SFR Waterproof Phone Case

Sorta fishing-related

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I always carry my cell phone with me fishing and hiking so I can use a fishing log, Fish Washington, Gaia maps, and a couple of other apps when I'm out. I kept it in my sling pack's strap pocket for instant access. But I took a quick "dip" while wet wading last week and surprise, surprise, the IP68 rating for my S10e phone was BS. Water penetrated the front and rear camera lenses and broke the camera. Putting the camera into a plastic bag with rice, then again with silica gel would not fix it.

Vzw was running a special that if I upgraded to an "unlimited 5G senior plan" and added a 2nd 5G line (Mrs Brian already had 5G) they'd give me $800 for a trade-in of the damaged phone towards the $1K S22 price. It also reduces our monthly cell bill by $20-$40 and removes the data and text limits we had, but never bumped into. That would have been hard to turn down.

So, I now have a 256 GB Galaxy S22+ 5G with the fingerprint reader on the screen instead of the power switch and am looking for a waterproof case for fishing and hiking. I don't need a big herc'n case; the phone's already way bigger than my S10. It won't fit in my strap pouch and I have yet to figure out the ergonomics for carry and use while on stream - in the field.

I want to use a slimmer (Otterbox Commuter) case with a tempered glass screen protector for EDC. Now the on-screen fingerprint reader works real well with the glass screen protector but it sounds like there may be an issue with that extra layer of glass in a totally enclosed waterproof case that needs to have "fingerprint film" on the case's screen protector for the fingerprint reader to work properly. But I might not need it since I can also swipe the screen and use a PIN or facial recognition to unlock the phone.

Is there anyone who uses a larger ~6.6"-ish phone when they're on-stream-in the field, and can recommend a waterproof case plus tips on carry with quick - access when wet wading?

G_Smolt

Legend
I have the s21Ultra and have it in an Otter just for drop protection. It spent about 25 minutes in the river one day this year after it fell out of my pocket while netting a fish...when my guest was done fishing that particular hole we were walking back upstream when I saw it and thought "Man, someone is gonna be bummed their phone went missing..." Then I patted my pocket and realized that person was me. Fished it out, dried off the screen, and text my wife a big thank-you for buying me a phone that could withstand a dunking.

There are a few companies that make a silicone "web" with an attached tether for the new big-ass Samsungs, and I think I'm gonna invest in one of those as an added safety measure so I don't actually lose it outright one day.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I use a waterproof box, for my phone and car key. I'm more concerned about impact protection than water, but the box provides both. It also means I don't have to carry a ridiculously huge phone case all day, when I'm not fishing. True waterproof phone cases are not easy to take on and off, so you have to commit.

Scottybs

Head Master Flyfisher In Charge
Forum Supporter
Brian, I used to use the expensive Lifeproof case, until it proved not to be saltwaterproof in my pocket and fried my phone, ever since then I’ve gone to cheaper amazon versions and have been very pleased with the performance.

Divad

Whitefish
Your s22 is waterproof up to a 1.5m I believe. I’d get a case that has a lanyard slot or make one on any case. I’m not a proponent of waterproof cases for many reasons, agree with @Scottybs .

I know this isn’t exactly answering the case search but I’d recommend this approach over the waterproof cases.

C87E6EFE-1F5B-420D-9BF8-122BF43B57F8.jpeg

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Last edited:

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Your s22 is waterproof up to a 1.5m I believe. I’d get a case that has a lanyard slot or make one on any case. I’m not a proponent of waterproof cases for many reasons, agree with @Scottybs .

I know this isn’t exactly answering the case search but I’d recommend this approach over the waterproof cases.

View attachment 30887
That's what I had for my last phone; an Otterbox Commuter with some 20lb braid threaded through the USB and speaker ports to clip a leash to. Unfortunately my <10 second dip in knee deep water putting the phone in the pack strap pouch just under the surface (the top of my shoulder strap was dry) revealed the phone's IP68 - 2 meters for upto 30 minutes waterproof rating was BS.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Every iPhone that I have owned has lived 24/7 from day one in a LifeProof case with a lanyard attached (to the factory provided place). I always clip the lanyard to a belt loop, even around the house or in town so I don’t forget it or drop it. It’s a habit that helps me keep my phone safe when I am out on the water, especially when taking pics. The only problem that I have had with the cases is when I didn’t properly close the charging port door but very little water got in and the phone was fine.

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Every iPhone that I have owned has lived 24/7 from day one in a LifeProof case with a lanyard attached (to the factory provided place). I always clip the lanyard to a belt loop, even around the house or in town so I don’t forget it or drop it. It’s a habit that helps me keep my phone safe when I am out on the water, especially when taking pics. The only problem that I have had with the cases is when I didn’t properly close the charging port door but very little water got in and the phone was fine.
Which Lifeproof case? I don't see any for my S22 Plus that are rated "waterPROOF".

Otter

Steelhead
I once bought a Lifeproof case for my iPhone SE Gen.1. It was a way overpriced, ($75?) but still a bit less than a Otterbox, and also a bit less bulky. It was waterproof for maybe a year or two, until the rubbery coating on the mute toggle switch wore through. That switch sticks out, and wears against things, especially with my belt case. That was its weak link. Bad design. Then I went Amazon, and bought a cheaper copy of the Lifeproof; like this one:

I think it was about $25.

It's still waterproof after about 5 years. It has a hard rotary dial for the mute switch, instead of a toggle. Good design.
When I go fishing, I stretch one of these silicone rubber holders around it, and hang it around my neck. That way, it will never fall into the drink, and it's instantly at hand for photos.:

I think mine was about $10.

I don't like going the Amazon-made-in-China route, but I couldn't find anything like these two products made in North America.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Which Lifeproof case? I don't see any for my S22 Plus that are rated "waterPROOF".
Darn, it looks like since Otterbox bought them, the offerings have gone downhill. I use the Fre model but it doesn’t look like there is one for your phone.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
When fishing or boating I keep my phone in a plastic zip lock bag. It's not 100% waterproof for long submergence, but works for ordinary short dunks. Also use them for my camera and wallet. I should also put my car key in one, cuz who knows how vulnerable that remote fob is if it gets dunked.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Leave my phone in the truck most of the time, let my buddies take the pics...
Watched them drop phones in the river a few times.
;)

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
The price of phones has me rethinking my habits. I'm going back to keeping my phone in a ziplock and carrying my $100 snapshot digital camera. Kerry took this pic...it gets the job done.
View attachment 31052
Yeah, I use a fishing log app that captures date-time, GPS coordinates, rod-reel-line, fly, and attaches photos on my phone when I hook-land a fish. Sometimes I set a waypoint after I hook-LDR a notable fish and attach a photo for future reference. My MOLLE sling pack strap pouch has 2 pockets. I've been able to keep my old smaller phones in the outer sleeve pocket with a flap closure and my Olympus TG5 in the larger zippered pocket; both for instant access.

1662657076466.png1662657027130.png1662657415345.png
I usually take a photo of the fish in my Measure Net with the TG5, then release the fish. Then I often also take a photo of where the fish was hooked. Next I connect the TG5 to the phone via WiFi and transfer the TG5 photos to the phone and attach the photos to the catch (or waypoint) record. To speed up the logging process, ergonomics of safe-easy stowage and access when wearing a sling pack with a cross-chest strap plus functionality of the phone are important. I now have a waterproof phone pouch with a lanyard but the fingerprint reader won't work with it. Another issue is the larger 6.6" phone won't fit in either of the pouch's pockets in just the slim Otterbox Commuter case so I need to deal with that too.

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
I should also put my car key in one, cuz who knows how vulnerable that remote fob is if it gets dunked.
My fishing rig is an older SUV with a old school key and a separate fob to lock doors and set the alarm. I detach the fob from the key clip and store it in the center console. Then I lock the car with the key that will activate the alarm and fasten the key clip to a leash in my pack.

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Yeah, I use a fishing log app that captures date-time, GPS coordinates, rod-reel-line, fly, and attaches photos on my phone when I hook-land a fish. Sometimes I set a waypoint after I hook-LDR a notable fish and attach a photo for future reference. My MOLLE sling pack strap pouch has 2 pockets. I've been able to keep my old smaller phones in the outer sleeve pocket with a flap closure and my Olympus TG5 in the larger zippered pocket; both for instant access.

View attachment 31103View attachment 31102View attachment 31104
I usually take a photo of the fish in my Measure Net with the TG5, then release the fish. Then I often also take a photo of where the fish was hooked. Next I connect the TG5 to the phone via WiFi and transfer the TG5 photos to the phone and attach the photos to the catch (or waypoint) record. To speed up the logging process, ergonomics of safe-easy stowage and access when wearing a sling pack with a cross-chest strap plus functionality of the phone are important. I now have a waterproof phone pouch with a lanyard but the fingerprint reader won't work with it. Another issue is the larger 6.6" phone won't fit in either of the pouch's pockets in just the slim Otterbox Commuter case so I need to deal with that too.
Ok...that's too complicated for me.
My fishing rig is an older SUV with a old school key and a separate fob to lock doors and set the alarm. I detach the fob from the key clip and store it in the center console. Then I lock the car with the key that will activate the alarm and fasten the key clip to a leash in my pack.
Ditto...:)

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Ok...that's too complicated for me.
It's not too difficult and satisfies my OCD for capturing details about my trips. The app helps streamline the process by automatically entering date-time-GPS data points. The fish species, rod-reel-line-fly remain persistent from one catch input to the next. The image file transfer from the camera to the phone and attaching to the catch record takes the most time but does go fairly quick.