Wetside bassin

I haven't been been to the local wetspot since April. This walk-in pond during the summer months, is over takin by damsels and dragons (band name?) and the bass definitely key in on them. Even leaping out of the water to grab unsuspecting bystanders off the reeds. I had a couple hours and arrived at the pond a little after noon... ideal? No, but when you have two kids you take what you can get..Conditions today were just what I was hoping for, D n Ds all over and some fish rising. After trying a couple other flies, I finally came to my senses and tied on a blue foam dragon.20220611_185713.jpg GAME ON! They didn't come easy but finally started to get some more interest. I probably spooked more fish than I caught, next time I won't be such a lazy SOB and lengthen my leader a bit. They say bass aren't shy, but when they are shallow and a fly line lands 5 feet from them, I beg to differ. Over the course of a couple hours i worked every spot i could find.Screenshot_20220611-195821_Instagram.jpgThis diligence netted me over 50 inches of bass, all on the blue dragon, including this fish of the day. 20220611_152658.jpgScreenshot_20220611-200322_Video Player.jpg
Measured at 18 inches of tank this was the craziest most delicate big bass take I have seen. All I saw was its
nose slowly come up.Like a trout sipping emergers,then all hell broke loose. This bass had my CGR bent in half and eventually earned the reel before coming in. She was definitely the adult in the room with a 5 or 6 juvie bass to the net. I did hook and loose another around the same size (big tug and no jumping). I could have been out till the sun came down, but this is a good sign of a productive summer on the local fishin' hole.

Last edited:

Smith

Steelhead

I haven't been been to the local wetspot since April. This walk-in pond during the summer months, is over takin by damsels and dragons (band name?) and the bass definitely key in on them. Even leaping out of the water to grab unsuspecting bystanders off the reeds. I had a couple hours and arrived at the pond a little after noon... ideal? No, but when you have two kids you take what you can get..Conditions today were just what I was hoping for, D n Ds all over and some fish rising. After trying a couple other flies, I finally came to my senses and tied on a blue foam dragon.View attachment 17992 GAME ON! They didn't come easy but finally started to get some more interest. I probably spooked more fish than I caught, next time I won't be such a lazy SOB and lengthen my leader a bit. They say bass aren't shy, but when they are shallow and a fly line lands 5 feet from them, I beg to differ. Over the course of a couple hours i worked every spot i could find.View attachment 17993This diligence netted me over 50 inches of bass, all on the blue dragon, including this fish of the day. View attachment 17994View attachment 17995
Measured at 18 inches of tank this was the craziest most delicate big bass take I have seen. All I saw was its
nose slowly come up.Like a trout sipping emergers,then all hell broke loose. This bass had my CGR bent in half and eventually earned the reel before coming in. She was definitely the adult in the room with a 5 or 6 juvie bass to the net. I did hook and loose another around the same size (big tug and no jumping). I could have been out till the sun came down, but this is a good sign of a productive summer on the local fishin' hole.

Great looking fly!