Westside Lake Turnover ?

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Would this be prime time for turnover? I went to Offutt lake today and it was cloudy. I wasn't sure if this is normal this time of year. Not even a strike let alone a fish. I'm trying to learn what time of year to go to a more shallow, less prone lake..

Divad

Whitefish
Took the dogs out last week for an evening few laps around one and it hasn’t mixed yet. 58 degrees ontop, my guess is a couple weeks away for most.

Some good lakes close here soon so enjoy those first, going to try to squeeze one or two in.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
These lakes get pretty warm in the Summer. It's only getting in the mid-forties at night now, so I wonder if that's cold enough to get things mixing. My local lakes all have a lot of plant debris in them now...
A while back we weren't fishing because it was 70 on top, so the longer nights and cooler temps already have it cooling. If the top some feet is 58 as in the above example, and it get colder at night and some depth of the top gets below 58, it will sink through. So the more things that affect that cooling are in place, the more rapidly it will occur. And of course more wind will cause more mixing and cooling if the air is cooler than the water. Tree or mountain shading will reduce solar heating and cause it to cool quicker.
In the know folks will have a good idea of how each lake responds. Keep a diary.

Last edited:

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Would this be prime time for turnover? I went to Offutt lake today and it was cloudy. I wasn't sure if this is normal this time of year. Not even a strike let alone a fish. I'm trying to learn what time of year to go to a more shallow, less prone lake..

Offutt always seems cloudy these days.

BriGuy

Life of the Party
Damn! I wanted to blame my measly catch rate on something besides my inept ability. Go figure...

I find any excuse I can for getting skunked. Murky water is one of my favorite go-to's.

These lakes get pretty warm in the Summer. It's only getting in the mid-forties at night now, so I wonder if that's cold enough to get things mixing. My local lakes all have a lot of plant debris in them now...
I fished the C&R lake not too far north of there Saturday. It was about as clear as it ever gets in that lake. Caught some fish. Surface temp was 58F.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Some days the fish just don't want to play, or you're there at the wrong times. Wife and I fished a few hours Saturday with just a few small fish to hand. And only one wanted the worms my wife had on her slip sinker or bobber rigs.

Attachments

• 20231021_103229.jpg
    20231021_103229.jpg
    692.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: