WF8F recommendations.........

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Last month while fishing in Alaska, my Rio Grande WF8F looked like this one evening:
IMG_1734.jpg
Fortunately I had a brand new unused Rio Single Handed Spey (slick cast) WF8F - it worked really well for casting big, heavy rabbit strip flies. But (always a but?) I want to replace the more typical WF8F for casual use (carp) where I'm typically not casting great distances or big, heavy flies. Thoughts? Recommendations appreciated.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Buzzy, my all around 8wt line is still a little over only because I like it to be useful for all sorts of stuff, but it handles everything. Airflo Nymph line. If I need a more delicate presentation, I just extend my leader. But it also rocks in every situation I've put it through. I also really like the Airflo Streamer float line too but it only goes up to 7wt but it's also overweighted and I'll use that with my 8wt and it works there very well as well.

gpt

Smolt
i don't use WF lines in fresh water. try a DT of any brand you choose and be a happy easy casting camper.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Big fan of SA - the infinity is nice and probably close ish to a grande. I haven’t used the mpx in an 8, but like it a lot in smaller sizes.

Also not sure the temps you’re fishing in but the bass bug or an infinity salt could be nice. I have been fishing both for bass and realy
Like them. I have some slower and older 8s (st croix clouser, b2x) and they actually fish nicer with an undersized bass bug, a 6wt on an 8wt. So not to overly complicate it but a 7wt bass bug could be good for ya too.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter

I'm a big fan of the easy casting Wulff TT lines...

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I cheaped out and bought a $30 SA Air Cel WF line in 9 weight for "casual" 8 weight use (bass and salmon). I like it just fine for an all-purpose line.

I'm not sure who, if anyone, even makes an 8 weight double taper any more.

Mike Ediger

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The SA Amplitude Anadro is solid. Mends awesome. Shoots good. Good all around line. It's a half size heavy I believe.
I really like it for moving water for how well it mends.
I think it is actually like 1.5 sizes heavy, which doesn't matter if you like how it casts, and I do especially for indicators and bigger stuff. I don't have an 8wt, but you (Buzzy) said you aren't casting big stuff. In my 5wt and 6wt, I don't love the Amp-Andadro for dries and smaller nymphs. It just isn't going to be subtle if you are trying to quietly drop stuff over spooky carp, at least not with my experience in the lighter weights. Again, 8wt may be different.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I think it is actually like 1.5 sizes heavy, which doesn't matter if you like how it casts, and I do especially for indicators and bigger stuff. I don't have an 8wt, but you (Buzzy) said you aren't casting big stuff. In my 5wt
For carp, I usually am not casting big, heavy flies and certianly not looking for distance as (at least for me) I'm sight casting short distances......... but my Alaska trip was eye opening for hucking big, heavty flies and at times needing to cast further than my skills allowed. So it seems I need multiple lines, that nice line for short casts (the DT maybe) and that heavy WF for big, heavy soaking wet rabbit strip leeches that need to be cast DISTANCE.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I suppose 8 weight fly lines are like boats? One boat is never enough.

gpt

Smolt
For carp, I usually am not casting big, heavy flies and certianly not looking for distance as (at least for me) I'm sight casting short distances......... but my Alaska trip was eye opening for hucking big, heavty flies and at times needing to cast further than my skills allowed. So it seems I need multiple lines, that nice line for short casts (the DT maybe) and that heavy WF for big, heavy soaking wet rabbit strip leeches that need to be cast DISTANCE.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I suppose 8 weight fly lines are like boats? One boat is never enough.
my all time favorite summer steelhead run required at least 80' casts with my DT-F-8. this never presented a problem for me, flies on #4 hooks. now moving into salt and really big fish, the saltwater WF comes into play, all 105' of it.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
my all time favorite summer steelhead run required at least 80' casts with my DT-F-8. this never presented a problem for me, flies on #4 hooks. now moving into salt and really big fish, the saltwater WF comes into play, all 105' of it.
Like I said, you're a better caster than me. Thanks for the input.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Last month while fishing in Alaska, my Rio Grande WF8F looked like this one evening:
View attachment 37081
Fortunately I had a brand new unused Rio Single Handed Spey (slick cast) WF8F - it worked really well for casting big, heavy rabbit strip flies. But (always a but?) I want to replace the more typical WF8F for casual use (carp) where I'm typically not casting great distances or big, heavy flies. Thoughts? Recommendations appreciated.

You're in luck....if you want to try it out