettle now. It's freakin' perfect. Start coals, set up on fireboard, and then just let it tell you when to add more coals. Keeps temp very well in temperate times, for cold days like last christmas, (ambient got as high as 30.4 degrees F) see the graphic below. Spikes in pit temp are when I opened the lid to add coals.

1701712773455.png

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
I use this Redi Chek with two probes (meat and grill) with my Weber kettle. Has wires to probe, which I don't find a problem. Carry the receiver around with me to keep and eye on the cook. Mostly turkeys and salmon. Pretty sure you can get these for <$50.
Redi Check.jpg