Wet Flies for Lakes

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
It is hard to fish a halfback wrong. My first experience was fishing it on a floating line in the surface film during a hatch and having a massive fish take it right at the surface. The take was insignificant, I thought it was probably an 8-10'' fish and was pleasantly surprised.

Then I started fishing it right at the bank in spring and got lots of takes. Nowadays I tie it as a flashback and think it often gets taken for a boatman pattern. I have used it on every line from floater to Type 7 and it just seems to have universal appeal to fish at all depths.

One of the most surprising results came years ago when Coffeepot Lake still had lots of fish. Fishing the closer at the end of September I used a size 12 Halfback on a Type 6 line in 30-40' of water with most of the line off of the spool. I caught fish after fish and this was back when the fish were big and plentiful. How fish could spot that tiny fly down that deep in such a huge lake has always been a mystery to me.

My pattern is very similar to the one that Zak shows but always has a tail. I use pheasant tail fibers fairly short and splay them out. To keep them that way I use a tiny drop of UV and zap it with a light and I also do the same with the legs to keep them away from the body. If you have watched nymphs swim under water you probably noticed that they don't swim with their legs plastered to their body. And they seem to use their tails to navigate much like the rudder and ailerons on a aircraft. They get taken for live nymphs so often that I'm starting to think I might be on to something!
I'd love to see a picture of your tailed, flashback halfback!

RCF

Life of the Party
That looks more like a Carey Bugger with the collar. Here’s the Camo Carey, only need one pheasant rump feather and the “I can’t find this color anywhere“ chenille. View attachment 104191

Dayum ---> well done!

I fish damsels and dragon nymphs almost exclusively in lakes. Why? Because they work! I believe the brownish feather (exoskeleton) with an olive body mimics the natural nymph. They are in the lake year-round and are a major source of food. What amazes me is that a torn up/tattered fly fishes as well as a new one. Maybe because the tattered part looks like legs on the nymph? I think so...

Last edited:

Flymph

Steelhead
So many "Doc Spratley" variations with different names. Hare's ear spider (or your variation) hung 3 feet behind your favorite EHC pattern!!

Reactions: Zak

Islander

Life of the Party
Dayum ---> well done!

I fish damsels and dragon nymphs almost exclusively in lakes. Why? Because they work! I believe the brownish feather (exoskeleton) with an olive body mimics the natural nymph. They are in the lake year-round and are a major source of food. What amazes me is that a torn up/tattered fly fishes as well as a new one. Maybe because the tattered part looks like legs on the nymph? I think so...
I’ve found this to be true also. Sometimes there’s nothing left to a CC except the frayed chenille, some loose thread and a couple strands of the rump feather and it still fishes. 😆

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
That looks more like a Carey Bugger with the collar. Here’s the Camo Carey, only need one pheasant rump feather and the “I can’t find this color anywhere“ chenille. View attachment 104191
So the tail from the same pheasant rump feather (the fluffy stuff?)?

Of course I don't have that magic I can't find this color chenille ;-)

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
@Jeff Dodd mentioned the Six Pack - I haven't tied one in years and haven't spent time wetting one for a long time: my bad as that used to be a really good "go to" fly. I wonder if I should try to tie one "balanced". ;-)

Last edited:

Islander

Life of the Party
So the tail from the same pheasant rump feather (the fluffy stuff?)?

Of course I don't have that magic I can't find this color chenille ;-)
Yes, the tail material is the lower fluffy part and the collar is the top section wrapped and pulled back. There is also a “secondary small feather” (I’m sure it has a name but I don’t know what it’s officially called) attached behind the rump feather, I save these for the collar on the Carey Bugger.