WDFW On Invasive Green Crabs

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
884CC59B-3A76-4D11-9810-092D4BD24609.jpeg

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
How does releasing them help stop the spread? Are they worried that someone will take a live green crab and accidently release it somewhere else to proliferate new territory?

ABITNF

Steelhead
I've seen these before in Nootka Sound, Vancouver Island and they don't look at all like any native crab. The identifying characteristic is the five spines or horns from the eyes towards the pincher claws. The colour is also different from other similar species of crabs that are harvested commercially. I can't understand the logic of releasing an invasive species back into the environment. They should be eradicated in my opinion even though they're harvested as food in some European countries, they pose a threat to our native harvestable Dungeness and Red Rock crabs.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The train has already left the station. I get a kick out of the energy put into stopping invasives. Especially ones that hide under rocks. Name one that has been successful. We now have green crabs to go along with the sea squirts and the knotweed and the blackberries and whatever else. Still waiting to see where the next killer hornet sighting will be, although they may have got onto that one in time to do something.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I think this is a microcosm of modern government in action. So many cooks in the kitchen with so many different objectives that the decision is to do nothing and monitor the situation.

I heard these green crabs eat native crabs. Id guess in a few years we won’t be able to crab anymore and the green crab biologist fleet will be out there in full force monitoring the situation. Don’t worry they will have a solution soon!

ABITNF

Steelhead
The train has already left the station. I get a kick out of the energy put into stopping invasives. Especially ones that hide under rocks. Name one that has been successful. We now have green crabs to go along with the sea squirts and the knotweed and the blackberries and whatever else. Still waiting to see where the next killer hornet sighting will be, although they may have got onto that one in time to do something.
I can name a few that have been very successful.

The Japanese Oyster - imported here to create a fishery after most of the native Olympia Oysters were harvested.

The Manilla Clam - the spat of which arrived here on the shells of the Japanese Oyster and now makes up the majority of commercial and recreational catches, and is being propagated on shellfish leases throughout the PNW.

The Varnish Clam - a more recent arrival that has really taken off which it's believed arrived in ballast water from Asian cargo ships.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I can name a few that have been very successful.

The Japanese Oyster - imported here to create a fishery after most of the native Olympia Oysters were harvested.

The Manilla Clam - the spat of which arrived here on the shells of the Japanese Oyster and now makes up the majority of commercial and recreational catches, and is being propagated on shellfish leases throughout the PNW.

The Varnish Clam - a more recent arrival that has really taken off which it's believed arrived in ballast water from Asian cargo ships.
I don't mean successfully reproducing in our foreign to them land or water. I mean successfully eradicated.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
In that case, what's the point in printing the species specific information about green crabs? How will taking photos and reporting the sighting to WDFW make any difference?
From https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/invasive/carcinus-maenas:

If you find a suspected European green crab or its shell in Washington, report it as soon as possible using the form on this webpage. Download the Crab Identification Guide and take pictures to confirm identification. At this time, we are not asking the public to kill suspected green crabs. This may sound counterintuitive but is intended to protect native crabs from cases of mistaken identity. As a Prohibited species, it is illegal to possess a live European green crab in Washington.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Being green and all they ought to be pretty easy to spot on the toilet seat.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes, they've got their finest people working on it now. Consultations, roundtables, focus groups, studies, reports to select government standing committees are coming soon. We should all feel better now.

This is another shining example of crack management teams at the WDFW doing what they do. Effectively nothing. The WDFW is the appendix of Washington. It's there, nobody knows what it does, and if removed you likely wouldn't miss it. In fact it's so infected and necrotic the best course of action might be to remove it. I'm done carrying water for that organization. I think the best thing would be to remove it and start fresh.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
This is another shining example of crack management teams at the WDFW doing what they do. Effectively nothing. The WDFW is the appendix of Washington. It's there, nobody knows what it does, and if removed you likely wouldn't miss it. In fact it's so infected and necrotic the best course of action might be to remove it. I'm done carrying water for that organization. I think the best thing would be to remove it and start fresh.

Daaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnn

Pescaphile

Steelhead
WDFW says: "Stop the spread of invasive European Green Crabs!"

WDFW tells public how to identify an invasive European Green Crab.

WDFW says to public: "If you do catch an invasive European Green Crab, you must release it back into the ecosystem that we're trying to prevent them from invading"

You just can't make this stuff up. Nosiree, you actually have to pay large sums of money to leagues of bureaucrats (and probably a few consultants too) to get this. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.