What’s up with this line?

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I just picked up a reel on eBay, and excuse my ignorance, but what’s up with the line? Is this just a DIY attempt to add a front loop? Whether I keep the line or replace has yet to be determined, but if I did keep it, do you see any benefit to keep this, or would you cut it off and nail knot on a permanent butt section? I’m certainly comfortable doing that. Thanks as always for the hive mind’s input.

IMG_4106.jpeg

IMG_4107.jpeg

IMG_4108.jpeg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
You have a slightly different type of way the loop was added, but the same principle as this.
The Chinese finger trap for adding a braided loop and is very strong and won’t fail when done properly. The braided material will wear out before the loop ever fails. It’s a excellent technique for making old school shooting heads.
SF

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I cut them off my sinking lines this winter and nail knotted on a tapered butt and ring, but I still run one on my old 6wt 444SL.
20230630_062050.jpg

Otter

Steelhead
The end of the fly line inside the braided loop does not butt up against the loop end, which is why there is a thin section near the loop. That will prevent full transfer of energy from the line to the leader, when casting. (hinging). If you leave that braided loop on, I'd advise cutting the shrink tubing off, then working the fly line all the way in, so it butts up against thick section of the braid. Secure it there with a drop of crazy glue. Then tie on about a half dozen wraps of mono with a nail knot, over the frayed end of the braid, where the shrink tubing used to be. Before tightening the nail knot, make sure the braid is pulled tight up the fly line. Then nip off any frayed ends of the braid above the nail knot, and apply a dab of crazy glue, Pliobond, or other coating to that knot. I prefer Pliobond, since it stays flexible, and lasts forever.

Last edited: